Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

All little kids this year. Clusters of them in fancy dress with a couple of parents stood respectfully distant back on the pavement.

We had nothing out as an indicator, but we had the lights on as per usual. Lots of houses in darkness. Plus it appeared to be parents spotting who was answering to the last cluster of kids and going to the same place. I didn't know the etiquette for when the next bunch are clearly heading your way. Do you close the door so they get to knock the door? Or do you just wait? I decided pavement but obviously heading my way - close the door. Already on the path, stand and wait.

Had a giant tub of wriggling worms sours. Told most kids there was one real worm in every bag and a couple of woodlice. They loved it. Charging back down the path telling their mums they had a real worm!

It stopped like a turned off tap at 7:00pm. All very civilised.

• Like 1

A grown man, probably in his thirties or forties, who lives just down the road from me, hanging a Liverpool flag from his balcony. Way to stink up the place, dick head. Time to grow up!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My Google Calendar has the 5th of November marked as "Guy Fawkes Day". Never once ever have I or anyone I know called it Guy Fawkes Day.

Are you joking?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Are you joking?

Which bit, that google calls it Guy Fawkes Day or that I know of no one that calls it Guy Fawkes Day, as I assure you I am deadly serious about both.

Edited by Seat68

On 01/11/2017 at 13:09, JB said:

A grown man, probably in his thirties or forties, who lives just down the road from me, hanging a Liverpool flag from his balcony. Way to stink up the place, dick head. Time to grow up!

Set fire to it then do the good thing and ring the fire service. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

Which bit, that google calls it Guy Fawkes Day or that I know of no one that calls it Guy Fawkes Day?

That you've never called it Guy Fawkes day.

I call it bonfire night, but I've heard it referred to as Guy Fawkes day thousands of times. I believe that's the "proper" name.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That you've never called it Guy Fawkes day.

I call it bonfire night, but I've heard it referred to as Guy Fawkes day thousands of times. I believe that's the "proper" name.

Never heard anyone ever call it that, always bonfire night, sometimes guy fawkes night, but never guy fawkes day. With this revelation, I feel sullied that I took wallet advice now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Never heard anyone ever call it that, always bonfire night, sometimes guy fawkes night, but never guy fawkes day. With this revelation, I feel sullied that I took wallet advice now.

Oh ok, I think I misunderstood your post. 

I took it to meant you'd never even heard of it being called "Guy Fawkes..." :D 

• Like 1

Some wanky organised events around here have dispensed with the bonfire altogether, are just doing fireworks and calling it 'Fireworks night'.

Shan't be going to those methinks.

whatever it's called, let's agree that Lewes have not been "doing it right"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/03/lewes-bonfire-society-agrees-to-stop-blacking-up-in-annual-parade

Symes told the Guardian: “We became the target of a vicious campaign which had no basis in reality. What we do was never intended to be racist. There is a saying in Sussex, ‘We won’t be druv’, and there is no way in the world any external pressure group would ever make a bonfire society move one inch. We are more than happy to take this advice from Thanda. We are very, very happy to say we are making minor but significant alterations based on very meaningful cultural advice from Thanda.”

Around 70 members of the Borough Bonfire Society are due to march in the costumes. “I am not going to give a guarantee there will be no ‘blackface’ around,” Symes said. “But the guarantee I can give is we are bending over backwards to comply with this advice.”

:mellow:

although the line I've bolded may be one of the most british sentences I've read today

The annual weekend of my cats being petrified because every gormless clearing in the woods in the street wants to have their own personal firework demonstration in their garden.

I wouldn't ban fireworks, but I'd happily ban their sale to the public. There's enough official events in every town and village across the country without every clearing in the woods feeling like they need to have the biggest arsenal in the **** postcode.

• Like 3

Â