Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Oh it should and it bloody does: train prices/train price increases and this effing stupid nonsense about 'advance' tickets.

In December I got a single from here to Narborough which cost a tenner (fixed route and all that jazz and the single the other way cost the same) as a return cost about £32 (even allowing for it being an open return) and I was possibly going to get a lift back.

I have just looked at the same things and the advance ticket now costs £16.40. So that's an increase of 64%.

The (open) return effort is now £36 when it used to be about £32.60 - an increase itself of just over 10%.

An advance single coming back from Narborough appears to cost £35.00!!!!

What in the holy land of pricing gods/services is happening? :wacko:

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Train prices are absurd.

A group of uni mates that I regularly meet up with are genuinely thinking of following the example of a different group of friends I saw an article about the other day.

We're thinking of meeting up in Barcelona for the day/weekend as we can all get return flights there for about £40, whereas train tickets (two of them don't drive) to one of our houses are usually considerably more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Referees waiting until a goal kick is taken to blow up for full time. 

I think the rule should be to wait until it goes out of play and then blow up like a lot of other sports. Makes way more sense.

(fouls don't count or it would be carnage!)

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Train prices are absurd.

A group of uni mates that I regularly meet up with are genuinely thinking of following the example of a different group of friends I saw an article about the other day.

We're thinking of meeting up in Barcelona for the day/weekend as we can all get return flights there for about £40, whereas train tickets (two of them don't drive) to one of our houses are usually considerably more.

Something where the cost of train fares is always at least 10% cheaper than going by car would be a good start.  The congestion charge in London plays a big part in that calculation i suppose.

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Something where the cost of train fares is always at least 10% cheaper than going by car would be a good start.  The congestion charge in London plays a big part in that calculation i suppose.

Trains to London are about the only ones that are reasonable.

17 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Thought someone hand siphoned petrol out of my car, but it turned out the fuel gauge is broken. Should I be happy or pissed off?

Broken fuel gauge?  Yay, constant range anxiety.

58 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just read an analysis of the "burnt food = cancer report", and seemingly you'd have to eat 320 slices of burnt toast per day to put yourself into any semblance of danger.

But hey, any excuse for the media to frighten the shit out of everybody.

Why do they do this bullshit research? Some of the things they come out with fair enough but it's getting beyond a joke now. Cancer levels have no doubt risen over the years but everyday we are hearing about this causes cancer or that does. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just read an analysis of the "burnt food = cancer report", and seemingly you'd have to eat 320 slices of burnt toast per day to put yourself into any semblance of danger.

But hey, any excuse for the media to frighten the shit out of everybody.

Literally the same as all the nonsense aspartame 'research'. 

Cancer is caused by a fault in our very genetic makeup. If you're disposed to get certain cancers, burnt toast isn't going to make a real difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why do they do this bullshit research? Some of the things they come out with fair enough but it's getting beyond a joke now. Cancer levels have no doubt risen over the years but everyday we are hearing about this causes cancer or that does. 

It's not bullshit research, it's science poorly reported.

If they didn't research, we'd think millions of smokers died of cancer due to bad luck. But if you know 20% of people that die of cancer did so directly due to smoking, you might take a decision to live life with your wife, kids and friends a bit longer and dump the fags. It gives you an informed choice. 

That a bit of research might be given a 'sexy' precis by someone looking for publicity, or a scary headline by shitty newspapers is a shame. But personally, I'd rather be informed. I now 'know' that booze, fags, ket and being fat are more damaging than roasties. I'm content with that, my only vice in that list is roasties.

The media love to scare people. People love a drama.

...and as Hanoi says, you're gonna die of something, it's just nice to be informed.

Edited by chrisp65

Â