Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I lived in Clapham for two years 1981-1982. Lived in a squat and worked in the West End, in the wine trade. I would do it all again tomorrow, and if I could afford it I would probably live there now.

Nah Paris is alright, my daughter lives there atm. She live in a flat on the very wide street leading down from Les Invalides. The centre of the road is a huge communal grassy area. Do the council come and cut the grass? nah, why bother... just install goats during the summer. Obviously works there

Here, they'd be someones tea in next to no time

If I had my time again, i'd 'do London'. Move down there for a few years and see what happens

Nowadays I find myself looking for quieter places to reside. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Amanda Holden - I just find her loathsome on every level. 

Yeah I’m glad i’m not the only one who thinks there’s something off about her.

At the time, I remember being surprised how when she had that affair while being married to Les Dennis, she came out of it fairly well and Neil Morrissey was given loads of stick (or at least that’s how I remember it anyway).

You get the impression that she married Les Dennis solely as a career move.

She was ok in the grimleys though.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

My car repair drama is ever lasting, they’d had it 2 weeks and the part they were waiting for was in on Friday, but they needed the head technician to reset the turbo and only he could do it apparently but he was on a course.

The courtesy car I battled to get only went and got a puncture yesterday. Which they’ve said I have to pay for, with no exceptions

My Mrs collected the car today and took it home, to notice that the front number plate was cracked and a grill displaced.

So they probably aren’t going to enjoy it when I visit them first thing in the morning. 

12 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My Mrs collected the car today and took it home, to notice that the front number plate was cracked and a grill displaced.

So they probably aren’t going to enjoy it when I visit them first thing in the morning. 

Good luck proving to them that "it wasn't like that already" ?

Don't trust car mechanics, never have.

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Good luck proving to them that "it wasn't like that already" ?

Don't trust car mechanics, never have.

They were spared me as I forgot our baby had a routine check up so the Mrs had to use the car. She’s taking it in now. 

It definitely wasn’t like it before but as you say, i’m expecting that response.

It’s not as bad as I was expecting the grill  has been displaced (it wasn’t necessary for the work) but should just need pushing back in. Number plate looks like a stone might of hit it. Rather than it’s been bumped. It has all happened while they had it though.

We’ve had to pay for the tyre and have a feeling they are going to bill us for the puncture repair glue that we had to use. So watch this space whether they get their visit from me.

*update*  The grill is back in place, they are not doing anything about the crack and ‘letting us off’ replacing the gunk.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

On 20/05/2018 at 16:41, bickster said:

Nah Paris is alright, my daughter lives there atm. She live in a flat on the very wide street leading down from Les Invalides. The centre of the road is a huge communal grassy area. Do the council come and cut the grass? nah, why bother... just install goats during the summer. Obviously works there

Here, they'd be someones tea in next to no time

always amazed how many people don't like Paris 

it's a fantastic city , I've lost count how many times I've been but there's always something new to see

they need to sort their drains out though  !!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it's a fantastic city , I've lost count how many times I've been but there's always something new to see

they need to sort their drains out though  !!

Have you been to the doctors? This is Paris, France not Paris, Texas we're talking about ???

When did you become a secret Francophile?

• Haha 1

On 20/05/2018 at 14:44, mjmooney said:

I agree. The only major/capital city I've been to that isn't like that is Amsterdam - very relaxed atmosphere. 

I wonder why? ?

Come to Dublin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have you been to the doctors? This is Paris, France not Paris, Texas we're talking about ???

When did you become a secret Francophile?

I was going to write , it's a fantastic city  .... "apart from the French"  in my statement but just took it for granted that everyone knew that :)

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

:wave:

Massively over-rated stinking shithole full of ignorance and rudeness, and dangerous way beyond the norm of a major city.  I'm confident I'll never step foot in France, never mind Paris, for the rest of my life.  I actively avoid it.  Have had some horrible experiences over there and life's too short to waste holidays and trips on a place you know you hate.  It's not like I went over hating the place.  The experiences over there coloured my judgment and it's really the only city I've ever come away from thinking 'never again'.

