Half a Year Away - 6 months into Martin O'Neill's Reign

LancsVillan

Nice one Blandy, I've rewritten this six times now, but in passing you did make comment to those fans who questioned O'Neill's abilities.

As the prime one I guess, referred to, may I say that injuries have not always been accepted as an excuse, any manager, Messiah or not, that manages over one of the poorest runs in their History, cannot be excused so easily from blame.

In my view any new manager should have achieved all the virtues you have mentioned above especially when you take into account the big plus of Lerner taking over, a manager as experienced as O'Neill and his coaching staff should have been able to achieve it in their sleep.

O'Neill has a fantastic CV and is well liked, we are unbelievably lucky he signed on and took on Aston Villa as he did.

Sadly so far he hasn't done much were it matters most, on the pitch, but unquestionably his potential to do so remains as high as it did when he joined, the new acquisitions will no doubt help.

Whilst I applaud your positive view and agree his approach and that of his backers are so refreshing in comparison to our recent past, I just feel that, although your sentiments are spot on, your justification is a trifle eccentric and not wholly in keeping with fact

This will be seen as negative I know, sorry, my apologies in advance, I'm not totally of the faith you see, not yet, I've seen no miracles, just the preaching :)

Yes there have been improvements, yes there is a mood of enthusiasm and hope amongst all of us and why not we have a new experienced and proven manager and a billionaire owner, we'd be a dumb lot if we weren't wetting ourselves with excitement, yes the future must be bright.

I just happen to think many managers in the same circumstances would have done as well, I think there's a good possibility on the field especially some may have done better, short term at least.

spot on Mr Blandmeister, i agree entirely (even after having read and ignored the post directly above this one).

MON had done "OK" so far and, having (apparently) come through our sticky patch, and having brouight in some decent additions, i think we can look forward to a decent run in and next season should hopefully offer new horizons.

Thinking about it Pete , it's amazing really how well MON has done considering the shambles the club was in when he took over. I mean 24 years of Ellis and all the underinvestment that came with him, especially on the playing side, is going to take some correcting isn't it.

Nice one Blandy, I've rewritten this six times now, but in passing you did make comment to those fans who questioned O'Neill's abilities.

As the prime one I guess, referred to....

Honestly, Malc, you didn't even cross my mind when I was thinking of people who raised questions...Perhaps you should, mind ;) but all I really meant was that "I heard (and read) various comments from a number of people, some walking away from the ground, some on here that held a particular opinion at the time I heard/read them" i.e. I wasn't writing in response to a person, but to a general impression from a section of people.

I just happen to think many managers in the same circumstances would have done as well, I think there's a good possibility on the field especially some may have done better, short term at least.

That's a perfectly reasonable view to hold. No one will ever know whether it's right or wrong.

I don't see your post as negative, just putting forward a partially differing view, which is fine.

Â