Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Populist rhetoric.

Why do we let politicians get away with blowing smoke up our collective arses?

"The American spirit is undiminished by..."

"The people of Britain are united in their resolve to..."

"Australians are hard-working/tolerant/determined, etc."

Every time some vote-grubbing polly comes out with crap like that I get a warm fuzzy feeling for a nanosecond, followed by disgust at their cynical attempt at manipulation. Unfortunately the voting masses seem to lap it up. What a bunch of fools we are.

Back in the early 80s, I used to work with a bunch of (mostly lesbian) radical feminists. They were generally OK, and I could sympathise with most of their arguments. But then (it was admittedly during the Yorkshire Ripper era) they came out with badges saying "WOMEN DEMAND A CURFEW ON MEN". I got quite stroppy about it. I didn't mind individuals "demanding" that, but to claim that half the world's population automatically agreed with them was an arrogant assumption to say the least. 

Populist rhetoric.

Every time some vote-grubbing polly comes out with crap like that I get a warm fuzzy feeling for a nanosecond, followed by disgust at their cynical attempt at manipulation. Unfortunately the voting masses seem to lap it up. What a bunch of fools we are.

Back in the early 80s, I used to work with a bunch of (mostly lesbian) radical feminists. They were generally OK, and I could sympathise with most of their arguments. But then (it was admittedly during the Yorkshire Ripper era) they came out with badges saying "WOMEN DEMAND A CURFEW ON MEN". I got quite stroppy about it. I didn't mind individuals "demanding" that, but to claim that half the world's population automatically agreed with them was an arrogant assumption to say the least. 

Curfew on men? You mean, not allow men to go out at certain hours?

That is eerily similar to the rhetoric spoken by many of the Indian public figures in the aftermath of the Delhi rape case - the idea that the woman was the one in the wrong because she shouldn't have gone out at night.

Populist rhetoric.

I hope you told them to shave their legs.

Populist rhetoric.

I hope you told them to shave their legs.

There was a certain amount of banter in the office, not sure if that one ever came up... 

Populist rhetoric.

Curfew on men? You mean, not allow men to go out at certain hours?

That is eerily similar to the rhetoric spoken by many of the Indian public figures in the aftermath of the Delhi rape case - the idea that the woman was the one in the wrong because she shouldn't have gone out at night.

Yes, exactly. Theirs was perhaps a deliberately provocative counter-argument to the old "contributory negligence" thing. And yes, it was food for thought. 

My objection was to the sweeping claim "Women demand...", i.e. speaking for people who may or may not agree with them. Pressure groups (and politicians) do it all the time. 

record store day, went to a shop in worcester 9am to get a couple of records, some of them limited to 500 copies, a twang and a foals record i wanted sold out straight away, i was gutted, go on ebay and there are 2 twang and about 30 foals records on there added today, absolute **** rocket polishers

Papers saying things like "QPR survival hopes dealt a blow" - no, they haven't had their hopes dealt a blow, there was never any hope to begin with, they've been as good as down for a while now. Piss off!

Edited by legov
  • Like 4

You can't stand lager, but order pints of Corona? :D

Dont recall saying i drink pints of corona,

In fact i dont think you can get it on draught over here but there could be somewhere i guess. 

Had a pint of it in chitiniza once but thats the one and only.

Didn't Noel Gallagher once ask some reporter who was wearing a Ramones shirt what her favourite Ramones album was and she had no idea what to say?

Miles behind on this thread so forgive me if somebody has always answered this, but this was Martin Freeman (Tim from "The Office" / Bilbo Baggins) to Tim Lovejoy (the personification of all that is wrong with football) on his Sky TV show that wasn't Soccer AM.    I can't find a clip of it online, sadly. 

Didn't Noel Gallagher once ask some reporter who was wearing a Ramones shirt what her favourite Ramones album was and she had no idea what to say?

Miles behind on this thread so forgive me if somebody has always answered this, but this was Martin Freeman (Tim from "The Office" / Bilbo Baggins) to Tim Lovejoy (the personification of all that is wrong with football) on his Sky TV show that wasn't Soccer AM.    I can't find a clip of it online, sadly. 

Ah, I'm just going on what my brother told me a while ago. I'll have to look for the clip. Thanks.

Watford are his local team (he was born and raised in Watford) and he is on record as saying he used to go to Vicarage Road a lot when he was a kid. Dunno whether that means he dropped Watford for Chelsea once Matthew Harding turned up at Stamford Bridge with millions of pounds in the mid 1990s though, I mean Watford is hardly a long way from west London is it so you could argue he has always lived in a Chelsea catchment area. 

Is it true lovejoy was a watford fan before he supported chelsea? (Tim lovejoy, not the antique dealer)

I'm confused. According to Wikipedia he's from London. So surely he should support Manchester United? 

• Like 3

Â