Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

The met's annual holiday fund has been topped up again.

https://news.sky.com/story/madeleine-mccann-search-home-office-to-provide-extra-150k-for-investigation-11553455

The Home Office will provide an extra £150,000 for the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, say Sky sources.

Funding for the investigation - dubbed Operation Grange - ran out at the end of September, prompting London's Metropolitan Police to apply for resources to extend it until March 2019.

"We have confirmed that Special Grant funding of £150,000 will be provided to the Metropolitan Police Service for the six-month period to 31 March 2019," a Home Office spokesperson said.

Police bosses have been applying for money to continue inquiries every six months, and the Home Office says it "maintains an ongoing dialogue with the MPS" over funding.

The investigation has cost £11.75m so far.

The average missing person's case costs about £2-3k.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bizarre situation really. I wonder what the reasoning behind keeping it going is? Or at least the reasoning they use to justify it.

Unless there are things going on behind the scenes they don't appear to know any more now than they did in the first 2-3 weeks after it happened so god knows where these millions are going.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Unless there are things going on behind the scenes they don't appear to know any more now than they did in the first 2-3 weeks after it happened so god knows where these millions are going.

Yeah exactly. What is it about this case that justifies the millions that other cases don't get?

Another PCN rant.

Drove through a box junction and a car to my right jumps across in front of me, leaving me hanging the back of the car over the yellow box.

£65 is daylight robbery (that's the reduced early-payment rate). There is an appeals process but I doubt that "if that clearing in the woods hadn't cut me up, I wouldn't have been in the box" is going to work as mitigation. 

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Another PCN rant.

Drove through a box junction and a car to my right jumps across in front of me, leaving me hanging the back of the car over the yellow box.

£65 is daylight robbery (that's the reduced early-payment rate). There is an appeals process but I doubt that "if that clearing in the woods hadn't cut me up, I wouldn't have been in the box" is going to work as mitigation. 

Technically you shouldn't enter the box unless your exit is clear, which is preposterous as no one would get anywhere

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Technically you shouldn't enter the box unless your exit is clear, which is preposterous as no one would get anywhere

"Do not enter box unless your exit is clear" was once voted the most confusing British roadsign by overseas motorists. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, choffer said:

Another PCN rant.

I'd appeal that. It's absolutely mitigation. If at the point of entering the junction your exit was clear, then some bellend cut you up, what could you possibly have done? The offence is entering a box junction in such circumstances that you had to stop due to staionary traffic. When you entered the junction, it sounds like there wasn't stationary traffic preventing your exit, nor could you have known there would be. 

11.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2), (3) and (4), the yellow criss-cross marking provided for at item 25 of the sign table in Part 6 conveys the prohibition that a person must not cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

I can't agree with this. Nobs blocking exits by sitting in the middle when they're blatantly not getting through before the lights change are a massive cause of congestion in Nottingham.

It's all too frequent a sight to see a 4 way junction where traffic is backed up one way, the other road's fairly quiet, but nobody can make their way down the second road because clearings in the woods heading up the busy road sit in the middle of the junction and keep it blocked for the entire light cycle.

Then once one or two idiots do that, people start trying to squeeze around, traffic on the other road backs up as well, everyone stops giving way at all, and it turns in to a giant cluster ****, just so one or two helmets didn't have to wait for the next green light.

Edited by Davkaus

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't agree with this. Nobs blocking exits by sitting in the middle when they're blatantly not getting through before the lights change are a massive cause of congestion in Nottingham.

It's all too frequent a sight to see a 4 way junction where traffic is backed up one way, the other road's fairly quiet, but nobody can make their way down the second road because clearings in the woods heading up the busy road sit in the middle of the junction and keep it blocked for the entire light cycle.

Then once one or two idiots do that, people start trying to squeeze around, everyone stops giving way at all, and it turns in to a giant ****, just so one or two helmets didn't have to wait for the next green light.

In essence, I agree but the box junction only really works at a standard two road intersection crossroads. The problem occurs when they are used inappropriately at junctions they aren't suitable for and round here we have absolutely loads of them, it's like the people in the council don't really understand why they've created a box junction

EDIT: I drive through one on my daily commute, If people obeyed the rule one car per sequence would turn right (into the only road that gains access to a rather large estate because the right turn is just after the box, they are separated by a crossing point

I can also think of one that was re-painted only the other week that was implemented to allow teachers out of a school, the thing is... the school was demolished 5 years ago and is now waste ground

My wife was nearly hit by a car last night, driven by an utter bellend. We were crossing the street to get to Snow Hill station, and she was about a step or two behind me. It was clear when we began crossing the road, but because a guy took the corner at about 40mph, he had to slam on his brakes to avoid crashing into her. We both looked towards him and told him to slow down, in strong terms, and he proceeded to yell out of his window 'well, I stopped didn't I?' as if he'd done us a **** favour by not killing her. When I told him that this didn't exactly make him the good citizen he was making out to be, his response was 'don't make me get out the car'. He had some bimbo sat in the front seat as well. Hope they both die in a car crash. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I commute to a train station on my bike (I know ?) My 5mile ride is generally stress free apart from a few dickheads occasionally. Although recently I'm having a run of people overtaking me as I approach some single lane approach islands. One transit last week would have rammed me off the road if I hadn't slammed on my breaks. It's not even they have been stuck behind me as it's easy to overtake leading up to them if they were.

Then today a big 4x4 went the wrong way round as I was on a mini island again forcing me to slam on breaks. Which got him nowhere as we were 50 yards from station car park which I still got in first.

I do enjoy my cycle and it's my main form of exercise at the moment, but I wonder which will happen first, I get hit or lose it. With the adrenaline pumping today I did have to stop myself, other than a choice few words.

I seem to remember towards Christmas last year there seemed to be an increase of people driving like dicks. It's started early this year.

Someone slightly scraped my car as it was parked on the road last week and good on'em, they knocked my door and told me. 

So I took my car to the garage to get the license plate reattached (it was only held on by 3 pieces of sticky plastic stuff..) and I loved the garage, which was full of smashed up Audi's, BMW's, Merc's and Range Rovers and very little else, 1 or 2 Corsa's. 

**** self important, wannabe big wigs with no regard for anyone else, getting up the arses of whoever is over taking etc etc. I'm glad that garage gave me the knowledge that not all of the words removed get away with it. :)  

57 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I seem to remember towards Christmas last year there seemed to be an increase of people driving like dicks. It's started early this year.

Agreed, round here its also a product of the council deciding to "improve" two of the main three routes into the city from the North at the same time, one being the alternative route for the other.

Â