Demba Ba

Demitri_C

Not the kind of player, and all the associated age, money and injury concerns, I would try to replace Benteke with in this team.

Edited by Wes

Not the kind of player, and all the associated age, money and injury concerns, I would try to replace Benteke with in this team.

Yeah 28 - he is an old man. Injury concerned I don't know to much about but seemed to play enough for Newcastle last season. Money would be a problem but a loan deal wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Crazy reading this thread. 68 Premier league appearances in the last 2 seasons, 31 goals. 

But no, he's too proven for us, we should only concentrate on unproven players. 

Don't get me wrong, I can't see it happening because he's only been at Chelsea for half a season but would he be a quality replacement for Benteke, absolutely he would and we'd be lucky to have him. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has said he's too proven for us. At all.

He's not in line with our current transfers and if we did sign him then we wouldn't be sticking to our own philosophy which IMO, despite having the positive of signing a good player like Ba, would be a net negative as his wages would effect morale and unity in the squad.

Crazy reading this thread. 68 Premier league appearances in the last 2 seasons, 31 goals.

But no, he's too proven for us, we should only concentrate on unproven players.

Don't get me wrong, I can't see it happening because he's only been at Chelsea for half a season but would he be a quality replacement for Benteke, absolutely he would and we'd be lucky to have him.

Has anyone actually said that? I suspect not.

He's got £12.5 million of wages left on his contract.

Add that to:

the transfer fee (£7m),

his agent's fee (£2.5m when he went to Chelsea),

employer's NI over his contract (circa £2m),

medical insurance

and it will cost near enough £25 million to secure him for 3 years.

So to rephrase it: does anyone think using all the money from the Benteke deal to secure Ba for three years is a good deal?

Lambert likes a big physical centre forward, Ba doesn't fit that.

Really? He's pretty big, he can also be pretty physical.

Had you said Lambert likes young players on low wages and Ba doesn't fit the bill I'd agree with you.

I don't think this would be bad move actually.

However Lambert warned that pre season training would be tough this year - and a few twenty somethings are dropping like flies in Germany ! - could a dodgy knee on a 28 year old - who probably looks on villa as a step down possibly fit in ? 

Of the forwards linked with Gayle has moved, Austin isn't fit enough , - has Troy Deeney gone anywhere yet ?

I'd definitely take Ba, as long as his wage demands aren't too extortionate.

I know he doesn't fit in with out current policy, but for the £7m being touted I think that would be a great price for him, and it would still leave a big chunk of the Benteke money to strengthen other areas.

Edited by adz.villa

Ba would be a good signing but he won't reduce his wages from 70-80k down to the 40k we would want to pay.

Lukau x 2 did well at WB so I'm sure Mourinho would want to see him play first before writing him off, plus the bloke said last season that Tekkers should move to a bigger club so is clearly as much of a big time Charlie as Benteke wants to be.

If we sell Benteke I expect us to gamble again on a relative unknown successful in another less thought of division and 6-10 mil in value 40-60k wages. I don't think there is a single striker ot player in the prem ship Lambert would bother with, it is the most bloated overpaid overrated league in the world full of mediocre players getting paid buckets of cash to do **** all. Look at the England team on all levels, shite and when teams like Villa develop young stars like Crowley any word removed can poach them for peanuts.

• Like 1