English Premier League, not respected abroad?

mikeyp102

So in the last few yrs the prem has been linked to some of the biggest names in world football... Goetze, Isco, Neymar, Cavanni, Alacantra etc...

But none of these have joined a team in the prem, deciding to stay or move to mainland European teams..

So why do people think this is the case?

Cavani has only gone to psg cus they are the only club willing to

a - pay his ridiculous transfer fee

b - pay his wage demands (240k p/w apparently).

This sort of transfer was what man city would have done 3 years ago to show they mean business, they dont need to pull off this sort of deal anymore. no english buyers here because his not worth the fee, the wage, and he has a stupid hair cut

The Rev, not really, just using some examples... In the last few yrs which top stars have moved to the prem? David Silva, Robinho, Dzeko, Torres and maybe Mata (even though he was still young) have probably been the highest profiles to join in recent yrs, and whilst they are all good players it would be hard pushed to say that any at the time were world class.

Edited by mikeyp102

but this is not a new thing. In last 20 years the league has developed the top players with potential from other leagues like Ronaldo, Fabregas, Cech even arguably Torres and got some flops from other teams and developed them into quality players like Bergkamp or Henry.

In my lifetime the only genuine players to join English league from abroad is Veron, Ballack, Shevchenko and probably Crespo

In my lifetime the only genuine players to join English league from abroad is Veron, Ballack, Shevchenko and probably Crespo

and all those players could be considered failures in the premierleague, ballack did the best of all them, but he hardly ripped up trees

Which league provided the most players at both the 2006 and 2010 world cup, as well as the Euro 2012 championships? The premiership. I would argue that is a reason to suggest the top player's from other countries do come here.  Possibly more of the very very top world class players go to Spain, but I think the premiership has more of them top world class players then the German and Italian leagues.

sort of understand what he's trying to say.. sort of..

I mean, apart from Ronaldo, we've not had loads of truly world class players like Messi, Zidane, Maldini, Raul, Buffon, Nedved in their absolute pomp..

Henry? He was one of the best ever in changing the role of a forward.. 

The players in their absolute best years.. from memory.. do seem to go to Madrid or Barcelona or one of the Italian teams (when they were good in the 90s)..

But on the whole, the premier league is the most competitive and the top 4 all have world famous stars.  I just think their underappreciated in the country (players like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Shearer, Hazard, Torres).  

I guess one way of measuring it would be where the Ballon d'Or winner plays.   Since the turn of the century, the Premier League has only had the Ballon d'Or winner twice (Michael Owen in 2001, Cristiano Ronaldo in 2008) and both of those players moved to Real Madrid.   Serie A has had three winners (Nedved, Schevchenko, Kaka) and the rest have played for either Real Madrid or Barcelona.   But Ballon d'Or winners don't really get transferred unless it is to Real Madrid or Barcelona.   The Premier League might not do Galactico transfers, but it is a ridiculously strong league. 

Yeah I'm with Rev here. You've just picked a few examples. But there are plenty of top players who do come here.

But not EVERY top player can play in the Prem.

the thing for me is of the last 20 years though none of the elite players have ever joined the league except Ballack. Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul, Totti, Del Piero, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Figo, NEdved, Nesta, Cannavaro even Zlatan im sure has said he wouldnt play in English league because of media

I remember Ronaldinho joined Barcelona ahead of United who had just won the league and Barcelona finished 6th, same with Ozil he turned down United to go Real apparently same with Neuer to Bayern

Edited by Zatman

South American players are naturally going to gravitate to Spain and Italy though, the climate is more what they are used to, the culture is closer and Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are all remarkably similar languages.  If football really does start to take of in North America and the US starts producing a lot of world class players in a generation or two's time, I'd imagine most of them will head to England for similar reasons. 

• Like 1

Because the Premier League is incredibly fast and physical and players who like to dance with the ball are probably going to get crunched a lot more than they do in Spain and Italy, IMO.

Why would Messi move to England when centre backs will smash him physically week in week out when he can continue to be ridiculously well paid at one of the top few clubs in the world in Spain?

Ronaldinho was the same deal. 

Because the Premier League is incredibly fast and physical and players who like to dance with the ball are probably going to get crunched a lot more than they do in Spain and Italy, IMO.

thats a myth though. Silva, Cazorla, Bannan, Mata even Suarez isnt the biggest are hardly heavyweights and they are thriving

Â