Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. But it passes. Mine were a nightmare at times, but turned out just fine. 

12 hours later we are all good again. We are very much a like and I raised her too be spirited and not take any crap.

I've done too good a job.... When she doesn't like me, she really doesn't like me. Not much hurts me but her being mad at me rocks me.

She has gone to bed talking to me again so I am happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trivial, but slightly depressing, thread on what pop culture references A-level receivers won't know:

Alot of those students will have been conceived in desperation and dispair by parents who thought the world was going end because of the Millennium Bug. And then named after the place they were conceived, 'milkfloat' was quite a popular name at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Double whammy here.

(1) A font that uses a with-serif capital 'I' for a numeral '1'.

(2) The fact that the second and third volumes have the start and end dates on the spine, but the first doesn't. 

IMG_20180815_194801.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Double whammy here.

(2) The fact that the second and third volumes have the start and end dates on the spine, but the first doesn't. 

IMG_20180815_194801.jpg

Presumably absolutely nothing of note happened in 1689?

Apart from The English Convention, which could possibly qualify as a great tale what with James II legging it to France.

• Like 2

My garden is a complete mess. Less of a mess than it was after a couple of drastic interventions with a saw, hedge trimmer and strimmer that completely curtailed the ambitions of an enormous magnolia, decapitated a very sad rose bush and fought off some weird vine thing.

An unexpected side effect of this was the freed up space was instantly invaded by brambles everywhere. Having done enough gardening for the next couple of years I left those alone, and have ended up with literally industrial levels of massive blackberries. Great my girlfriend thought, she loves blackberries, so every week we're out there digging through the set of Jumanji to collect tubs and tubs of blackberries.

The side effect of this pisses me off. The first time we did this, I was only wearing shorts and the next week had my legs looking like I had chickenpox. Incredibly itchy swollen welts all over my legs, surrounded by pink blotches like hives, that leave purple patches line scars once they heal. Subsequently I've worn trousers for each expedition, but every time without fail I come away with swollen welts like really evil insect bites somewhere on me. Meanwhile the girlfriend comes away completely fine.

I might have to invest in a hazmat suit.

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Presumably absolutely nothing of note happened in 1689?

Apart from The English Convention, which could possibly qualify as a great tale what with James II legging it to France.

Good point. Triple whammy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

My uncle in law is dying...

Visiting a dying friend at the weekend.

Will be seeing him again in a couple of weeks for his wedding in the hospice.

Not one for tears here, but I'm filling up already at the thought of the wedding.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Double whammy here.

IMG_20180815_194801.jpg

There are almost too many annoying things in this image for me to handle.

• Like 2

I don’t know if this has been covered yet, but whoever the **** decided it was ok that a PIE only had to have a LID of pastry. I swear that is now the majority of bullshit pies (or lies, if you will) that one can get in London. Not happy. 

• Like 2

Shit beer in pubs. I'm not a hipster craft ale snob but so many places serve the same horrible piss. I'd just like my lager to actually taste of something.

(You fancy city dwelling folk may not have to suffer this as frequently.)

And this deserves a place in here because going out to the pub for a few pints should not be something that pisses me off. Won't even get started on the prices...

6 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

lager 

There's your mistake. 

EDIT: More seriously, the whole point of 'draught' lager in pubs is that it's keg. Sealed, pressurised, pasteurised, sterilised, chilled. So it always tastes the same. If it actually tastes bad, that's almost certainly the fault of dirty feed pipes. If it's tasteless, then hey, that's what it is. Whereas with ale, the risk of it tasting bad is considerably higher, due to the care required in keeping it. If the bar staff don't know what they're doing, you're safer drinking lager (or bottled beer). But, at its best, ale wins every time. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Shit beer in pubs. I'm not a hipster craft ale snob but so many places serve the same horrible piss. I'd just like my lager to actually taste of something.

(You fancy city dwelling folk may not have to suffer this as frequently.)

And this deserves a place in here because going out to the pub for a few pints should not be something that pisses me off. Won't even get started on the prices...

Amen.

I don't drink but your local should be a place of refreshment both in ale and from ail.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There's your mistake. 

EDIT: More seriously, the whole point of 'draught' lager in pubs is that it's keg. Sealed, pressurised, pasteurised, sterilised, chilled. So it always tastes the same. If it actually tastes bad, that's almost certainly the fault of dirty feed pipes. If it's tasteless, then hey, that's what it is. Whereas with ale, the risk of it tasting bad is considerably higher, due to the care required in keeping it. If the bar staff don't know what they're doing, you're safer drinking lager (or bottled beer). But, at its best, ale wins every time. 

Another thing that pisses me off is ale drinkers' weird superiority complex ;)

And also a bigger reason the lager tastes shit is because the choice is Fosters, Carling or Carlsberg - basically something cheap and weak and made over here.

I also love wheat beer but very few places have it. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Another thing that pisses me off is ale drinkers' weird superiority complex ;)

And also a bigger reason the lager tastes shit is because the choice is Fosters, Carling or Carlsberg - basically something cheap and weak and made over here.

I also love wheat beer but very few places have it. 

I agree with you. I'm not averse to a good continental lager. But usually in bottled form. As you say, the choice in most pubs is very poor. 

But I can't deny, I'll always go for a well kept ale if it's available. 

Â