Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

People who write "thx" on a work email. 

Firstly it's not very professional. And secondly was it really worth it to save writing those three extra letters?

This winds me up too, I used to get emails from someone called Amy who would sign off with A. It’s one of the shortest names in the world already! 

• Haha 4

Here's a funny (not really ha ha but still) story from Polish football.

Widzew Lodz, a historically massive club have been floundering in the lower leagues for a few years (got relegated to div 5 for financial reasons) and they are now in the 3rd division. Last season, they were miles ahead, and drew 10 games in a row to finish 3rd or 4th and not go up. This year, they were miles ahead, then won 1 in 7 to finish and lost the last game at home. They waited for the result from another game which went their way, so they went up. However, the fans invaded the pitch and physically attacked the players and coach.

I lived 5 mins from the stadium and I've been to games and they're nuts, but still. Promoted, and a pitch invasion to attack the players? :D 

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Here's a funny (not really ha ha but still) story from Polish football.

Widzew Lodz, a historically massive club have been floundering in the lower leagues for a few years (got relegated to div 5 for financial reasons) and they are now in the 3rd division. Last season, they were miles ahead, and drew 10 games in a row to finish 3rd or 4th and not go up. This year, they were miles ahead, then won 1 in 7 to finish and lost the last game at home. They waited for the result from another game which went their way, so they went up. However, the fans invaded the pitch and physically attacked the players and coach.

I lived 5 mins from the stadium and I've been to games and they're nuts, but still. Promoted, and a pitch invasion to attack the players? :D 

I thought you were going to say they were docked points and didn’t go up. 

On 25/07/2020 at 20:33, Xela said:

Could have been worse Bicks.

I did exactly the same thing with scotch bonnet peppers. Chopped them, blended them in to a soup i was making and whilst it simmered away i popped upstairs to have a pee.....hadn't washed my hands.....honestly never felt so much pain for about an hour ! Ice pack on my crown jewels ( i still had two at the time !) made no difference, sudocreme, aloe vera lotion...nope....i was convinced my next step was A&E and then after 90 mins it eased. 

Jerry Lee Lewis can eff right off !

• Haha 1

On 27/07/2020 at 15:15, mottaloo said:

I did exactly the same thing with scotch bonnet peppers. Chopped them, blended them in to a soup i was making and whilst it simmered away i popped upstairs to have a pee.....hadn't washed my hands.....honestly never felt so much pain for about an hour ! Ice pack on my crown jewels ( i still had two at the time !) made no difference, sudocreme, aloe vera lotion...nope....i was convinced my next step was A&E and then after 90 mins it eased. 

Jerry Lee Lewis can eff right off !

I did the scotch bonnet thing. Chopped them good and fine, and then had an itchy eye.  And when I say 'and then', I really mean I put the knife down and rubbed my eye. Like the incalculable idiot that I am. Instant fire. Undiluted hellfire almost directly onto the eyeball. I genuinely thought I might go blind because it was ramping up and up. Eventually I filled a sink with water and put my face in it. Not instant relief but it got there in the end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I did the scotch bonnet thing. Chopped them good and fine, and then had an itchy eye.  And when I say 'and then', I really mean I put the knife down and rubbed my eye. Like the incalculable idiot that I am. Instant fire. Undiluted hellfire almost directly onto the eyeball. I genuinely thought I might go blind because it was ramping up and up. Eventually I filled a sink with water and put my face in it. Not instant relief but it got there in the end. 

I've been peppersprayed once or twice and been chopping my share of chili. And I think water is pretty useless here. From my recollection of being peppersprayed, it had no positive effect with water. In fact it kinda made it worse. 

And I think it's because the burning sensation is technically an oil. So it's unpolar as opposed to water that's polar. So in theory you should use some shampoo or something before you rinse. Maybe even olive oil, but I dunno how that would work out 😂

I know this is the biggest **** you advice you can give anyone in that pain, and you'd dive into a lake if you could, but thought I'd just be nerd for a minute. 

• Like 1

Yep @KenjiOgiwara, technically a bowl of milk to plant my face in would have worked best because the proteins in the milk break down the capsaicin, but as you point out, to a person in that much pain a sink of cold water is a good idea. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 23:36, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've been peppersprayed once or twice and been chopping my share of chili. And I think water is pretty useless here. From my recollection of being peppersprayed, it had no positive effect with water. In fact it kinda made it worse. 

