Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

26 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The rest of it is fake news too I'm afraid. The total number of pubs in the UK is currently around the 50,000 mark. 18 years ago it was around the 60,000 mark. I wouldn't call that small myself. Although BOF's point about the rate of decline is pertinant.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/310723/total-number-of-pubs-in-the-united-kingdom/

So not the predicted 25% drop, (Just an 'actually pretty small' 16%!!) but still thousands and thousands of jobs and whilst that fall, as you say, was tempered by the opening of new establishments and a certain amount of that was a change in culture it's hardly a drop in the ocean - so for example around 10 years ago - (When admittedly the gap is at it's widest to illustrate my point :thumb: )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8161793.stm

I think the problem there is what they are classifying as a 'pub'.  

Because more places now serve food, there are less venues counted as pubs, and more counted as casual dining places (in essence a pub that focuses on food). 

I'm not denying the old-style pubs are disappearing, i just think we have to be careful with the numbers being presented.  

there seems to be a reverse correlation between increase in 'casual restaurants' and the decrease in 'pubs'.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'm not sure the welcoming traditional open fireplace ones will be the ones that are closing anyway.

I'm afraid they are, and if you step out of the larger towns and city's it's the loss of the 'community' pub that is in largest decline. Obviously there are factors about decreasing rural populations, drink driving law changes and so on that have an overall effect over time but it's those quaint little seaside/village boozers that are being wiped out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm afraid they are, and if you step out of the larger towns and city's it's the loss of the 'community' pub that is in largest decline. Obviously there are factors about decreasing rural populations, drink driving law changes and so on that have an overall effect over time but it's those quaint little seaside/village boozers that are being wiped out.

thats fair enough. I live in a large city, so have been seeing the shift in type of place but no overall decline in my local area. 

Edited by ender4

Just now, ender4 said:

I think the problem there is what they are classifying as a 'pub'.  

Because more places now serve food, there are less venues counted as pubs, and more counted as casual dining places (in essence a pub that focuses on food). 

I'm not denying the old-style pubs are disappearing, i just think we have to be careful with the numbers being presented.  

there seems to be a reverse correlation between increase in 'casual restaurants' and the decrease in 'pubs'.

I appreciate your point about statistics. You're very much preaching to the converted when it comes to needing to know how they have worked it out. - and I cannot stand by the ones from CAMRA or STATISTA on that basis - that does not automatically make them spurious or questionable though.

I must admit I don't understand the point you are making though, somewhere serving food does not change in classification. If you honestly believe there are still loads of pubs around that don't serve food I would question when the last time you went to a pub actually was. (I am not suggesting they don't exist)

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I appreciate your point about statistics. You're very much preaching to the converted when it comes to needing to know how they have worked it out. - and I cannot stand by the ones from CAMRA or STATISTA on that basis - that does not automatically make them spurious or questionable though.

I must admit I don't understand the point you are making though, somewhere serving food does not change in classification. If you honestly believe there are still loads of pubs around that don't serve food I would question when the last time you went to a pub actually was. (I am not suggesting they don't exist)

yeah, i think we went way off on a tangent. I can't even remember the original point!

I think i was just saying that CAMRA always state the number of pubs closing without mentioning the number of pubs opening. 

My other point to Mooney was that i feel more welcome in the newer style pubs, than the older style pubs.

I like to try new places a lot as well as my weekly trip to my usual pub.

I've been to lots of pubs in the last 12 months outside my own city and that ive never been to before. There were 2-3 that made me feel a little uncomfortable about being there (myself being non-white and with wife and kids in tow). I guess i was talking about those places to Mooney, and thinking they wouldn't be any great loss. 

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

awil-pic-3.jpg

The Sodomised Lamb?

I'm done with flowery pale ales in pretty cans. Bored shitless with them.

My neighbour,  Francis - Nice guy, has started a Pilsner. It's going to be a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to it.

He's also considering brewing a dunkel beer, which would be a right result!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

The Sodomised Lamb?

I'm done with flowery pale ales in pretty cans. Bored shitless with them.

