Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

BBC article about a woman who’s tweet about that she overheard a chap called Ben from Bournemouth saying on the phone to his mates that he was cheating on his missus is gaining ‘traction’ and ‘going viral’. This woman’s tweet has started a witchunt trying to find this guy.

2 things: 

1: Who cares? Seriously, why is this on the main page of the bbc news site?

2: Who the **** does she think she is getting involved in other people’s private lives like this. Yes the guy is a scumbag and his gf deserves better but with the way social media works these days if this guy gets identified then his life is over. He hasn’t killed anyone. He isn’t a criminal. How self important do you have to be to interject yourself in total strangers’ goings on? 

Welcome to the social media age. 

• Like 1

The phrase "when the fun stops STOP" online bookies use to cover themselves and show that they really have the punters' welfare at heart. Same with alcohol producers who advise to "enjoy responsibly".

Like it's that easy. Pure lip service paid, nothing more.

Words removed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

The phrase "when the fun stops STOP" online bookies use to cover themselves and show that they really have the punters' welfare at heart. Same with alcohol producers who advise to "enjoy responsibly".

Like it's that easy. Pure lip service paid, nothing more.

Words removed.

The world is full of that shite. And it's something I've wanted to put in here before (and probably have).

Just stuff printed on things to stop people getting sued. 

"Caution. Contents may be hot!"

That is of no benefit to anyone. It's literally just there to stop the company being sued if someone burns themselves on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

BBC article about a woman who’s tweet about that she overheard a chap called Ben from Bournemouth saying on the phone to his mates that he was cheating on his missus is gaining ‘traction’ and ‘going viral’. This woman’s tweet has started a witchunt trying to find this guy.

2 things: 

1: Who cares? Seriously, why is this on the main page of the bbc news site?

2: Who the **** does she think she is getting involved in other people’s private lives like this. Yes the guy is a scumbag and his gf deserves better but with the way social media works these days if this guy gets identified then his life is over. He hasn’t killed anyone. He isn’t a criminal. How self important do you have to be to interject yourself in total strangers’ goings on? 

Like you say its a dumbing down of news. Most mainstream news sites fill their pages with tweets and instagram posts of people and make a story out of it. Some even trawl forums and do the same (Daily Mail trawling Mumsnet being an example)

Like you said, he's a dick for cheating (if he is) but it certainly isn't any of her business. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The world is full of that shite. And it's something I've wanted to put in here before (and probably have).

Just stuff printed on things to stop people getting sued. 

"Caution. Contents may be hot!"

That is of no benefit to anyone. It's literally just there to stop the company being sued if someone burns themselves on it.

Warning-These-Peanuts-May-Contain-Peanut

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Like you say its a dumbing down of news. Most mainstream news sites fill their pages with tweets and instagram posts of people and make a story out of it. Some even trawl forums and do the same (Daily Mail trawling Mumsnet being an example)

Like you said, he's a dick for cheating (if he is) but it certainly isn't any of her business. 

In fairness to her she didn’t ask for it to go viral and be retweeted 50,000 times and become front page news, I doubt that was her intention when it was tweeted. You have to remember that before crucifying her.

Surely her right to freedom of speech covers her morally for sending that tweet?

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

In fairness to her she didn’t ask for it to go viral and be retweeted 50,000 times and become front page news, I doubt that was her intention when it was tweeted. You have to remember that before crucifying her.

Surely her right to freedom of speech covers her morally for sending that tweet?

She tweeted someone else’s conversation, his name and location. That’s an invasion of privacy. Did she ask for consent to do that? 

Edited by Ingram85

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

She tweeted someone else’s conversation, his name and location. That’s an invasion of privacy. Did she ask for consent to do that? 

Well it was a name and a general location, it’s a fine line whether that led invading someone s privacy or not imo. Full name or workplace or address would be going too far, I’m not sure in this case.

I can understand why it's newsworthy, social media is still relatively 'new'.

10 years ago the woman would have just told a few work colleagues and that would have been it, now she can tell the world. I think it's worth discussing what information people should legally and morally be spreading online. It's caused a chat in here anyway!

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

She could have just said 'Just heard this bloke on the phone to his mates and he admitted cheating on his girlfriend. What a dick'. Would have put her disgust across the same. 

But she mentioned specific names and locations on so I think it was her intent to try and out him and get traction on the tweet. She probably couldn't have imagined it would have blown up like this though. 

Free speech doesn't allow for unnecessary invasions of privacy I wouldn't have thought? That's why injunctions are raised against papers. Her later tweets state he's yet to be found so there is a deliberate attempt to find him, not just by her but by other as well

If you're going to be a dick and cheat, at least be sneaky about it and not discuss it in a public place! 

24 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I can understand why it's newsworthy, social media is still relatively 'new'.

10 years ago the woman would have just told a few work colleagues and that would have been it, now she can tell the world. I think it's worth discussing what information people should legally and morally be spreading online. It's caused a chat in here anyway!

Exactly my point. I'm only playing devils advocate here, in reality I couldn't care less!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

In fairness to her she didn’t ask for it to go viral and be retweeted 50,000 times and become front page news, I doubt that was her intention when it was tweeted.

The whole point of being on Twitter is the hope that one day one of your tweets will go viral and be retweeted 50,000 times and become front page news.

At least that's the only reason I use it.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Sure but it also makes her a sad nosy prick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The whole point of being on Twitter is the hope that one day one of your tweets will go viral and be retweeted 50,000 times and become front page news.

At least that's the only reason I use it.

Just claim your name is Ben and that you are cheating on your missus B)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sure but it also makes her a sad nosy prick.

Exactly. Also, what if there happens to be more than one Ben on that train that has a girlfriend ?

Dopey bint !

• Like 1

Â