And I think it's because the burning sensation is technically an oil. So it's unpolar as opposed to water that's polar. So in theory you should use some shampoo or something before you rinse. 

im the same, nantes away when the French police decided to cover us with their euro 2016 surplus pepper spray, got a face full, the cop sprayed me then another one sat me down and gave me some eye drops, I ended up back in a bar and spent 10 minutes trying to wash my face, went back to the hotel and spent 30 mins in the shower...it doesn't work, was only the next day when I saw my white under armour away shirt was now yellow that I realised that it is oil based and really hard to get off

few days later I've got a nasty burn in my elbow joint from where I'd tried to wipe it off and half my face peeled off, got a hard to see bit of scarring on my chin from it, the inside of my ear peeled off which was **** horrible

its hard to describe it too but it stinks

Edited by villa4europe

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Brexit referendum, the last general election, and now the response to the pandemic have radically changed my opinion. One of the favourite accusations of right wing gammons on FB et al is: "You obviously hate this country". 

I would once have denied it, but now? Yes. Yes, I do. 

Ditched the mega vitriolic agreement with this I drafted last night. Here's a tempered one.

The folks that voted Tory/Brexit are staring into the abyss of stupidity they created.

Posted the other day in my usual style (ie you've been had by the Tory filth), in a 2000 strong skinhead FB group that was chatting about the rise of China.

Expected a barrage of abuse.

No responses, one reply, he thought Boris was doing ok :crylaugh:

Basically the silence was deafening. 

We're mostly just hearing the hardcore deluded Daily Mail Island types now. The more moderate right wing are watching horrified, in stunned silence.

• Like 1

I was playing Grand Theft Auto the other night and they have some great radio programmes for when you’re driving around. One was hilariously accurate, it was some right wing nutter who’d called in to say how pleased he was that foreigners no longer wanted to live in America. All it took was for them to destroy the country to make it so unappealing but it was worth it to stop them coming.

• Like 3

Booked  a hire car for my trip to Iceland next month   , website said we take your credit card details but don't take the money until the day  .

of course, they took the money in full  and then this morning emailed me to say they've gone out of business and I need to take it up with my credit card about getting the money back 

it will be a section 75 job so not unduly worried , but what a bunch of unscrupulous rocket polishers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Booked  a hire car for my trip to Iceland next month   , website said we take your credit card details but don't take the money until the day  .

of course, they took the money in full  and then this morning emailed me to say they've gone out of business and I need to take it up with my credit card about getting the money back

it will be a section 75 job so not unduly worried , but what a bunch of unscrupulous rocket polishers

Wow, that is a **** scandalous and brazen cheek. Has to be illegal too given they knew they were effectively stealing with the knowledge you were never getting the services. Definitely one that should absolutely piss you off.

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Up until a few years ago, I sincerely believed that: 

(a) Most people are fundamentally decent 

and 

(b) The internet and social media were more mostly a good thing.

The Brexit referendum, the last general election, and now the response to the pandemic have radically changed my opinion. One of the favourite accusations of right wing gammons on FB et al is: "You obviously hate this country". 

I would once have denied it, but now? Yes. Yes, I do. 

And the ultimate irony is, of course, that the people they’re accusing of hating their country are usually the ones with the country’s best interests at heart. 

People who want to remain in the EU and who want to do what they can to help stop Covid spreading aren’t doing it for themselves.

I've spent a good part of pandemic times trying to improve the performance of our new Voice Recognition cab ordering thingymabob

It's a bit baffling, there's no manual and the results are a bit hit and miss. The bloke who developed it is an Aussie with zero attention span

You change one thing using one tool and it can have positive or negative consequences that you didn't consider.

I had been concentrating on a few neighbouring suburbs called Netherton, Sefton and Litherland that were under using the service in comparison to others.

I identified a few issues but there was still something I couldn't put my finger on causing a great deal of failures

Today, I get this EUREKA moment whilst looking at the( only developed this week) failure logs, it was stripping out ON, FOR and THE from the middle of words. Those three things will have a HUGE impact on Liverpool Suburb names

Netherton was in the logs as Nert, no wonder it didn't fricking like it, Sefton was Seft, Walton was Walt, Allerton was Allert .... they aren't the only ones. I found all three words in a list of excluded phrases (which I'd never used - came on install) and removed them.

I'm literally telling the boss whilst I'm seeing if I can spot any increase on VR bookings and....

The fricking internet goes off for and hour and a half

It comes back on... ten minutes later we get a power cut

Talk about pissing on my latest moment of triumph

My boss has buggered off somewhere now

ANd now my Stylus is worn out... so I'm down to streaming and CDs

• Haha 1

I have been a unicef member for years. Dunno what it's called in English, but I give x amounts of money every month as a kind of sub thing. 

Guess you have the same thing for a lot of organisations, I've got some experience from amnesty, red cross etc. Anyway I digress, the last couple of years they have contacted me and my family that "we know you give x, but now we need you to give y, cause this many children aren't getting help". 

That shit just pisses me off. Trying to guilt those already giving to give more instead of approaching new members. 

Worst bit is that they don't see they lose funding this way. And when they go after old people that way. Absolute bastards. 

Think I've whinged about that before here so I'll stop now. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

Â