Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Dentists. Thieving rascals. Impossible to find an NHS one down south so have to go private. 
I look after my gob, expensive electric toothbrush, strict hygiene regime but I’ve never once been for a checkup without them outlining the need for a whole range of expensive work. Latest quote £1,700. 

I’ve tried different surgeries and they’re all the same. 

The one my wife went to as a kid actually ended up going to prison for this type of thing. Was caught out having done thousands of unnecessary procedures just to make money. 

Few years back I had an issue with a nerve being exposed on a back too and it was absolutely killing me. All of my face was in agony.

I went to the (NHS) dentist and she said pulling it out couldn’t be done on the NHS but she could do it as a private treatment for £100. In pain and desperate I agree. Tooth comes out, in bits, she was absolutely awful.

I then query it with the practice manager a few days later and they apologise profusely, gave me the money back. I think she was fired shortly after. It seemed like she had form for this kind of thing.

I've not been to the dentist since I was 18, and I'm 32 now. Embarrassing really but other than pain from my wisdom teeth coming through, I've never had issues. I keep telling myself I'll get signed up but a combination of stories like these where I just assume I'll get shafted, the difficulty in finding an NHS dentist, and the fact that I generally just shudder at the idea of having dental work work done means I'm still in no rush!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Last visit was a cracked filling that he said couldn't be repaired and would need a crown. He then gives me 2 prices NHS & private....£300 for NHS, £900 for private, tries to tell me the private option would get me a better product. Yeah right mate, jog on here's your £300 notes crack on with at "cheapo" crown.

I went for a routine check up at my NHS dentist and during the check up, the dentist rather coldly told me a crown needed fitting. He said he could book me in (about 5 month's time) as NHS or he could do it there and then privately. I was rather flush at the time so i said crack on and do it now...for about £140.

All of a sudden and as if a switch had been flicked in his brain, he was all over me, calling me Sir, going OTT with the charm, care and attention. It wasn't even subtly done. Even his dental assistant looked away embarrassed as i raised my eyebrows at her whilst he went to his pc to show me the x rays he'd taken.

Gangster. 

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I went for a routine check up at my NHS dentist and during the check up, the dentist rather coldly told me a crown needed fitting. He said he could book me in (about 5 month's time) as NHS or he could do it there and then privately. I was rather flush at the time so i said crack on and do it now...for about £140.

All of a sudden and as if a switch had been flicked in his brain, he was all over me, calling me Sir, going OTT with the charm, care and attention. It wasn't even subtly done. Even his dental assistant looked away embarrassed as i raised my eyebrows at her whilst he went to his pc to show me the x rays he'd taken.

Gangster. 

£140 is cheap, I thought crowns were about £300 on the NHS.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

£140 is cheap, I thought crowns were about £300 on the NHS.

Sorry, i forgot to say it was about 9 years ago.

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Wow, that’s incredible. Someone is doing very well off of that. 

Aye, doesn't seem good value anymore. The ground rent is £250 per annum and that goes to the Landlord. The insurance is due soon and that goes to the Landlord as well. That was £300 last year... up from £90 when I moved in 8 years ago. I understand the increase as no **** wants to risk insuring flats at the moment, with the cladding issues! Some leaseholders in cladded flats in London are paying thousands per year for insurance. 

The service / maintenance charge goes to the managing agent. Thats roughly gone up £50 per annum every year i've been here. We have just had some new electric gates, which cost £14k. but they're taking, I estimate, over £100k per annum in total off the leaseholders here.

7 hours ago, Genie said:

We sleep walked into buying a house with a leasehold on it years ago. Was a bloody nightmare to sell, thank god we did. Never again.

Our current house was a new build but was rare in the fact there’s no lease of management fees at all.

I’d avoid leasehold like the plague too, even if it was one of those 999 year leases.

Yeah i'd never buy leasehold again. I mean, I understand why they have it for flats, but for houses, thats just purely for greed. 

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

I've not been to the dentist since I was 18, and I'm 32 now. Embarrassing really but other than pain from my wisdom teeth coming through, I've never had issues. I keep telling myself I'll get signed up but a combination of stories like these where I just assume I'll get shafted, the difficulty in finding an NHS dentist, and the fact that I generally just shudder at the idea of having dental work work done means I'm still in no rush!

