Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

The complete lack of acknowledgement that other people may have expertise in areas that you do not. What in the actual fook is wrong with people.

Social media. All 'opinions' are equally valid. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Some cracking boozers in York, if you get the chance. Even if you just get in the York Tap on the station.

Didn't even have the chance to look around York :( Was pretty much in meetings for most of the time I was there. Shame as the office I was in was on Parliament Street, right in the centre. Looks a lovely place from the brief glimpse I had. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Didn't even have the chance to look around York :( Was pretty much in meetings for most of the time I was there. Shame as the office I was in was on Parliament Street, right in the centre. Looks a lovely place from the brief glimpse I had. 

York is great, but basically a hive of tourists. 

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's a shame mate. Cracking little city. I was considering moving there at one point. Great little boozers, couple of nice little gig venues, and loads of university lasses!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The sad thing about it all is that the nipper at the centre of all this does not know of words,  courts, placards or preached statements to the press.  All he knew were tubes, needles and the love of everyone around him.  He gave this world a go and he just could not quite do it.  I don't think anyone including the judges of this world truly knew the right answer but I hope everyone involved can learn from this in a good way that could help parents like them in the future.

It could have been that he was in constant pain but did not have the method to show it for example,  I doubt anyone with a medical background would put their life on a measurement of his pain and discomfort in his current state with or without medication changes or possible travel.  The thought that he can slip away to a nice warm painless sleep in a nice controlled way with everyone having the opportunity to say goodbye is the best we could have hoped for.

Hope the arguments between those involved stops now for sake of the nipper.   

No such luck. They're now in court over whether he can die at home. The hospital has said it isn't feasible due to such things as the ventilator keeping him alive not being able to fit through their door, and the need for a nurse on hand constantly and a doctor available. They've instead suggested a hospice.

The parents have accused the hospital of being obstructive.

10 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

That's a shame mate. Cracking little city. I was considering moving there at one point. Great little boozers, couple of nice little gig venues, and loads of university lasses!

Its not that far from Darlo is it? About 30 mins on the Cross Country line from memory.

Looks a great place to live. Bet it is priced that way as well! 

Just now, Xela said:

Its not that far from Darlo is it? About 30 mins on the Cross Country line from memory.

Looks a great place to live. Bet it is priced that way as well! 

Not far at all. You can drive it in 45 mins, and it's one stop away on the mainline down to Kings Cross. I think it has gotten more expensive since the time I was looking at moving there.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No such luck. They're now in court over whether he can die at home. The hospital has said it isn't feasible due to such things as the ventilator keeping him alive not being able to fit through their door, and the need for a nurse on hand constantly and a doctor available. They've instead suggested a hospice.

The parents have accused the hospital of being obstructive.

It's a very odd situation, from the outside it's hard to see which party is being so unreasonable. Unsurprisingly the relationship between the boys parents and the hospital is completely shot and they only talk via lawyers.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It's a very odd situation, from the outside it's hard to see which party is being so unreasonable. Unsurprisingly the relationship between the boys parents and the hospital is completely shot and they only talk via lawyers.

Well... The hospital has a duty of care to do what's best for the child. Unfortunately what's best was initially to keep him alive and assess the issue. The issue is one that is very rare can't be cured and in essence means the very cells of his body cannot function. Which more or less means ultimately he can't be helped. The treatment they wanted had a 10% chance of working, apparently, to alleviate the condition. And the doctor involved has a financial interest and wasn't bothered to look into it in January when asked. Now things have deteriorated to the extent the child is severely brain damaged and cannot move, breathe, etc. The US doctor finally got involved, did very little background work into the child's condition and has said the treatment won't work. Which the hospital already knew. So what is best becomes an almost moot point, the child is going to die and palliative care (i.e. trying to minimise suffering on the way to death) is the only option.

The parents understandably didn't want to give up hope and directed that towards the hospital they argued would not allow their child to be treated. That turned into a ill tempered argument which has played into an attack on the hospital in many people's eyes.

Neither is being willfully unreasonable - the hospital aims to help children, of they can save the child they will. Unfortunately in this case it's clear they couldn't. The parents don't want to give up on the child, which you have to sympathise with. But to dispassionate eyes, the hospital isn't wrong IMO.

The new issue is just an extension of that. The hospital has to maintain their duty to the child in palliative care. They believe it's not feasible to do that at home. The parents don't want to believe that.

I was thinking specifically about this recent standoff. I would assume if it could reasonably be done (let Charlie see out his time at home) then the hospital would have assisted. There's no reason for them to block it, I wouldn't expect them to be so petty  as to do it out of spite of having their expert opinion challenged.

• Like 1

Absolutely. If it's viable, the hospital will let it happen. Why wouldn't they?

And if they didn't have the child's interests at heart they'd let him go and wouldn't care how he dies.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Absolutely. If it's viable, the hospital will let it happen. Why wouldn't they?

And if they didn't have the child's interests at heart they'd let him go and wouldn't care how he dies.

So have mum and dad lost the plot here a little bit running off to court again? Seems that way.

Just now, Genie said:

So have mum and dad lost the plot here a little bit running off to court again? Seems that way.

I can understand wanting to have him die at home. 

Beyond that... Yeah I don't see much to gain going to court over this. They have a grudge against the hospital IMO, and obviously wouldn't be thinking straight in the situation regardless. I don't see any reason the hospital would knowingly deny a home death if it was feasible. But if he needs constant nursing care and on hand doctors and a ventilator they can't get into their home, it's not feasible.

Tourists or more specifically Women tourists ... so there you are at a landmark and you want to get a photo done , preferably without people you don't know posing in front of it or doing rabbit ears

but no , you have to sit there looking pensive and get your mate to take 20 photos and once you've checked that all of them make you look a deep and reflective type of person then you have to do the same 20 shots looking back over your shoulder in the aren't I beautiful look and repeat the viewing session on you small screen to check you look divine for instagram and Facebook ... and then you decide to let everyone else have a go at getting their photo

when i rule the world you get 15 seconds to take your photo and clear off out the way and unless you are a model on an authorised phot shoot if you look back over your shoulder a sniper is allowed to take you out 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

I waited and waited and waited whilst two women worked out how to use their camera and select a pose in front of this statue.

Then, you're absolutely on the money, with other people clearly waiting to take a photo they stood right in front of it whilst they looked at photos of themselves.

Used the international language of loud cough, wave camera and point to the side and they grudgingly just about managed to slowly move away.

35359352183_3333939050.jpg

These same people probably went off for an afternoon of stopping in shop doorways and pausing at the bottom of escalators.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

You can understand why the parents would want him home, but the argument is that having him home will cause more suffering as it is not possible to transport the ventilation equipment (among other things) to the family home. So very unlikely to be allowed.

It's very sad that GOSH have been dragged through the mud over the this. The parents have used every public platform possible, which on many levels you can understand, however the unintended consequences of this is that staff have received a ridiculous level of abuse and threats. GOSH do genuinely path breaking work and an all around sensation job, they deserve better.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I waited and waited and waited whilst two women worked out how to use their camera and select a pose in front of this statue.

Then, you're absolutely on the money, with other people clearly waiting to take a photo they stood right in front of it whilst they looked at photos of themselves.

Used the international language of loud cough, wave camera and point to the side and they grudgingly just about managed to slowly move away.

35359352183_3333939050.jpg

These same people probably went off for an afternoon of stopping in shop doorways and pausing at the bottom of escalators.

Which town in the north east is this hairy bikers statue?

• Like 2

Â