Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

****, I've just remembered another one now. A kid who spent a whole flight kicking the back of my chair, and screamin

Obviously I sat quietly and said nothing.

I would have whipped my head around the 2nd time it happened and started making a fuss. And not given up until they were more annoyed by me than I was by their kid. In those sort of situations you can be polite but firm and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

nd another one. I spent a whole transatlantic flight sitting behind a very large young woman, who reclined her seat back from roughly 30 seconds into the flight. We flew to Boston and obviously I was raging the whole way, but saying / doing nothing.

As we landed, everyone switched their phones from airplane mode. She looked at her phone, and immediately burst into tears, inconsolable.

I never found out what tragic news she had just heard. But to this day, there is still part of me that feels like, she deserved it for reclining her seat on me.

That does seem slightly harsh tbqh :D

• Like 1

Seeing an advert last night got me a little annoyed. It was a build your own “Spitfire” accompanied with a weekly magazine or something?  Now I have no problem with these  kind of things, as some building kits and weekly magazines look pretty cool, I seem to remember a “Titanic” one once?  The problem I have is that they advertise the first issue at say £1.99 or something to entice you in, but then subsequent issues are something like £7.99 or even £9.99.  Then when you clock the small print during the advert it says approximately 100 issues or more.  

Fully appreciate the enjoyment factor etc, but if said Spitfire costs me in the region of £1000 and 100 weeks to build it, my enjoyment would diminish somewhat. Do many people buy these?  Cannot understand why they are priced so high? Personally i’d rather buy an expensive piece of model kit like Airfix or Lego.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Seeing an advert last night got me a little annoyed. It was a build your own “Spitfire” accompanied with a weekly magazine or something?  Now I have no problem with these  kind of things, as some building kits and weekly magazines look pretty cool, I seem to remember a “Titanic” one once?  The problem I have is that they advertise the first issue at say £1.99 or 99p something to entice you in, but then subsequent issues are something like £7.99 or even £9.99.  Then when you clock the small print during the advert it says approximately 100 issues or more.  

Fully appreciate the enjoyment factor etc, but if said Spitfire costs me in the region of £1000 and 100 weeks to build it, my enjoyment would diminish somewhat. Do many people buy these?  Cannot understand why they are priced so high? Personally i’d rather buy an expensive piece of model kit like Airfix or Lego.

In the 90s my wife subscribed to an aromatherapy magazine that was an introductory price etc. They gave up before she did and she never got the final couple of issues. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Seeing an advert last night got me a little annoyed. It was a build your own “Spitfire” accompanied with a weekly magazine or something?  Now I have no problem with these  kind of things, as some building kits and weekly magazines look pretty cool, I seem to remember a “Titanic” one once?  The problem I have is that they advertise the first issue at say £1.99 or 99p something to entice you in, but then subsequent issues are something like £7.99 or even £9.99.  Then when you clock the small print during the advert it says approximately 100 issues or more.  

I don't believe anybody has ever finished one. Total sucker bait. As you say, just buy an Airfix kit for a tenner. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't believe anybody has ever finished one. Total sucker bait. As you say, just buy an Airfix kit for a tenner. 

Ah Airfix. I’d totally forgotten about them until the missus dragged me in ‘hobbycraft’ recently and they had them in the there, tons of them. Wonder how many they sell these days.

When I were a kid everyone made them, I had loads of them hanging from my ceiling, pretty much the only activity I ever did with my dad that wasn’t going to watch the Villa.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

In the 90s my wife subscribed to an aromatherapy magazine that was an introductory price etc. They gave up before she did and she never got the final couple of issues. 

This is a common occurrence, they pull production before the end so you can’t finish it 

Our local department store used to sell model kits and boxes of soldiers. But they were all sort of individually priced. 

So, quite innocently as a kid, I’d look for the kit I liked and I’d look for the lowest price sticker and put them together. Not done maliciously, it just didn’t occur to me that wasn’t allowed. I was just personalising my best deal.

Can’t do that in the world of the bar code scanner.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah Airfix. I’d totally forgotten about them until the missus dragged me in ‘hobbycraft’ recently and they had them in the there, tons of them. Wonder how many they sell these days.

When I were a kid everyone made them, I had loads of them hanging from my ceiling, pretty much the only activity I ever did with my dad that wasn’t going to watch the Villa.

Ah model lits. Kits even.

When I was a kid I used to do "glow in the dark" horror movie models, like Godzilla, Dr Jeckyll, and Frankenstein. Can't remember the makers. Great fun but got dusty fast.

A quick google tells me the manufacturers were Aurora...The Mummy was another I did.

Edited by rjw63

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Seeing an advert last night got me a little annoyed. It was a build your own “Spitfire” accompanied with a weekly magazine or something?  Now I have no problem with these  kind of things, as some building kits and weekly magazines look pretty cool, I seem to remember a “Titanic” one once?  The problem I have is that they advertise the first issue at say £1.99 or something to entice you in, but then subsequent issues are something like £7.99 or even £9.99.  Then when you clock the small print during the advert it says approximately 100 issues or more.  

Brexit allegory containing real life Brexiteers

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

England finally playing a game at VP again!!! 

6.15pm on a Sunday night vs Romania 

Unless Jack plays and the locals get going it will be flatter than a witches tit 

Nah, I think it’ll be a comfortable sell out. 

23 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’d be interested to know if any of these magazines had EVER completed their entire run of issues

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Boiler stopped working last night. Gas engineer arriving shortly to fit a new PCB board or something? Start of a half term break with the kids and £300 gone before even Monday. Gutted.

As painful as it may be you might be best off getting a new boiler mate.

We had something similar a few years ago, ended up costing us almost £1000 in repairs because once one part goes on these things it can cause a chain affect on other parts, and you basically end up paying almost the cost of a new boiler........

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As painful as it may be you might be best off getting a new boiler mate.

We had something similar a few years ago, ended up costing us almost £1000 in repairs because once one part goes on these things it can cause a chain affect on other parts, and you basically end up paying almost the cost of a new boiler........

Agreed. Find a boiler with at least a 5 year parts and labour warranty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d be interested to know if any of these magazines had EVER completed their entire run of issues

Good point mate and would be interested to know as well? Basically ordering a weekly magazine for two years and the costs are so high as well. Barmy.

37 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Good point mate and would be interested to know as well? Basically ordering a weekly magazine for two years and the costs are so high as well. Barmy.

I can’t imagine enough people have ever stayed interested for long enough for it to be worth them finishing the printing. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes! When I was a teenager, maybe 13 or 14 and at school and in to biology thinking that would be my career my mom got me all of the how your body works ones 

To be fair this was pre home computer days and they were good quality (hard back not paper magazines) god knows how much it cost her, once the run finished and I'd completed the little plastic man that came with it they just cooked up another run with a different model

The hardest thing about it back then was finding it or finding a newsagent who would get it for you, after about 8-10 issues they knock it on the head and it had to be ordered which wasn't as easy as it is now 

• Like 2

My Mum did a Star Trek one and luckily there was enough of a geeky market that she completed it.  They then decided to add new content from one of the other Star Trek programmes, which of course they ended up stopping about halfway through.  When my Dad downsized after she passed away we found all these ringbinders of nonsense, it was a bit sad throwing them all in the dump.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Â