Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

My wife has got a job in the school our kids go to. 10 minutes walking distance, and it's a very good school if I'm being honest. Decent pay which will only go up once she's done her NVQs. Term time off with pay which is great, and it's a job she's been wanting to do for a while. The amount of bitchyness coming from some of the other mums is unreal. A woman who lives a few doors down who she gets on with well has really got the hump over it. Some people can't be happy for other people. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My wife has got a job in the school our kids go to. 10 minutes walking distance, and it's a very good school if I'm being honest. Decent pay which will only go up once she's done her NVQs. Term time off with pay which is great, and it's a job she's been wanting to do for a while. The amount of bitchyness coming from some of the other mums is unreal. A woman who lives a few doors down who she gets on with well has really got the hump over it. Some people can't be happy for other people. 

Speaking as someone whose mother taught in his junior school, your kids may not be so grateful of their mums new job

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Speaking as someone whose mother taught in his junior school, your kids may not be so grateful of their mums new job

It's in the nursery part with the 2 year olds, so it shouldn't be too bad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

“Grenfell Tower 1 year on” TV programmes, 11 months on.

I don't think you're actually making this point, but the general determination on the part of too many people to forget what happened at Grenfell is something that pisses me off no end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think you're actually making this point, but the general determination on the part of too many people to forget what happened at Grenfell is something that pisses me off no end. 

I’m with you on that completely. My point was that seemingly there was a race between TV companies to make a follow up show that ITV (I think) are showing their “1 year on” show a month early purely to be first. 

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m with you on that completely. My point was that seemingly there was a race between TV companies to make a follow up show that ITV (I think) are showing their “1 year on” show a month early purely to be first. 

I get you, but tbh I think there should be a show every month on what's being done. JMHO. 

• Like 4

it doesn't piss me off so much as I just don't give a **** about it, Harry and this Merkle bird that he is marrying

he is never going to be king, she won't be queen, I just don't care, even if they were going to be kind and queen I wouldn't really care...I'm not anti royalist or whatever you might want to call it, I just don't care

Posted something about this a month or so ago but i find this genuinly odd. 

I am at my lads football training with 9 kids playing in total, and 5 of them are in Barcelona kits. My lads in his Villa kit, 1 in PSG and then other 2 in plain t shirts.

I mean fair play Barcelona marketing team. But what is the thought process, do any of the children support english clubs? This is south Bham by the way.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

I am at my lads football training with 9 kids playing in total, and 5 of them are in Barcelona kits. My lads in his Villa kit, 1 in PSG and then other 2 in plain t shirts.

I mean fair play Barcelona marketing team. But what is the thought process, do any of the children support english clubs? This is south Bham by the way.

Television. When I Wor A Lad, there was very little football on TV (apart from the Cup Final, no live football whatsoever), and what highlights shows there were, were virtually 100% British. At the same time, tickets to actual games were dirt cheap. So it made sense that everybody supported their local team. But I can remember the exact moment when the rot started - the 1968 European Cup Final. The very next day, I was shocked to hear a Brummie kid from down my street walking around chanting "Man Uniiiiited!" I was deeply shocked. 

Kids now just treat football as another TV entertainment show, picking the current most successful or glamorous teams to 'support'. And it suits parents, too. A replica Barcelona shirt might be a bit pricey, but it's a damn sight cheaper than paying for dad and kid to go down to their local team and probably watch poor quality football week in week out. 

Makes me sad, though. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Television. When I Wor A Lad, there was very little football on TV (apart from the Cup Final, no live football whatsoever), and what highlights shows there were, were virtually 100% British. At the same time, tickets to actual games were dirt cheap. So it made sense that everybody supported their local team. But I can remember the exact moment when the rot started - the 1968 European Cup Final. The very next day, I was shocked to hear a Brummie kid from down my street walking around chanting "Man Uniiiiited!" I was deeply shocked. 

Kids now just treat football as another TV entertainment show, picking the current most successful or glamorous teams to 'support'. And it suits parents, too. A replica Barcelona shirt might be a bit pricey, but it's a damn sight cheaper than paying for dad and kid to go down to their local team and probably watch poor quality football week in week out. 

Makes me sad, though. 

That era around the 65-70 time was when clubs started getting fans from further afield pledging alliance to them. Leeds United gained a lot of fans nationwide from that era, as did Manchester United, and Liverpool. During that golden age of football Villa were not in a great place at all. I think we kind of missed out on expanding our fanbase during that time, although during the whole of the 70s we were certainly looked at as a big club with the crowds we pulled in. We had a bit of a golden spell from the mid 70s up until the early 80s. It's a pity we never went out and built on that early 80s success. 

I remember a kid in my street declaring that he had 'picked' Arsenal.

Up until that point it hadn't occurred to me you could 'pick'.

You just went with the others, and that was it.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't support an English team as well.  When I was growing up everyone wanted to be Ronaldo so wanted his boots and a lot had a Brazil or Inter shirt, nowadays every kid wants to be Messi.  

• Like 2

My grandad always reckons United got the symphony vote after the Munich disaster in 58. How right or wrong he is I don't know, but he said that's when a lot of people started following united. He's quite a cynical man though, who still blames Liverpool fans for  Hillsborough .

Â