Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Catching up. I always want to reply to old stuff but forget by the time I reach the recent stuff.

On 12/12/2017 at 14:14, Davkaus said:

I carry an  organ donor card, but I can't give blood, because I'm a massive **** pussy.

It's a great thing to do, and everyone should, but look at the size of the **** needles. If I ever need to be injected with something, I think I'll just refuse treatment and come to terms with the fact that my life is over.

I quite like watching the needle go in. I don't really feel it. I always enjoy it when having blood taken and watching when I recently had some lipomas taken out. Quite relaxing lying down having someone fiddle with you.

On 12/12/2017 at 14:22, Paddywhack said:

I'm the same, but it's not the needles, it's seeing my blood travelling in the tube and into the bag. I think I'd throw up.

Probably a stupid question, but you don't actually have to have the donor card on you do you? I registered years ago, but lord knows where my card is.

I don't get it. It's only blood?

On 12/12/2017 at 16:46, mjmooney said:

I genuinely don't understand this fear of needles and blood. Just man up, FFS. 

Yup

On 12/13/2017 at 19:34, villakram said:

Navel gazing.

I don't know what this is. Nor another saying I can't remember but everyone says it. Something to do with your mouth?

On 12/13/2017 at 21:05, Ingram85 said:

The concept changes with every decade. With a widely multicultural society I’m not sure ‘britishness’ in its perceived form even exists these days. You can have little snippets here and there I guess.

Also wonder if it’s a city/countryside thing. Living in brum I struggle to find an identity but when I get out into the country or seaside and visit the little towns and market villages I get a massive sense of Britishness and identity but it’s one that isn’t mine being a city boy. 

Multiculturalism is a great thing, you can get a whole host of microcosms of cultural identities to experience but not one I’d consider traditionally British.

If I had to be honest, to get a taste of real Britishness I think you need to get out to the places that haven’t been homogenised into the modern business ‘big city’ world. 

For me, a day out in proper countryside, a walk through the woods, a peruse around an old historic town or market town and a nice roast dinner with a few ales to finish it off is as close to feeling British as I get now. 

Alternatively, going out and about around parts of brum with all the influences and experiences from around the world is just as enjoyable.

Although now divorced, being married to a Sikh girl and being part of her family and their culture was gratifying and an immense pleasure to be a part of. It makes me proud of parts of the country that welcomes other nationalities and what they bring to the table with open arms. 

Doing both fills me with pride and both options can live side by side. I’m proud of both our homegrown heritage and traditions and also our global mixing pot society we live in. 

For me, being British isn't really anything. I don't really consider myself to have a particular identity because of the country I grew up in. But I do appreciate that this country has until recently (and limited to my own personal experience) colour-blind multicultural, accepting and welcoming, and that everything is built to standard you can trust. 

21 hours ago, mottaloo said:

What winds me up is surely.....SURELY they themselves have been on the receiving end of such sales pitches so why do they get defensive and treat us like simpletons ?

Yeah, i know it's the job that makes them do it with the pressure of targets/leads to reach. For that reason alone i hope I never have to resort to such employment. 

Everyone has their own battle. Everyone is trying to make their way in life doing a job. Sales people are just people working in sales. They know what everyone thinks of them, but they still have to do a job to pay bills. There's no reason to be unnecessarily rude to them or abuse them. Firm, polite, don't waste each other's time. In fact, make their probably miserable day better by being overly nice. No skin off your nose. 'I'm sorry buddy, I doubt I'm your best lead here. But you sound really good on the phone so hopefully you'll do some good business today.'

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I've never seen anyone do that before.

Really? It's not quite the gif I was after. But picture someone in utter despair, sobbing, clasping and unclasping their hands uncontrollably, perhaps at a graveside. You must have seen that, at least in a film? 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Really? It's not quite the gif I was after. But picture someone in utter despair, sobbing, clasping and unclasping their hands uncontrollably, perhaps at a graveside. You must have seen that, at least in a film? 

