Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

People getting in-depth about stuff that, in my layman's opinion, doesn't need it. For example, TV progammes and Films. If I'm watching a comedy, I want it to make me laugh. I'm not interested in pondering how well-rounded each character was, and whether their journey warranted a 90-minute movie.

I reckon if Only Fools and Horses was released in 2019, the usual know-it-alls would be moaning about Trigger's bloody character arc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I reckon if Only Fools and Horses was released in 2019, the usual know-it-alls would be moaning about Trigger's bloody character arc

Where do you sit on the broom debate?  Is it the same broom?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Where do you sit on the broom debate?  Is it the same broom?

Well, one guy on the internet said 'It seems to me that Trigger's insistence that his present broom is the same one as that shown in a 20-year old photograph - despite having had "17 new heads and 14 new handles" - provides a neat metaphor for the relational view of identity'

But to me, it's just a funny sketch about an idiot and his broom.

Spoiler

It's a new broom

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

People getting in-depth about stuff that, in my layman's opinion, doesn't need it. For example, TV progammes and Films. If I'm watching a comedy, I want it to make me laugh. I'm not interested in pondering how well-rounded each character was, and whether their journey warranted a 90-minute movie.

Depends on the show for me, 95% of them I just take the entertainment during it's time and move on, but there are a couple of shows that once I get into, I properly devour endless articles and episode and series recaps, and slightly go round the bend consuming all the analysis :D

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Depends on the show for me, 95% of them I just take the entertainment during it's time and move on, but there are a couple of shows that once I get into, I properly devour endless articles and episode and series recaps, and slightly go round the bend consuming all the analysis :D

Then you, my friend, are part of the problem :P

I don't mind reading daft theories and things like that. Even reviews are fine, to a point. But it's when it takes that (what seems to me) pretentious angle where it's like the person reviewing the show wants to show off their vocabulary and BTEC in Film Studies to anyone who will listen :lol:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It's a completely British thing to refer to something as Triggers Broom and not have to explain what it means. 

Well I know the broom riddle, and I've never watched Only Fools. That's the first time I've heard it referred to as Trigger's broom. It's centuries old. I must not be British. 

16 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Then you, my friend, are part of the problem :P

I don't mind reading daft theories and things like that. Even reviews are fine, to a point. But it's when it takes that (what seems to me) pretentious angle where it's like the person reviewing the show wants to show off their vocabulary and BTEC in Film Studies to anyone who will listen :lol:

It's the current trend of analysing everything to death. I predict we will get really bored of it by 2028 and go back to liking something, or maybe not 🤔

• Like 1

Just on the whole Trigger's broom of Theseus thing.  I do like the extra noodle scratching thought-experiment tagged on to the end whereby if you think it's still the same ship after every piece being replaced over time ... what if I took all the original replaced parts and built the ship out of them, is that not the original too?  Which one is?  Is neither?  Are both?  Massages the brain it do :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just on the whole Trigger's broom of Theseus thing.  I do like the extra noodle scratching thought-experiment tagged on to the end whereby if you think it's still the same ship after every piece being replaced over time ... what if I took all the original replaced parts and built the ship out of them, is that not the original too?  Which one is?  Is neither?  Are both?  Massages the brain it do :)

I had to replace a blown engine on my car a few years back...it was a second hand engine that had done 50k miles less than the one it replaced. I thought, does that now mean the car has done 50k less, how about other parts that have been replaced?...what actual components determine the mileage of the car? 

1 minute ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I had to replace a blown engine on my car a few years back...it was a second hand engine that had done 50k miles less than the one it replaced. I thought, does that now mean the car has done 50k less, how about other parts that have been replaced?...what actual components determine the mileage of the car? 

Legally it's the odometer, but I get you.  I suppose you just specify as part of the classified ad that the engine has been replaced with a newer one and the price goes up.  Cuz everything else has aged normally.

Â