I'm the same... I think i've been maybe twice in 25 years? Last time must have been over 15 years ago. Never get any trouble with them. I know I'm cursing it now and i'll probably get smashed in the face by an anvil tomorrow, but they never seem to give me any problems or pain. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Aye, doesn't seem good value anymore. The ground rent is £250 per annum and that goes to the Landlord. The 

The service / maintenance charge goes to the managing agent. Thats roughly gone up £50 per annum every year i've been here. We have just had some new electric gates, which cost £14k. but they're taking, I estimate, over £100k per annum in total off the leaseholders here.

You live in a gated community ? I bet you're the sort of word removed who drives an Audi 😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah i'd never buy leasehold again. I mean, I understand why they have it for flats, but for houses, thats just purely for greed. 

Company I work for won’t mortgage on a leasehold house. As well as a myriad of other things. We also won’t lend on freehold flats. That said our mortgages are aimed at old people. As over 55 year olds always should be described. 

Edited by Seat68

Not sure if it's pissed me off or just left me disappointed, had a bogof voucher for mains at Hard Rock so went to cologne, they've overhauled the menu, down to 4 starters, 6 burgers, about 5 other mains and a couple of salads, surprisingly only about 6 cocktails to choose from too and most importantly for me no local legendary burger 

The food was OK, crazy expensive (was still £50 for a nacho sharer, 2 burgers a coke and a cocktail) it really can't justify what it is anymore 

Had some good meals in about 15 of them around the world but that's the death knell of it for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure if it's pissed me off or just left me disappointed, had a bogof voucher for mains at Hard Rock so went to cologne, they've overhauled the menu, down to 4 starters, 6 burgers, about 5 other mains and a couple of salads, surprisingly only about 6 cocktails to choose from too and most importantly for me no local legendary burger 

The food was OK, crazy expensive (was still £50 for a nacho sharer, 2 burgers a coke and a cocktail) it really can't justify what it is anymore 

Had some good meals in about 15 of them around the world but that's the death knell of it for me 

Please tell me they still have the blue devil? Staple drink for me that!

We've had this chat before, but like you, Hard Rock was always a good visit when in a new place. Had some good nights out there... had my 30th birthday meal in the Berlin one!

Worst was the Brum one.... strange place that... was more of a bar. Food seemed to be secondary there. 

• Like 1

More of a first world problem but the dearth of decent rewards on credit cards now. My current one gives you points based on spending - essentially 1 point for £1 spent.. although this can double if you use it abroad. I use my card for everyday spending - petrol, shopping, etc and clear it at the end of the month, and over a course of time it has accumulated nearly 20k points. Redeemed them today - choices were air miles in certain long haul airlines like Singapore, Etihad and Cathay (not much use at the minute!), wine selections from Laithwaites (don't drink the stuff) or vouchers (high street stores, Amazon,  etc). I went with Amazon vouchers. What did I get? £65 worth. I shouldn't moan as its vouchers for nothing really, but its rather low for the amount of spend. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Please tell me they still have the blue devil? Staple drink for me that!

We've had this chat before, but like you, Hard Rock was always a good visit when in a new place. Had some good nights out there... had my 30th birthday meal in the Berlin one!

Worst was the Brum one.... strange place that... was more of a bar. Food seemed to be secondary there. 

Blue devil has gone, I'm the same, had some good (and expensive) cocktail sessions in there going though the menu, I would guess that a good barman would be able to make something not on the menu especially if they were there when it was on the menu 

From memory I did the Berlin one 15 years ago and the local legendary was a burger with sauerkraut on it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I know I'm cursing it now and i'll probably get smashed in the face by an anvil tomorrow

Are you a grey cat who is constantly chasing a little brown mouse? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

The service / maintenance charge goes to the managing agent.

Who I'll wager is just a front for the landlord if you dig deep enough, especially if that landlord is someone like David Wilson Homes.

Did you know if you all get together and vote on it, you can actually get rid of the managing agent and either appoint your own or do it yourselves?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â