Villa pre-season results not important?

Hughes

Pre-season results will always matter to the SUPPORTERS, no one wants to see their side lose no matter what team  we play against. I think Lambert has done a great job so far by bringing in the new players early>>only time will tell if they gel together>>there is nothing worst than having to work with people you dislike or a Boss you can't stand, they have time to bond before we start the season and IMO "They will be just fine" .

We've been playing a different 11 in each half, and neither 11 has been our full strength, first choice team.

Results don't matter at all. It's all about fitness and seeing how each individual is playing.

The last game we played was against a team who start their season next week. So they will be 3 or 4 weeks fitter than our team anyway!

• Like 2

On the flip side if we won all our pre season games this place would be a jizz fest with predictions of us finishing in the top 4 and PL for mayor! ;)

In a way i think its important to beat these championship standard teams as we'll most likely (touch wood) be coming up against them in the cup competitions. we don't want a repeat of last season. 

In a way i think its important to beat these championship standard teams as we'll most likely (touch wood) be coming up against them in the cup competitions. we don't want a repeat of last season. 

It does not mean anything though, since when the real stuff comes along, the players will be 100% fitter than they are now, and that's all its about. Its just practice at this moment in time.

The only friendlies that will have any type of cutting edge will be the final two/three where the Manager will have them playing the way he wants them to.  But even then, I would not read to much into it.

From what I've seen we look stronger than this time last year.  There's an understanding about our style of play, more strength in depth, and that crucial extra year of experience for the rookies.  Things look more solid out there and I can sense progress.  The results aren't important at this stage but you can get a feel for things.

I think this time last year Lambert didn't know which of his established players he could trust and which of the new boys could cut it.

This year he has a solid core of proven players he knows he can put his faith in, and I think he knows where we are as a team and what he wants to achieve with the pre-season.

• Like 2

Yes, the Benteke thing is the fly in the ointment at the moment.  Potentially we have a strong spine taking shape: Guzan -Vlarr/Okre - Sylla- Benteke.  There's a lot of steel there to build something around.  

Results aren't too important but it would be nice to get a decent defence during the games and get the new players settled , sadly we seem to be conceding sloppy goals and picking up a few injuries , lets hope for a few clean sheets in the coming games .

Quite a few missing yesterday..... Our squad on paper is looking a hell of a lot better but would prefer them to stay injury free and get some game time together under their belts.

Hopefully the missing players will feature as of Tuesday for the remainder of pre-season.

To begin with no it didn't matter but starting Tuesday against Luton... it now matters.

We need to win, not concede a goal score and play some decent football.

The team needs it to start believing in themselves. The supporters need it for peace of mind that next season will be better than the last.

Â