Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Not quite. Finished at the Swan via the Red Man. I'm not a kiddy native but they were tolerable enough, even if some of the other local clientele were er eclectic. All done though got the bugger home safe and sound. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Television. When I Wor A Lad, there was very little football on TV (apart from the Cup Final, no live football whatsoever), and what highlights shows there were, were virtually 100% British. At the same time, tickets to actual games were dirt cheap. So it made sense that everybody supported their local team. But I can remember the exact moment when the rot started - the 1968 European Cup Final. The very next day, I was shocked to hear a Brummie kid from down my street walking around chanting "Man Uniiiiited!" I was deeply shocked. 

Kids now just treat football as another TV entertainment show, picking the current most successful or glamorous teams to 'support'. And it suits parents, too. A replica Barcelona shirt might be a bit pricey, but it's a damn sight cheaper than paying for dad and kid to go down to their local team and probably watch poor quality football week in week out. 

Makes me sad, though. 

It did cross my mind that maybe as time goes on people will be less partisan with their football, and maybe just like football in general. Maybe not too dissimilar to music? To be fair, can hardly blame them round here the way West Midlands football has been for the last ten years.

Slightly an aside, Id love to know what the average final league positions of Villa, Blues and West Brom have been over the last ten years. Maybe 16th? Whereas Liverpool would be an average of 6th, and Manchester what, 2nd?

22 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't support an English team as well.  When I was growing up everyone wanted to be Ronaldo so wanted his boots and a lot had a Brazil or Inter shirt, nowadays every kid wants to be Messi.  

I am sure they do support english teams, i just havent seen any of it.

I dont think 4 and 5 year olds want to be Messi. They want to be whoever you tell them to want to be. 

My 5 year old wanted to be Ross Mccormack for 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You could be reading a bit too much into it. I was doing this back in the 90s, I had Juve , Barca, Milan and Bayern tops at various points but didn't support them. They just looked cool and you could often buy the tops fairly cheaply from JJB sports when the tops they were almost a season old. They were basically good to wear when you're playing football down the park everyday, heaven forbid you'd wear the same top everyday! Obviously the popularity of this has come from TV picking these leagues up from around the late 80s onwards.

I probably am to be fair. Very random thing to be pissed off about too. 

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I am sure they do support english teams, i just havent seen any of it.

I dont think 4 and 5 year olds want to be Messi. They want to be whoever you tell them to want to be. 

My 5 year old wanted to be Ross Mccormack for 6 months.

I can’t believe you get your 5 year old drunk and lock him/her behind gates! ?

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

Putting a positive spin on it, you could say (cover your ears now, Bexiters) that the admiration for overseas teams and players is a sign that we are less jingoistic as a nation. 

I mentioned upthread that in my youth we would never have considered 'supporting' a foreign team because we never saw them on TV. But, to an extent, it was also because we were encouraged to be xenophobic. England was the only true home of football, we played it the way you were supposed to, and johnny foreigner was basically a preening, cheating pretender. Even when we saw a Pele or a Eusebio, we might reluctantly concede that their skill was to be admired, but we wouldn't have dreamed of wearing a Brazil or a Benfica shirt in our park kickabouts, even if such things had been available. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

I'd happily live there, if I had the budget to live somewhere that suited me.

I've spent a couple of weeks working around Little Venice, that'd sort me out. As would Maida Vale. Even last week, I was back and fore Croydon and Bromley and there were areas of both that were just superb.

Somewhere quiet, but with transport options to the centre and out of town would do just right for me.

Clearly, I'm not discussing budget here. On my present budget, where I live right now is as good as I'm getting. Luckily, I'm perfectly happy with that.

DdoVv5vVAAAUbi7.jpg

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Big Cities like London, Paris etc blow me away . I feel like I'm just stood still with everything around me going 100mph. It's really hard to take it all in. Good and bad everywhere though. 

I agree. The only major/capital city I've been to that isn't like that is Amsterdam - very relaxed atmosphere. 

I wonder why? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â