Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

38 minutes ago, brommy said:

Will you still get paid if it's not safe for you to travel to work?

Yes but some of my shifts involve providing out of hours phone cover for our external customers and if there's no one there to answer the calls.. ...well, you see what I mean about working from home not being an option.

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Yes but some of my shifts involve providing out of hours phone cover for our external customers and if there's no one there to answer the calls.. ...well, you see what I mean about working from home not being an option.

Is there no way to temporarily divert those calls to a phone at your home? You could just call in sick. No point trying to get into work if it is virtually impossible. 

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Is there no way to temporarily divert those calls to a phone at your home? You could just call in sick. No point trying to get into work if it is virtually impossible. 

As far as I am aware, the divert idea wouldn't work and calling in sick would be a chinny reckon situation to the managment, tempting though it is.

I'll leave an hour early tonight and if it takes 3 hours to get home tomorrow morning then I'll have to think again. 

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Unless customers require emergency assistance in the form of ambulance, fire, police or coastguard, I wouldn't travel if my local police authority warned against travel unless totally necessary. The increased risks just aren't worth it. Your customers won't compensate you if your car gets damaged or if you slip and break something. They definitely can't compensate you if the worst happens.

My nightly commute is 214 miles and like yourself, I consider my work important but my company takes staff safety so seriously, I would  be reprimanded if I travelled against advice.

• Like 4

When you said working from home wasn't an option, taking phone calls wasn't the kind of work I had in mind...

Your management need a **** bollocking if someone has to physically be in a specific location to take phone calls. It's 2017 ffs.

• Like 2

I'd imagine most of your customers won't be at work tomorrow either! 

**** work off and get a take away in! 

• Haha 1

Nobheads in their 4x4’s on the M5 today as I travelled back home after a visit to my parents yesterday. A lot was 2 lanes as it hadn’t been gritted in the outside lane. When it slowed down, some decided they had the gear to go in the outside lane but it was these causing everything to slow down as they reached bits they didn’t want to risk and cut infront people in the middle lane.

11 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Nobheads in their 4x4’s on the M5 today as I travelled back home after a visit to my parents yesterday. A lot was 2 lanes as it hadn’t been gritted in the outside lane. When it slowed down, some decided they had the gear to go in the outside lane but it was these causing everything to slow down as they reached bits they didn’t want to risk and cut infront people in the middle lane.

I used to travel to Lake Tahoe a lot in the wintertime.  People with no experience driving in snow thought that all they had to do was buy a 4x4 and they'd be invincible.  90% of the vehicles you'd see in snow banks would be 4x4s, usually the same ones that had sped past you a couple of miles earlier.  They don't seem to understand that 4-wheel drive doesn't help you stop any faster.  The radio station running a continuous loop of road reports from the Dept. of Transportation would even point out that the majority of accidents are caused by sudden application of brakes, but some people are just thick.

That I cant tell people what I really think on the company Twitter account that I run

Today's gems are that we should have taken someone home despite the fact they had no money and we should have taken someone home even though she puked up in the cab mid journey and was asked to leave vehicle

Some people really do like to blame problems of their own making on someone else

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

That I cant tell people what I really think on the company Twitter account that I run

Today's gems are that we should have taken someone home despite the fact they had no money and we should have taken someone home even though she puked up in the cab mid journey and was asked to leave vehicle

Some people really do like to blame problems of their own making on someone else

To be honest I imagine being a taxi driver is a thankless task, especially at this time of the year. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

To be honest I imagine being a taxi driver is a thankless task, especially at this time of the year. 

Good job that's only my hobby :mrgreen:

Sadly dealing with dicks like this is part of my "proper job"

Grit, Gritters, Gritting, it's not bloody grit... it's Halite or Rock Salt

Pisses me off on a couple of levels...

• It offends my inner geologist
  • its there to reduce the temperature at which water freezes. It reduces freezing point to around -4 or -5 degrees C. Maybe if people understood this, they might drive a little more sensibly.

Up here, it pleases me greatly that the motorway matrix signs say Salt Spreading and not gritting when the hard-working council staff are chucking it about

Last week booked a day off to have a grown up day with the wife. Bit of shopping and lunch whilst the kids are at school.

The second born (5) was poorly and off school so I rescheduled for this week, tomorrow. Now the **** school are staying closed for a second day.

Today I 100% agree with being closed but can’t think of why closed again tomorrow. How far are people travelling in for a primary school? 2 miles tops? 90% is less than 1 mile. rocket polishers.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Today I 100% agree with being closed but can’t think of why closed again tomorrow. How far are people travelling in for a primary school? 2 miles tops? 90% is less than 1 mile. rocket polishers.

I think we've had to walk to school when snow was bad when we were little. It's an alien thing for people to do now though. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think we've had to walk to school when snow was bad when we were little. It's an alien thing for people to do now though. 

Walking to school full stop is alien to most. I used to walk 45/50 mins each way and never gave it a thought.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It's arguably going to be worse tomorrow. The snow will still be there but everything will be frozen.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's arguably going to be worse tomorrow. The snow will still be there but everything will be frozen.

A lot of the snow seems to gone, traffic moving freely on the roads. Some grit on a few hundred meters of roads and bobs your uncle. I know I’m being a bit grumpy because our plans have had to change but they make such a stink about kids having the day off and then they do this.

There must have been some backlash because after the initial text about school being closed another came about 30 mins later trying to justify it.

90% of people are managing to get to work ok, you’d think for what many is a very short trip to the local school would also be doable. They could even do a drop off system outside the school so people didn’t even have to walk (the school has a car park with a separate entrance and exit).

Â