Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My own mother has two beliefs that drive me to absolute distraction, but as you say, properly tackling it just isn't worth the family based grief.

Item one, horoscopes. Apparently, there must be 'something' in it, or they wouldn't still be doing it.

Item two, a belief in whatever is printed in a newspaper. A bad base to be working from at the best of times, but she reads the Daily Mail. I've given up trying to tell her that muslamic death flu spiders are not getting here in french cheese and fiddling with celebrities' children. Her response, 'well they wouldn't just make it up'.

What's particularly annoying with the belief in whatever has been written in a newspaper is that many years ago, she herself was the subject of an article in a local paper. She spoke directly to the journalist about all the facts. She stood there with a journalist asking questions and writing down answers in a little pad. When the story came out, every single point of 'fact' was changed. It was truly strange, I'd been there in the room myself and witnessed the conversation. It was a piece about a letter she'd sent, to a relative in Australia, that got returned 10 years later, having been held as evidence as it had been in a mail bag on a hi jacked plane that had been blown up on some dusty middle east runway (when that was the fashion). 

They got her name wrong, her age, where the letter was going, when it had been sent, where it got blown up. They had the whole story, but every single detail wrong.

She knows that I myself was once wrongly named in a newspaper for being banned from football for hooliganism.* 

Having had those personal experiences, to this day, she reads something in the paper and thinks, 'must be true'.

*I had been banned, but for non-attendance. The owner believed I was leading a boycott. He told me the ban would be lifted if I started attending games again. He had certain problems. 

Hooligan! We will need you next Sunday for the battle of brum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

*I had been banned, but for non-attendance. The owner believed I was leading a boycott. He told me the ban would be lifted if I started attending games again. He had certain problems. 

So you were banned from attending games...until you attended a game?

giphy.gif

Edited by WhatAboutTheFinish
  • Like 2

The lying journalists thing always amazes me. I mean, I can see why editors with a political agenda will distort facts. And sensationalist/celebrity crap always sells. But even at the most banal local level, they always feel they have to change everything from what they have been told. I have several friends who have had stories in local papers and, like Chris says, EVERY SINGLE DETAIL has been reported incorrectly, for no obvious reason. It's like a compulsion with them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The lying journalists thing always amazes me. I mean, I can see why editors with a political agenda will distort facts. And sensationalist/celebrity crap always sells. But even at the most banal local level, they always feel they have to change everything from what they have been told. I have several friends who have had stories in local papers and, like Chris says, EVERY SINGLE DETAIL has been reported incorrectly, for no obvious reason. It's like a compulsion with them. 

Fake News!  See?  Our esteemed president IS right about the Dishonest Media.  You just haven't been willing to acknowledge it because you're envious of his success as a business man.  Sad!

I was once interviewed as a vox pop for the shropshire star, they wanted my views on telford town centre introducing parking charges, I was 31 at the time I think, I knocked 10 year off my age, that got a laugh at work.

the phrase to ship someone. WTAF is this shit. My partner mentioned it conversation whilst watching some TV show, "I ship those two characters". I then get called old for not understanding what language she was talking about. Seems more like grounds for separation.What an appalling use of language. 

Assuming other people like me have no idea what this is:

"Shipping is a fandom practice that involves imagining relationships between two fictional characters from a show, movie, or book series"

:wacko:

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

the phrase to ship someone. WTAF is this shit. My partner mentioned it conversation whilst watching some TV show, "I ship those two characters". I then get called old for not understanding what language she was talking about. Seems more like grounds for separation.What an appalling use of language. 

"Shipping is a fandom practice that involves imagining relationships between two fictional characters from a show, movie, or book series"

That seems devoid of any benefit. It reminds me of a scene from Gavin & Stacey where Gavin is perplexed by Stacey guessing 'boy or girl' in a room of expectant mothers and then, as she's unlikely to get to know, pretending how many she got correct. Totally pointless.

Did you ask your partner what the point of it is?

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Leave her.

• Like 1

I knew what shipping was!

It's basically writing a story where Dr Who gets rough rogered by Thor whilst R2D2 films it.

But I only found out what a snes was 20 minutes ago.

She's in to erotic fantasy fiction mate, there's gotta be an angle for you there?

chimichanga_spiderman.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Celebrating Halloween is a load of Americanised bollocks. Understandable if you have kids, if you don't then you are a monumental f*cktard.

If only America had been populated by Europeans bringing their customs and traditions  with them we'd have none of this shit   :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â