Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

It actually started about people robbing phones on mopeds and how in London you can't have your phone out.  Which is exactly what a "use face to unlock phone" system encourages - because of your face.

But you’d have to have your phone out anyway in the vast majority of cases, whether you have to unlock it with your face or your hand. 

Because usually if you unlock your phone you then have to look at it to do whatever it is you need to do with it. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just for the record, I haven't 'completely missed the point', I just don't agree that the double standards that several of you perceive actually exist; that you could meaningfully prove they do short of making the exact same commercial with the gender roles reversed; that the double standards (if they did exist) would be any more serious than the double standards that exist with pit girls or podium girls or national newspapers speculating who won 'Legs-it' or any other double standard; and that asking for censorship is a good first resort for someone who values free speech. 

Just a difference of opinion, not a failure to comprehend. 

Noted. But surely you can appreciate how it appeared as though you did indeed miss the point by mentioning only censorship and not the issue of hypocrisy that he raised? I didn't read Raver's original post as being prudish in the slightest - rather he was annoyed about what he perceived as hypocrisy in the media. 

'Several of you'? If you read my post, you'll see that I clearly said that I was unsure of my opinion on the issue but there was an interesting debate to be had. I can see arguments for both sides. You raise some good points but equally there are things like female on male violence apparently being acceptable, men frequently being portrayed as idiots etc. There's no way it would be allowed to stand if the roles were reversed (which, once again, I believe was Raver's point). It's an interesting issue that it's often difficult to raise without being immediately called a sexist or misogynist. To reiterate - I'm on the fence. I was curious about other people's opinions.

However, I would agree with your take on censorship not being the way forward. More stuff needs to be fair game without having to worry about upsetting people. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

A pretend royal and an American actress

The fact that the daily heil newspaper hasn't released a "glossy souvenir exclusive to our readers" of Harry Hewitt's engagement surely can have nothing to do with the fact that his bird is american AND of mixed/dual heritage ?! Shock, horror !!

I mean, this is the paper that goes batsh1t bonkers if William's nippers so much as fill their nappies and print a commemorative calendar of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

Depends on the format.  What if he's tied up and you get to throw things at him?  That'd be pretty funny.

Coconuts? Gravel? Coins? (Euros for the lolz)

The fact I have barley moved since Sunday afternoon. I keep thinking I should be doing more on my time off but at the same time its nice not to have to do anything if that makes sense. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JB said:

Noted. But surely you can appreciate how it appeared as though you did indeed miss the point by mentioning only censorship and not the issue of hypocrisy that he raised? I didn't read Raver's original post as being prudish in the slightest - rather he was annoyed about what he perceived as hypocrisy in the media. 

'Several of you'? If you read my post, you'll see that I clearly said that I was unsure of my opinion on the issue but there was an interesting debate to be had. I can see arguments for both sides. You raise some good points but equally there are things like female on male violence apparently being acceptable, men frequently being portrayed as idiots etc. There's no way it would be allowed to stand if the roles were reversed (which, once again, I believe was Raver's point). It's an interesting issue that it's often difficult to raise without being immediately called a sexist or misogynist. To reiterate - I'm on the fence. I was curious about other people's opinions.

However, I would agree with your take on censorship not being the way forward. More stuff needs to be fair game without having to worry about upsetting people. 

I had a statistic from somewhere a few years ago that identified that 96% of advertisements portray the 'humiliation' in some way of the male gender, often depicting them as 'useless,' 'inferior to' or 'subordinate to' a female. Make of that what you will. And for the record, I am very broad minded, not a lot shocks me at all to be honest. I am quite emotionally dead inside. That said, I can assure you that voyeurism is a sexual offence in the UK - especially if you are male. So why should Paco Rabanne get off scot free with it in their advert? Sends out all the wrong messages.

I ain't burning my bra or anything. They'll probably do sod all. But if the boot was on the other foot, there really would be hell to pay. Especially in the current climate where it's chic to call sexual misconduct for even the slightest glance the wrong way at somebody.

EDIT - and no, I don't condone sexual harassment. My problem is the risk of people jumping on the bandwagon and claiming harassment/misconduct for the slightest thing that may actually not be sexual misconduct.

Edited by Raver50032

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The fact I have barley moved since Sunday afternoon. I keep thinking I should be doing more on my time off but at the same time its nice not to have to do anything if that makes sense. 

I've just shifted a load of hay and oats too.  Chances of that eh?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I always have that internal struggle in my head when I'm off work. It is lovely to do nothing but that nagging feeling that you should have done more with the day never seems to go away! 

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I always have that internal struggle in my head when I'm off work. It is lovely to do nothing but that nagging feeling that you should have done more with the day never seems to go away! 

I haven't washed or dressed in two days! I resemble Saddam when he was captured!

CfmcRViXIAAoDiX.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

but with a shittier arse, surely? 

I haven't seen any studies of Saddam's anus but i'd say the chances were probably strong. 

Disadvantage of being at home - I need to use my own toilet and toilet roll. That'll probably be the reason I need to go out tomorrow - more arse paper. 

3 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Dude !!! Never shit in your own toilet ...No1 rule :D

Its either that or do it over the edge of my balcony! :P

Â