Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On 22/08/2018 at 09:55, snowychap said:

Eponymous statutes

But, mate. If it wasn't called "Nelson's column" what would you call it? I mean most statutes are of people whose name is their name. Unless it's a statute of an aminal or something. 

And if it was a statute of an unknown German soldier from the war, it would be Eponymous Bosch.

#knowingaboutculture 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Going to the dump.  My Dad's downsizing so we are getting rid of a load of crap, but the dump is now closed Tuesday and Wednesday so going on a Thursday is painfully slow.  Doesn't help that people just fanny around without a care in the world even though there are about 25 cars queuing to get in, and they don't organise their stuff before they leave home either so they take about 4 times as long.

This Nazanin lady in prison in Iran, why don’t we just tell them to **** off, go full on SAS and go in and get her out or is she not as innocent as she appears? **** backwards third world bastards. 

Edited by Ingram85

On 22/08/2018 at 11:19, turvontour said:

BBC reporting that a teenager has been convicted of kicking a dog to death in what was described as a prolonged attack. 

He has been banned from keeping animals for 5 years.

5 years ffs.

He should be kicked for 5 year. word removed.

• Like 1

I heard that programme too. Very moving. 

EDIT: Not an anniversary, but the 150th episode of the series ('The Reunion'). 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Cracking typo btw :crylaugh:

There are horrendous stories that we just never hear.  Probably for the best in terms of mental health.  But yeah, I'm glad you still have hope for humanity.  Regarding "Can't we just start at being nice, caring, decent people first?".  We're a savage species at heart.  We have a society by the skin of its teeth.  It takes very little for us to systemically turn on each other, and even less to do it on an individual basis.  This current climate of antipathy towards the very people our governments have displaced through war is only the latest in thousands of years of war and human selfishness (that's mine, you're not having it).  For me tbqh we're already ****.  The planet's health has gone past its tipping point too.  The bus has already driven off the cliff.  The fact we're still sitting comfy on the bus at this point in time is of artificial comfort.  Just get on with your life.  Let the rest take care of itself, as it has so spectacularly to this point.  The alternative is a perpetual and increasing state of anger towards the world as you become more aware of what's going on and what went on before.  Not quite 'ignorance is bliss' (although that adage is no doubt true), more an acceptance that you won't change the world no matter how much a pink haired hippy would like to tell you otherwise.

Goddamn Boarders, with all their boarders and stuff.. :lol: D'oh!

Any who, I'm fully aware I can't change nout.  And I know that other people won't change anything either.  It's not just "us", it's others as well.

We are a savage species, I've been reading "Sapiens" for a very short time and it nails that it it's first chapter! 

It was just one of those little moments we have in our lives at some point, a bit of clarity amongst the everyday normal of "Work, commute, eat, sleep, repeat".  In an hour I'll be hungry and thinking about pizza, I'll post some random shit and try my best to get into trouble with the mods :D, I'll sneak home early from work, I'll "carry on".

But for that small moment, I was taken away from that, and this is my little platform.  Thanks for reading it and taking the time out of your life to comment I guess!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Any who, I'm fully aware I can't change nout.  And I know that other people won't change anything either.  It's not just "us", it's others as well.

Yeah, we can't change anything of consequence, but it's surprising what little changes we can bring about. Because I'm weird I do little challenge thing I set myself. Often in the canteen at work. I've had three recent successes - all involving "miserable" people serving or working the tills. The first one was "I'm gonna make that person smile" (person was always grimly mopey). After about 3 weeks of various lame quips etc. on my part I got a friendly smile and a laugh. (yeah, yeah, then I put it way again...).

Next was a till person. I'm gonna get them them to chat to me (they'd barely utter the cost before that)...

Similar with Sandwich making person - "what crisps do you recommend with a cheese and tomato sandwich?" just stupid stuff...so now they're recommending "salad cream on that is my favourite" or whatever.

So basically I've made 3 caterers think I'm a bit of a simpleton idiot, but they're definitely cheerier now (or have perfected their acting skills  - win either way).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yeah, we can't change anything of consequence, but it's surprising what little changes we can bring about. Because I'm weird I do little challenge thing I set myself. Often in the canteen at work. I've had three recent successes - all involving "miserable" people serving or working the tills. The first one was "I'm gonna make that person smile" (person was always grimly mopey). After about 3 weeks of various lame quips etc. on my part I got a friendly smile and a laugh. (yeah, yeah, then I put it way again...).

Next was a till person. I'm gonna get them them to chat to me (they'd barely utter the cost before that)...

Similar with Sandwich making person - "what crisps do you recommend with a cheese and tomato sandwich?" just stupid stuff...so now they're recommending "salad cream on that is my favourite" or whatever.

So basically I've made 3 caterers think I'm a bit of a simpleton idiot, but they're definitely cheerier now (or have perfected their acting skills  - win either way).

[Internally]

"Oh god, here comes that dipshit asking about feckin sauces again.."

[Audibly]

"Oh hey Blandy, little guy! Have you tried TOM-A-TO SAUCE before?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just been to do some food shopping and pick up a parcel we ordered from John Lewis at Waitrose

Refused to give me the parcel, even though I had the barcode from the email and the card the missus paid for the item with.

I was asked for photo ID. Went to the car to fetch my PH drivers licence issued by the council

Sorry, it has to be an official photo ID. It is, its officially my PHD Licence, look its issued by the council and thats me... pointless argument ensues

I go home, pick up my passport, go back. The passport is given a cursory glance and I get the parcel

They do not make a note of my name or anything. I merely proved I was myself to the person handing over the parcel

I asked what they think they've just achieved... they can't tell me

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just been to do some food shopping and pick up a parcel we ordered from John Lewis at Waitrose

Refused to give me the parcel, even though I had the barcode from the email and the card the missus paid for the item with.

I was asked for photo ID. Went to the car to fetch my PH drivers licence issued by the council

Sorry, it has to be an official photo ID. It is, its officially my PHD Licence, look its issued by the council and thats me... pointless argument ensues

I go home, pick up my passport, go back. The passport is given a cursory glance and I get the parcel

They do not make a note of my name or anything. I merely proved I was myself to the person handing over the parcel

People like this get right on my f***ing nerves.

Useless little pen pushing anal b@$tards.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

My tactic is usually to not be accommodating if I haven’t got my driver’s license or passport in situations like this. I look blankly in their eyes when they ask the question and say “nope”, and don’t move. Ball’s in your court, Karen.

Success rates:

ID for alcohol in a supermarket: 100% (beard and tattoos and being 30 help)

Picking up parcels from courier depots: 95% (like you had bickster, the other ID should have been enough)

Airport security: 0%

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â