Umm yeah I suppose. I'm possibly not the most observant person.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

8 and 2 thumbs. Can't fool me.

I don't get it. He has a gun in one hand and all menacingly is trying to rob somewhere and yet in his other hand he is carrying 8 fingers and 2 thumbs from a side serial killer business? What a diverse bunch us VTers! Might be a good movie though.

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Blood doesn't really bother me, its the fact it's being 'drained' from my body, the thought of it makes me feel weird.

Me too. It must be a stand-wiper thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

England's barmy army cricket supporters in Oz right now. 

At the risk of upsetting a few fellow VTers, i just have to say that they get on my norks for the following reasons, in no particular order :

1. Their repetitive song. "We are mental, oh we are mad !" How so ? Whacky, zany ? What do you do that is sooo mental, exactly ? Spend shiteloads of cash to watch crap cricket ?

2. Wearing football shirts to a cricket match. Yeah, i get it's tribal but would you wear your warwick shirt to an England footy game ?!

3. (and this really annoys me) - the arrogant, "colonial superiority"they show in particular changing the national anthem words to "long to reign over YOU, God save YOUR queen !". Is it any wonder other countries like beating them in various sports ?

Ok, it might just be "bantz" but it's boring, to me anyway.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

At the risk of upsetting a few fellow VTers, i just have to say that they get on my norks for the following reasons, in no particular order :

1. Their repetitive song. "We are mental, oh we are mad !" How so ? Whacky, zany ? What do you do that is sooo mental, exactly ? Spend shiteloads of cash to watch crap cricket ?

2. Wearing football shirts to a cricket match. Yeah, i get it's tribal but would you wear your warwick shirt to an England footy game ?!

3. (and this really annoys me) - the arrogant, "colonial superiority"they show in particular changing the national anthem words to "long to reign over YOU, God save YOUR queen !". Is it any wonder other countries like beating them in various sports ?

I come at this from two conflicting sides. I don't dislike the chanting, and wearing football shirts doesn't bother me at all. Wear what you want. On the last point, you'll only ever hear that chant against the Aussies, and its origins were for comedy purposes, and was devised at a time when England used to get soundly beaten home and away by the far superior Aussie sides. A kind of you may be better that us at cricket, but you came from us, so in the end we're still the best kind of thing. 

On the other side of the coin, and from the point of view of someone who has been away to watch England, in my experience the Barmy Army are mostly a bunch of elitist knobheads, who are as far up their own arses as it's possible to get. They look down on anyone who hasn't been on every England tour since WG Grace was wielding a bat, and are so cliquey it's not true.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

They've attended a game of cricket so they're all boring words removed in my book anyway ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

On the other side of the coin, and from the point of view of someone who has been away to watch England, in my experience the Barmy Army are mostly a bunch of elitist knobheads, who are as far up their own arses as it's possible to get. They look down on anyone who hasn't been on every England tour since WG Grace was wielding a bat, and are so cliquey it's not true.

Ok, fair point on your first point; each to their own. However, I'm a bit surprised to read about your second point above. Is it a case of "I'm a season ticket holder, so my opinion is better than your's" ?

That said, the bloke who plays the trumpet seems to be a bit of a smug rocket polisher and I do have a little laugh when i hear a ground has banned him.

• Like 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

Ok, fair point on your first point; each to their own. However, I'm a bit surprised to read about your second point above. Is it a case of "I'm a season ticket holder, so my opinion is better than your's" ?

That said, the bloke who plays the trumpet seems to be a bit of a smug rocket polisher and I do have a little laugh when i hear a ground has banned him.

Yeah, pretty much. It's the case with some, that if you're not doing a full tour, or you're weren't there from the start, then you shouldn't even dare speak to them. My mate tried having a chat with the lad who dresses up like the Queen, and you'd be forgiven for thinking he was trying to have a chat with Joe Root during a match.

• Haha 1

Â