My neighbour,  Francis - Nice guy, has started a Pilsner. It's going to be a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to it.

He's also considering brewing a dunkel beer, which would be a right result!

'tis indeed the borderline racist suggestion lamb. Good spot, for a shandy drinker.

I interviewed someone for a job yesterday, a soft chat of an interview at a neutral venue, a coffee shop. I had a skinny flat white to show off my knowledge of coffee beyond cappucino. He had two cans of some obscure pale ale. Two. 

He has not been successful in his application, at this time. 

Edited by chrisp65
added shandy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

'tis indeed the borderline racist suggestion lamb. Good spot, for a shandy drinker.

I interviewed someone for a job yesterday, a soft chat of an interview at a neutral venue, a coffee shop. I had a skinny flat white to show off my knowledge of coffee beyond cappucino. He had two cans of some obscure pale ale. Two. 

He has not been successful in his application, at this time. 

Yeah, we won't have lightweights around here.  Four or GTFO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ender4 said:

yeah, i think we went way off on a tangent. I can't even remember the original point! I think i was just saying that CAMRA always state the number of pubs closing without mentioning the number of pubs opening. 

My other point to Mooney was that i feel more welcome in the newer style pubs, than the older style pubs. I like to try new places a lot as well as my weekly trip to my usual pub.

I've been to lots of pubs in the last 12 months outside my own city and that ive never been to before. There were 2-3 that made me feel a little uncomfortable about being there (myself being non-white and with wife and kids in tow). I guess i was talking about those places to Mooney, and thinking they wouldn't be any great loss.

Yeah, I wasn't intentionally attacking your pub-ed-ness :D As for the uncomfortable thing...I was getting to that :)

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Of course, i'm generalising, there will always be a minority that are the opposite to the rule. 

Were these old pubs ever that welcoming to females, ethnic minorities, families, etc? 

That entirely depends on the management. Nothing at all to do with pubs or the trade. In the same way that some homophobes want to run homophobic guest houses n that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Overpriced, 'curated, artisanal, craft gin' places, full of hipsters, and looking more like art galleries than pubs.

Even they aren't doing so well it seems (I have no idea about these lot maybe they were just fraudsters or idiots but I remembered the recent story about hipster Gin!)

A company which runs gin festivals across the UK has gone into administration, leaving 20,000 advance ticketholders out of pocket. Gin Festival Limited, based in Keighley, West Yorkshire, was placed in administration on Thursday. As a result, 20 planned festivals have been cancelled and 27 members of staff will be made redundant.

The firm's directors said it was an "extremely difficult time" for all involved.

Cancelled events include Gin Festival Norwich, which was due to take place at the weekend and was a near sell-out. Ticketholders for events in Sandown, Worcester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Lincoln, Portsmouth, London, Wakefield, St Albans, Sheffield, Oxford, Edinburgh and Leicester, will also not be reimbursed. Donna Hills, who was due to attend the Norwich event, said she only found out on social media after seeing a post from a friend.

"It has not been handled well," she said.

Susan Todd, from Great Yarmouth, said she too only found out after a friend posted on Facebook. She said she was unable to get any answers from the firm. Tickets for the Norwich event were advertised for sale at £14. In a statement on social media, Gin Festival Limited - which traded as GinFestival.com - said it had "tried everything we could to rescue the business".

"After five years of hard work and passion, this was not a decision we have taken lightly and personally this will mean we lose our home and everything we have worked hard to build," it said.

Julian Pitts, of administrators Begbies Traynor, said: "Our aim was, of course, to find a purchaser for the business as a going concern in order to safeguard the jobs, but unfortunately, despite our efforts, this did not prove possible."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-44740002

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Shit beer in pubs. I'm not a hipster craft ale snob but so many places serve the same horrible piss. I'd just like my lager to actually taste of something.

(You fancy city dwelling folk may not have to suffer this as frequently.)

And this deserves a place in here because going out to the pub for a few pints should not be something that pisses me off. Won't even get started on the prices...

They serve the horrible piss as it sells the best and is the cheapest. 99% of punters are more interested in quantity over quality and want to sink 10 pints of Carling. 

Â