');
    • limpid

      Just visiting?   27/12/16

      Please click "Sign Up" and login to use the full functionality of the site.
theunderstudy

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

Recommended Posts

Despite my better judgement, I got lured in to placing an order with PC World. It made me feel ill, but they had a piece of kit for a surprisingly good price.

Only to see this, for two addresses within a mile of Nottingham city centre. I guess we are a bit out in the sticks...

Quote

Sorry! We are currently unable to offer standard delivery in your area. Please enter a different delivery address to continue.

Excited to see what kind of non standard delivery they might offer me, I scrutinised the page, only to surmise that what they actually mean is that they can't offer any delivery in my area.

Incompetent clearings in the woods, I know not to bother again, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, limpid said:

"OK google. Navigate to nearest chip shop."

Fairly sure you can do that with Siri without unlocking. Could be wrong. 

Wouldn’t you have to look at your phone to follow the directions anyway?

Either way, it’s fairly niche. And again the OP was about acid attacks. So are we really saying that Apple are putting people at risk of acid attacks because you have to glance at your phone to unlock it?

its a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by Stevo985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fairly sure you can do that with Siri without unlocking. Could be wrong. 

Wouldn’t you have to look at your phone to follow the directions anyway?

Either way, it’s fairly niche. And again the OP was about acid attacks. So are we really saying that Apple are putting people at risk of acid attacks because you have to glance at your phone to unlock it?

its a bit of a stretch. 

I can't do it with Siri at all. Google reads out the instructions.

We are in the thread about things that piss me off but shouldn't. Removing the fingerprint scanner is up there with removing the headphone socket for me. And I'd be critical of any manufacturer doing there things, not just Apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, limpid said:

I can't do it with Siri at all. Google reads out the instructions.

We are in the thread about things that piss me off but shouldn't. Removing the fingerprint scanner is up there with removing the headphone socket for me. And I'd be critical of any manufacturer doing there things, not just Apple.

I realise that, but it was originally I response to a post about acid attacks, which is the bit I find strange. But each to their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I realise that, but it was originally I response to a post about acid attacks, which is the bit I find strange. But each to their own. 

It actually started about people robbing phones on mopeds and how in London you can't have your phone out.  Which is exactly what a "use face to unlock phone" system encourages - because of your face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local news on the telly.  Usually a load of pointless shite and the presenters are terrible.  Harry Redknapp just showed up being interviewed at some Christmas lights getting turned on down a random street.  He didn't even get to turn them on, the weather presenter did.  Piss off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local cinema has decided to host Nigel Farage 'for an evening of laughter'. 

Being a bigot isn't particularly funny in my opinion.  

It's a really nice cinema too. Oh well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JB said:

Agreed. The point seems to have been completely missed (although I suspect he's well aware of that). I think Raver's post raises the opportunity for an interesting discussion about what some people perceive to be double standards in the media.

Personally, I'm not sure what side of the debate I fall on but I can certainly see his point. It seems to be acceptable to portray men in ways that would cause a shitstorm if roles were reversed.

Just for the record, I haven't 'completely missed the point', I just don't agree that the double standards that several of you perceive actually exist; that you could meaningfully prove they do short of making the exact same commercial with the gender roles reversed; that the double standards (if they did exist) would be any more serious than the double standards that exist with pit girls or podium girls or national newspapers speculating who won 'Legs-it' or any other double standard; and that asking for censorship is a good first resort for someone who values free speech. 

Just a difference of opinion, not a failure to comprehend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And people who become rich and suddenly think they are better than evrybody else, come back down to earth you idiot, i dont give a shit about your money the only thing iam intresting in is your character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobzy said:

It actually started about people robbing phones on mopeds and how in London you can't have your phone out.  Which is exactly what a "use face to unlock phone" system encourages - because of your face.

But you’d have to have your phone out anyway in the vast majority of cases, whether you have to unlock it with your face or your hand. 

Because usually if you unlock your phone you then have to look at it to do whatever it is you need to do with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just for the record, I haven't 'completely missed the point', I just don't agree that the double standards that several of you perceive actually exist; that you could meaningfully prove they do short of making the exact same commercial with the gender roles reversed; that the double standards (if they did exist) would be any more serious than the double standards that exist with pit girls or podium girls or national newspapers speculating who won 'Legs-it' or any other double standard; and that asking for censorship is a good first resort for someone who values free speech. 

Just a difference of opinion, not a failure to comprehend. 

Noted. But surely you can appreciate how it appeared as though you did indeed miss the point by mentioning only censorship and not the issue of hypocrisy that he raised? I didn't read Raver's original post as being prudish in the slightest - rather he was annoyed about what he perceived as hypocrisy in the media. 

'Several of you'? If you read my post, you'll see that I clearly said that I was unsure of my opinion on the issue but there was an interesting debate to be had. I can see arguments for both sides. You raise some good points but equally there are things like female on male violence apparently being acceptable, men frequently being portrayed as idiots etc. There's no way it would be allowed to stand if the roles were reversed (which, once again, I believe was Raver's point). It's an interesting issue that it's often difficult to raise without being immediately called a sexist or misogynist. To reiterate - I'm on the fence. I was curious about other people's opinions.

However, I would agree with your take on censorship not being the way forward. More stuff needs to be fair game without having to worry about upsetting people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that we have only 4 reaction symbols. They couldn't tack on like one or two more?

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, maqroll said:

The fact that we have only 4 reaction symbols. They couldn't tack on like one or two more?

I could certainly require about 700 differing "smug" ones. 

but for now, this will have to do; 

Image result for smug 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bickster said:

A pretend royal and an American actress

The fact that the daily heil newspaper hasn't released a "glossy souvenir exclusive to our readers" of Harry Hewitt's engagement surely can have nothing to do with the fact that his bird is american AND of mixed/dual heritage ?! Shock, horror !!

I mean, this is the paper that goes batsh1t bonkers if William's nippers so much as fill their nappies and print a commemorative calendar of it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Depends on the format.  What if he's tied up and you get to throw things at him?  That'd be pretty funny.

I'd buy a ticket, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BOF said:

Depends on the format.  What if he's tied up and you get to throw things at him?  That'd be pretty funny.

Coconuts? Gravel? Coins? (Euros for the lolz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Xela said:

(Euros for the lolz)

No they're much too valuable now :trollface:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites