theunderstudy

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Good spot, for a shandy drinker.

Hahahaha - You'll be matching my intake next time then?

Magic :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ender4 said:

yeah, i think we went way off on a tangent. I can't even remember the original point! I think i was just saying that CAMRA always state the number of pubs closing without mentioning the number of pubs opening. 

My other point to Mooney was that i feel more welcome in the newer style pubs, than the older style pubs. I like to try new places a lot as well as my weekly trip to my usual pub.

I've been to lots of pubs in the last 12 months outside my own city and that ive never been to before. There were 2-3 that made me feel a little uncomfortable about being there (myself being non-white and with wife and kids in tow). I guess i was talking about those places to Mooney, and thinking they wouldn't be any great loss.

Yeah, I wasn't intentionally attacking your pub-ed-ness :D As for the uncomfortable thing...I was getting to that :)

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Of course, i'm generalising, there will always be a minority that are the opposite to the rule. 

Were these old pubs ever that welcoming to females, ethnic minorities, families, etc? 

That entirely depends on the management. Nothing at all to do with pubs or the trade. In the same way that some homophobes want to run homophobic guest houses n that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Overpriced, 'curated, artisanal, craft gin' places, full of hipsters, and looking more like art galleries than pubs.

Even they aren't doing so well it seems (I have no idea about these lot maybe they were just fraudsters or idiots but I remembered the recent story about hipster Gin!)

A company which runs gin festivals across the UK has gone into administration, leaving 20,000 advance ticketholders out of pocket. Gin Festival Limited, based in Keighley, West Yorkshire, was placed in administration on Thursday. As a result, 20 planned festivals have been cancelled and 27 members of staff will be made redundant.

The firm's directors said it was an "extremely difficult time" for all involved.

Cancelled events include Gin Festival Norwich, which was due to take place at the weekend and was a near sell-out. Ticketholders for events in Sandown, Worcester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Lincoln, Portsmouth, London, Wakefield, St Albans, Sheffield, Oxford, Edinburgh and Leicester, will also not be reimbursed. Donna Hills, who was due to attend the Norwich event, said she only found out on social media after seeing a post from a friend.

"It has not been handled well," she said.

Susan Todd, from Great Yarmouth, said she too only found out after a friend posted on Facebook. She said she was unable to get any answers from the firm. Tickets for the Norwich event were advertised for sale at £14. In a statement on social media, Gin Festival Limited - which traded as GinFestival.com - said it had "tried everything we could to rescue the business".

"After five years of hard work and passion, this was not a decision we have taken lightly and personally this will mean we lose our home and everything we have worked hard to build," it said.

Julian Pitts, of administrators Begbies Traynor, said: "Our aim was, of course, to find a purchaser for the business as a going concern in order to safeguard the jobs, but unfortunately, despite our efforts, this did not prove possible."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-44740002

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Shit beer in pubs. I'm not a hipster craft ale snob but so many places serve the same horrible piss. I'd just like my lager to actually taste of something.

(You fancy city dwelling folk may not have to suffer this as frequently.)

And this deserves a place in here because going out to the pub for a few pints should not be something that pisses me off. Won't even get started on the prices...

They serve the horrible piss as it sells the best and is the cheapest. 99% of punters are more interested in quantity over quality and want to sink 10 pints of Carling. 

Carling is tasteless piss. Had a pint today after work, and it was shite. Much prefer Stella, but that can be a bit heavy. 

Sticky rice. I don't understand it. I eat it, but it just seems to be an unpleasant texture to me. 

5 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Sticky rice. I don't understand it. I eat it, but it just seems to be an unpleasant texture to me. 

Sticky rice? 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Sticky rice? 

Yeah. Sticky rice. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah. Sticky rice. 

Like,  Sticky toffee pudding? If it's anything like that, then I don't see what Pompey lad is moaning about. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Sticky rice? 

You get it with Thai food. 

instant-pot-sticky-rice-recipe-1-820x511

My wife made a homemade Chinese yesterday. It was lovely, even though the rice looked a cross between soup and potatoes.

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It just looks like rice to me. Normal rice. 

But sticky!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

They serve the horrible piss as it sells the best and is the cheapest. 99% of punters are more interested in quantity over quality and want to sink 10 pints of Carling. 

what i've found is an increasing number of my mates know that its absolute piss but would rather ask for a dash or more usually lime (if you walk in to the station in kiddy* and ask for a "kiddy cocktail" you'll get a carling and lime - *best pub in kiddy by a distance) than try a better beer such as moretti

sticky rice is glutinous rice (which sounds misleading because its actually gluten free) its real easy to cook, you can get it from any of the chinese supermarkets in brum IMO its the best rice, stick it in the middle of a curry and it'll hold rather than just breaking up in to the sauce

The spider season has started. 

This in itself doesn't piss me off, they don't bother me at all. 

It's the frequent hysterical shrieks from the missus. God knows how she'd react if there was actually something harmful in the room. 

• Haha 1

There’s always the “hmmm are spiders scared of conkers?” discussion to be had. I’ve read peppermint oil is meant to be effective, but never tried it.

I don’t mind spiders, if I see a biggish spider across the room I’ll gather him up and show him the door. No bother. 

That said, if I saw that a spider was crawling up my shoulder, I’d freak out.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

There’s always the “hmmm are spiders scared of conkers?” discussion to be had. I’ve read peppermint oil is meant to be effective, but never tried it.

I don’t mind spiders, if I see a biggish spider across the room I’ll gather him up and show him the door. No bother. 

That said, if I saw that a spider was crawling up my shoulder, I’d freak out.

Of course. That's "being startled by the unexpected". It's the panic at seeing a 10p-sized spider minding its own business on a wall, that I don't get.