AVTV: General chat

ciggiesnbeer

I disagree. Closed protocol and with bad platform support. It's time we let flash go into retirement. There is no such thing as flash (done properly) and the sooner devs that say that get retrained the better.

I whole heartedly agree, but using Flash allows the streaming companies to obscure enough of the stream that it makes it too difficult for average Joe to rip or share. As such, we won't be seeing the back of it any time soon on sites like AVTV :(

People should use better tools like the pirates do :)

I suspect you are right and you are only increasing my contempt for people who don't understand the technology which is their business.

I disagree. Closed protocol and with bad platform support. It's time we let flash go into retirement. There is no such thing as flash (done properly) and the sooner devs that say that get retrained the better.

Yeah I was talking about the quality, in terms of being done properly, in this case it would be that you were seeing good quality video.

Flash won't even be an issue in a few years but it is still a reality now especially fo rthose seeking full screen GPU accelerated streaming video. I don't get the religious hatred for it, especially seeing as it was begun by the biggest closed shop rip off in the world which is Apple. Personally I will try any technology and learned the lesson long ago about being tied to a particular platform or language. They all have pros and cons. Again personally I prefer FOSS in as many stages of production as possible, but I'm in the minority. I don't see that gives me any moral high ground however and would let other devs do what they think is best and works :)

Yeah I was talking about the quality, in terms of being done properly, in this case it would be that you were seeing good quality video.

Flash won't even be an issue in a few years but it is still a reality now especially fo rthose seeking full screen GPU accelerated streaming video. I don't get the religious hatred for it, especially seeing as it was begun by the biggest closed shop rip off in the world which is Apple. Personally I will try any technology and learned the lesson long ago about being tied to a particular platform or language. They all have pros and cons. Again personally I prefer FOSS in as many stages of production as possible, but I'm in the minority. I don't see that gives me any moral high ground however and would let other devs do what they think is best and works :)

Adobe dropped support for Flash on Linux. Nothing to do with Apple and nothing "religious". I don't hate it, I just recognise that it's a dinosaur and that it shouldn't be implemented on new sites.

Adobe totally killed it pretty quickly, linux support was one of the first to go along with the flash lite stuff.

Yep, it's gonner, but it can do very high quality video still :)

I think the only place it *should* have is very niche, as a fallback for those on older browsers on desktop machines for rich content. I can see why it would be used though, and I agree with Chewie adobe were super quick to get on teh DRM bandwagon as a way to sell flash. 

Aaaaanyway, yes quality on AVTV is poor (still) and your comment about the pirates tech is spot on. 

I think the only place it *should* have is very niche, as a fallback for those on older browsers on desktop machines for rich content. I can see why it would be used though, and I agree with Chewie adobe were super quick to get on teh DRM bandwagon as a way to sell flash. 

They probably were. Dumb move though. Anyone who knows what they are doing can still rip the content. All the content owners and pirates know this, so presumably it was purely anti-consumer.

Yeah, I wouldn't know anything about that sort of thing :ph34r:

They probably were. Dumb move though. Anyone who knows what they are doing can still rip the content. All the content owners and pirates know this, so presumably it was purely anti-consumer.

Mr CEO for Fox Sports (for instance) will have been sold that everyone is a hacker and if you use that dangerous HTML5 then no one will pay for your content. "You'll lose money faster than a weekend in Vegas with 10 hookers and their weight in coke" they would have said... "Shit, I can relate to that, sign me up to the Flash version" is how I imagine the conversation went. :D

Edited by Chewie

Yeah, I wouldn't know anything about that sort of thing :ph34r:

Mr CEO for Fox Sports (for instance) will have been sold that everyone is a hacker and if you use that dangerous HTML5 then no one will pay for your content. "You'll lose money faster than a weekend in Vegas with 10 hookers and their weight in coke" they would have said... "Shit, I can relate to that, sign me up to the Flash version" is how I imagine the conversation went. :D

Ahaha, I imagine actual hookers and coke were invloved in the decision for RAI (the BBC equivalent over here) to use silverlight for all live streams, up until last year all their content was silverlight!! o.O

• 2 months later...

I've joined AVTV for the first time. Only doing it for a month to see what it's like.

Not bad so far. Some good interviews on there and the match highlights are way more extensive than I was anticipating.

I've joined AVTV for the first time. Only doing it for a month to see what it's like.

Not bad so far. Some good interviews on there and the match highlights are way more extensive than I was anticipating.

It's good. What's a fiver a month these days anyway, I give four times that to random fecking charities that caught me off guard on a good day.

Except I don't pay for AVTV as it is also free to season ticket holders. It's much better than it used to be.

Agreed. It's much, much better than it was. Captain Jack still gets stick though, I think because people are just used to him being the butt of the AVTV jokes.

I've had no problems with AVTV lately.

Not working on my Windows 7 laptop. Cuts out a couple of minutes into each feature telling me it is a problem with my internet connection. Which is of course bollocks. 

Have cleared all my cookies and cache, same problem on both Chrome and IE. Works on my mobile (Android - Chrome), using both WiFi and 4G. 

Weird. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

• 2 months later...

What do others think of AVTV and the pre match shows?  Just watched the Man City FA Cup show.  You get 5-6 minutes positive spin about Villa (showing fight, Bacuna doing well, Grealish showing appetite), a bit of a rallying cry (we need more goals from midfield, need a committed performance).  Then we have 11+ minutes on f**king Man City followed by some old coverage of when we used to be good. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Â