Bafetimbi Gomis (Lyon)

Villan4Life

Surprised this thread is so quiet. Lyon's president has said he's in talks with us about a striker who scored 20 goals in all competitions last season and 25 the season before. We know all too well that a president saying something doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still.  :mrgreen:

Looking at Lyon's forums, opinion seems split on him. Some want him to go as he doesn't fit in the way the club is going as they feel Gomis is stifling Lacazette's progress, as the latter is being forced to play out wide. On the other hand, some can see his value in that he scores goals and they don't feel selling him is in the club's best interests.

It would not actually surprise me if he was an option for Benteke's replacement.

He seems a bit like the centre forward equivalent of Ron Vlaar so I don't think he is entirely out of the question when people are saying he doesn't fit Lambert's profile.

Poor mans Darren Bent. Would make no sense to me for Villa. Newcastle I can see though, fits their play style better.

That has to be the worst comparison ever. Have you seen Gomis play? He is more a Drogba, big, good in the air, not like Bent who is a fox in the box player

• Like 1

We do need another striker regardless since bent won`t be playing. If Gomis wants to be a backup for Benteke(if he stays) is another question.

I think Helenius is Bent's replacement.

Heard a lot of mixed things about Gomis, and he seems to have been linked with a move to the prem every season for as long as I can remember. Good goals record - 96 league.

Would probably be a bit of a coup. Certainly more so than our last ''big coup'', which I believe was Alan Hutton (according to a certain Scot)

The one thing I can't get away from with him is that if he was all that, he'd have left France by now. For whatever reason, he hasn't. He either doesn't want to (do we want to sign a homesick player?) or no-one else has seen enough in him to gamble. Whichever it is, I'd leave him on the shop shelf and move on. Plenty more out there.