theunderstudy

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

To be honest I imagine being a taxi driver is a thankless task, especially at this time of the year. 

Good job that's only my hobby :mrgreen:

Sadly dealing with dicks like this is part of my "proper job"

Grit, Gritters, Gritting, it's not bloody grit... it's Halite or Rock Salt

Pisses me off on a couple of levels...

• It offends my inner geologist
  • its there to reduce the temperature at which water freezes. It reduces freezing point to around -4 or -5 degrees C. Maybe if people understood this, they might drive a little more sensibly.

Up here, it pleases me greatly that the motorway matrix signs say Salt Spreading and not gritting when the hard-working council staff are chucking it about

Last week booked a day off to have a grown up day with the wife. Bit of shopping and lunch whilst the kids are at school.

The second born (5) was poorly and off school so I rescheduled for this week, tomorrow. Now the **** school are staying closed for a second day.

Today I 100% agree with being closed but can’t think of why closed again tomorrow. How far are people travelling in for a primary school? 2 miles tops? 90% is less than 1 mile. rocket polishers.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Today I 100% agree with being closed but can’t think of why closed again tomorrow. How far are people travelling in for a primary school? 2 miles tops? 90% is less than 1 mile. rocket polishers.

I think we've had to walk to school when snow was bad when we were little. It's an alien thing for people to do now though. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think we've had to walk to school when snow was bad when we were little. It's an alien thing for people to do now though. 

Walking to school full stop is alien to most. I used to walk 45/50 mins each way and never gave it a thought.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It's arguably going to be worse tomorrow. The snow will still be there but everything will be frozen.

I suspect that the biggest problem is getting enough of the teachers in rather than concern about the kids getting there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's arguably going to be worse tomorrow. The snow will still be there but everything will be frozen.

A lot of the snow seems to gone, traffic moving freely on the roads. Some grit on a few hundred meters of roads and bobs your uncle. I know I’m being a bit grumpy because our plans have had to change but they make such a stink about kids having the day off and then they do this.

There must have been some backlash because after the initial text about school being closed another came about 30 mins later trying to justify it.

90% of people are managing to get to work ok, you’d think for what many is a very short trip to the local school would also be doable. They could even do a drop off system outside the school so people didn’t even have to walk (the school has a car park with a separate entrance and exit).

I’m a teacher in an independent school and our principal took great delight in sending an email to us all stating that any days we couldn’t make it in due to snow would be unpaid. Absolute mother-****. It’s not so bad for me but I have colleagues who live in the Valleys. I’m not sure what he wants people to do if they can’t even safely make it down to the bottom of their road. No way they should be penalised for that. Or worse, encouraged to take what should be unnecessary risks. 

5 minutes ago, JB said:

I’m a teacher in an independent school and our principal took great delight in sending an email to us all stating that any days we couldn’t make it in due to snow would be unpaid. Absolute mother-****. It’s not so bad for me but I have colleagues who live in the Valleys. I’m not sure what he wants people to do if they can’t even safely make it down to the bottom of their road. No way they should be penalised for that. Or worse, encouraged to take what should be unnecessary risks. 

surely that’s not legal? I’m assuming you’re salaried and not paid hourly or daily

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Just don't have kids. Problem solved.

But then you miss the chance to make every other parent feel bad on Facebook by constantly posting about how your kids are better than everyone else’s 

39 minutes ago, a m ole said:

surely that’s not legal? I’m assuming you’re salaried and not paid hourly or daily

That’s what I thought. The guy is a massive word removed so I’m not surprised. I would definitely have looked into it if it affected me.I doubt he would chase up docking his own pay if he couldn’t make it. 

All staff there are salaried as far as I’m aware. 

7 minutes ago, JB said:

That’s what I thought. The guy is a massive word removed so I’m not surprised. I would definitely have looked into it if it affected me.I doubt he would chase up docking his own pay if he couldn’t make it. 

All staff there are salaried as far as I’m aware. 

My company is not paying people who didn't come in today either

Unless it was taken as dependants leave

Edited by KHV
Edit*

50 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think @Rugeley Villa  had some unpaid days off forced in him this week. Proper sucks, especially on the run up to Christmas.

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

It is legal, unless there is anything stating the contrary in anyone's employment contract.