Matchday Plans

conorm

Thanks to Electric Avenue, I have snagged a ticket to the Wycombe game. What are people's plans for travel, arrival, drinks and afterwards?

I'm coming from London (well, Epsom) by train so would be keen to either meet up for a drink near Marleybone and make our way out or just meet near the ground.

Not been to Adams Park before so don't know the lay of the land. Looks like a 13:55 bus from High Wycombe station. Assume away fans will gather around the station somewhere or at the ground itself?

I'll be drinking in Wycombe beforehand I would think. Unfortunately Wycombe is very hilly (for those who've never been here) so walking from the station is a nightmare. Bus is probably your best bet

Yeh, I'll jump on the bus I reckon. Do you know what pubs are good for away fans?

There is a decent boozer directly opposite the station or you can go down the hill from the station, turn right and you are in town.  The ground is quite a way from the town centre, taxi or bus is certainly the way to go. 

There is a decent boozer directly opposite the station or you can go down the hill from the station, turn right and you are in town. The ground is quite a way from the town centre, taxi or bus is certainly the way to go.

Which pubs that?

http://goo.gl/maps/y3TS2

http://thebootleggerpub.co.uk/

You can't miss it if you are coming out of the station.  I've not been in there in awhile (last time was the 8-3 game, and I've since stopped drinking alcohol) but it was a very pleasant place when I was last in.   My knowledge of the rest of High Wycombe is pretty limited, I work on the railway line which serves the station so while I pass through the place every day any break I get there really only gives me time enough to go to the fried chicken joint half way down the hill.  

Edited by The_Rev

Cheers Rev. Do you know if it is away fan friendly, or does it even matter?

Anyone interested in meeting up in The Bootlegger (or elsewhere in Wycombe) beforehand? I'm heading up on my own - would be good to meet some friendly, if not familiar, faces.

Edited by conorm

Anyone interested in meeting up in The Bootlegger (or elsewhere in Wycombe) beforehand? I'm heading up on my own - would be good to meet some friendly, if not familiar, faces.

According to the Twitter account for Villa match day policing (@WMPVillaFC) all pubs are away friendly and Wycombe are putting on a marquee outside the ground selling alcohol for away fans.

FWIW I had the opportunity to meet the Wycombe chairman a few weeks ago - top bloke who was delighted that PL was returning - they're planning on it being an "appreciation" game of sorts for him.

Anyway to get back to topic my brother is coming on the train and I'll be meeting him at Wycombe station so will probably tag onto other fans off the train

Edited by AstonMartyn88

I'm going by train getting the 9:00 one from Walsall. I've stupidly booked the 17:30 one back. Is there enough time to get back to the station from the ground to catch this? Also if me and my mates miss this one do any of you think there will be trouble from inspectors on the next one?

there usually aren't inspectors on trains coming back fro maway games, but I'm not so sure about this game.

Edited by djamfisher

I'm going by train getting the 9:00 one from Walsall. I've stupidly booked the 17:30 one back. Is there enough time to get back to the station from the ground to catch this? Also if me and my mates miss this one do any of you think there will be trouble from inspectors on the next one?

there usually aren't inspectors on trains coming back fro maway games, but I'm not so sure about this game.

It will be tight getting back in 30 minutes, Adams Park is a good three miles from High Wycombe station and as said earlier because the ground is at a dead end at the top of a long street which also happens to be an industrial estate then it can be a pain in the arse trying to get out in a vehicle.  Taxis might be reluctant to come to the stadium because turning around at the top is tricky when it is busy, so you might be best served by walking down to the roundabout at the bottom of the street and trying to get a taxi from there.  I don't think you have any chance of making it back to the station if you walk or get the bus. 

As for the train trip?  Like I said, I work for the company who run trains between Birmingham and High Wycombe.  There will be an inspector on the train, often they aren't booked to get onto the train until Banbury but there will be one. If you are on the "wrong" train then you can hope the inspector will use their discretion and let you off, especially if you explain you bought the ticket in good faith thinking you would be back for the 17:30 (might be worth telling them you missed the 17:30 by a few seconds!) but it really is up to them.  There are some people who will let you off, there are some who wont.  Probably worth mentioning that a lot of the inspectors on Chiltern are bluenoses though. :P 

It will be tight getting back in 30 minutes, Adams Park is a good three miles from High Wycombe station and as said earlier because the ground is at a dead end at the top of a long street which also happens to be an industrial estate then it can be a pain in the arse trying to get out in a vehicle.  Taxis might be reluctant to come to the stadium because turning around at the top is tricky when it is busy, so you might be best served by walking down to the roundabout at the bottom of the street and trying to get a taxi from there.  I don't think you have any chance of making it back to the station if you walk or get the bus. 

As for the train trip?  Like I said, I work for the company who run trains between Birmingham and High Wycombe.  There will be an inspector on the train, often they aren't booked to get onto the train until Banbury but there will be one. If you are on the "wrong" train then you can hope the inspector will use their discretion and let you off, especially if you explain you bought the ticket in good faith thinking you would be back for the 17:30 (might be worth telling them you missed the 17:30 by a few seconds!) but it really is up to them.  There are some people who will let you off, there are some who wont.  Probably worth mentioning that a lot of the inspectors on Chiltern are bluenoses though. :P

The_Rev, do you have any insight into travel to/from London (Marleybone)? I had thought I'd just get a return which could be used at any time that day. Do Chiltern require you to purchase onto a specific train?

According to the Twitter account for Villa match day policing (@WMPVillaFC) all pubs are away friendly and Wycombe are putting on a marquee outside the ground selling alcohol for away fans.

FWIW I had the opportunity to meet the Wycombe chairman a few weeks ago - top bloke who was delighted that PL was returning - they're planning on it being an "appreciation" game of sorts for him.

Anyway to get back to topic my brother is coming on the train and I'll be meeting him at Wycombe station so will probably tag onto other fans off the train

Cheers for the tip. Following @WMPVillaFC myself now.

Marquee sounds like a good enough bet. Might see you there!

Â