• Like 3

Just now, BOF said:

:wave:

Massively over-rated stinking shithole full of ignorance and rudeness, and dangerous way beyond the norm of a major city.  I'm confident I'll never step foot in France, never mind Paris, for the rest of my life.  I actively avoid it.  Have had some horrible experiences over there and life's too short to waste holidays and trips on a place you know you hate.

you've never forgiven them for that handball goal have you :D

regarding the rudeness ,i sorta think you have to adapt to your surroundings , for sure we'd like everyone to doff their hat , bow a little and say How do you do but that isn't the French way , it appears rude to us but it's the norm for them , hence why you don't see French people shouting and screaming at each other all day long 

I found when I moved to Budapest that to start with I found it frustrating , people on escalators  just stood where they felt like it , never moved out of your way if you were in a rush , they pushed in front of you in queues , downright rude compared to how I was brought up ... but to someone in Budapest it's just the way of life  ... first few weeks I'd get angry at the rudeness of it all , then eventually you just adapt , instead of rushing down the escalator to get the train that's just pulled into the station  , you don't bother you just catch the next one 2 minutes later , and become more mellow instead of it annoying you  ... I should say in their defence the Hungarians will always give up a seat on a tram or train  for old people without hesitation  (take note London commuters) , and they always say hello when you walk in a shop and goodbye when you leave   , a concept that a lot of people in England find strange  , so it's not a case of they are just a rude set of people , it's just they have a different set of social rules to us

I can't say I've found Paris dangerous in all honesty  and I'm a tourist type that rides the trains and walks places , rather than a taxi person cocooned away from street life

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

you've never forgiven them for that handball goal have you :D

Suffice to say, this has less than zero to do with my views on that place.

regarding the rudeness ,i sorta think you have to adapt to your surroundings , for sure we'd like everyone to doff their hat , bow a little and say How do you do but that isn't the French way , it appears rude to us but it's the norm for them , hence why you don't see French people shouting and screaming at each other all day long

This is kinda the black and white argument.  I'm certainly not expecting any red carpet treatment or doffing of caps.  I would like assistance if I ask though.  An attempt to speak French is not met 'half way' by the other person.  It's met with a sneer.  To adapt to my surroundings I'd have to become an utter word removed.  When the French tourist board has to plead with its own people to be nice to tourists you know you've a problem.
  I have other stories too but I think neither side is for moving here.

I can't say I've found Paris dangerous in all honesty  and I'm a tourist type that rides the trains and walks places , rather than a taxi person cocooned away from street life

I guess we both had very different experiences in that city then.  To this day it's still the only place I've ever been mugged.  I hated it before that happened.  I see no reason to spend another second over there.  I genuinely absolutely despise the place.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

An attempt to speak French is not met 'half way' by the other person.  It's met with a sneer. 

That's really so far from my experience anywhere in France, sure I've heard other people say it too but every time I go there, even Paris, which even the French treat like we treat London, I attempt to speak French (and mine isn't that bad) and I get answered in English very often, even though I want to practice my French

• Like 4

I was surprised how rude the people in Berlin were when I was there in April.  I almost told them that the war was over 70 years ago and to move on.  I've always found French people in Normandy really pleasant but it's a long time since I went to Paris.

My folks bought a small cottage in France about 15 years ago. I've never been. They have their house here on the market and about to move there full time. Still not sure I'll make it any time soon :D

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's really so far from my experience anywhere in France, sure I've heard other people say it too but every time I go there, even Paris, which even the French treat like we treat London, I attempt to speak French (and mine isn't that bad) and I get answered in English very often, even though I want to practice my French

I speak French about as well as I speak Swahili and yet I’ve still experienced nothing but some semblance of tolerance as I try and order something 

Â