Villa pre-season results not important?

Hughes

Yeah the results are definitely important at this point especially the way we are fielding two separate teams each half... Come on, use some common sense. It's a run out, letting the players get used to match practice and build their fitness up.

The only friendly match people tend to care about as fans a bit is the big pre-season friendly we have before the season starts, more often than not it's a home game but last season it was Werder Bremen.

Spurs smashed everyone in preseason a few years ago and ended up with 2 points in 8. I've known horrid preseasons turn into great starts so they mean little, infact i always like a loss in preseason to warning from being to confident.

in the last 10 years am sure the only pre-season results I can remember was the Peace Cup, Bohemians and Inter Milan and beating some swedish team 13-0. yet can remember nearly every league or cup game.

so yeah they are mainly worthless :P

Please keep this topic for discussion about whether results of friendlies are meaningless.

There are forums for every match, including friendlies, where you can find discussion and highlights.

Do the results in pre-season matter? No, not at all. Saying that, a good team does not lose or draw 5 in a row and then go on to win the Premier League. You mention Man Utd and Chelsea, two of the best teams in England and the world. That is why they win more games than us, even friendlies. We are one of the weakest teams in the Premier League and have been part of the lower tier of the PL for years. That is why we lose and draw more matches, even friendlies. Not rocket science when we buy unknown Bulgarians and Danes, and Chelsea have spent roughly 30M without it even being regarded as a high figure anymore.

I do want us to win all the friendlies though, the winning mentality is something that cannot be underestimated at all. Arsene Wenger has in my opinion done a huge howler in not taking the League Cup seriously, because lifting a trophy is always lifting a trophy. What is it now? 10 years without one? I remember Man Utd a few years back when Mourinho was at Chelsea and they had gone something like 2-3 years without a trophy, and when they won the League Cup they looked like they had won the Champions League. A few years later and they have several Premier Leagues and a CL to the cabinet. I guess this is Moyes' biggest challenge, he is the kind of manager who is happy with a home victory and an away draw the following week, that is not accepted at Old Trafford.

I hope our Scotting manager wins us more games next season, I was pretty tired of the "we were fantastic/great/marvelous/tremendous" after a loss against another poor team.

I think you can comment on how a player looks individually. That's much easier to judge than a whole team performance.

That being said, their individual performances don't mean much either. Just gives some insight on what kind of player they might be.

The results don't matter of course but quite a lot of other things matter more than some people are suggesting (if they're just "runabouts" why bother to fix up a tour and games?)

Think Lambert will have drawn some conclusions about the strengths and weaknesses of possible defensive line-ups yesterday, for example.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

if they're just "runabouts" why bother to fix up a tour and games?

Because if you're just playing intra squad stuff you come up against the same players with the same strengths and weaknesses all the time. Friendlies are handy because they give you a mix of opponents and tactics to accompany the runabout

Put it this way, for some fans:

If we're losing/drawing games pre season doesn't matter

If we're winning games, pre season does matter and we'll go on to finish top 4...

But by that same token for other fans it's a case of:

If we're losing/drawing - we'll be relegated

If we're winning - pre-season doesn't matter

• Like 1

Sat 15 15:00 A Ipswich Town PREM D 1-1 16,818 League TableMatch Centre Wed 19 19:45 H Leeds United PREM D 1-1 29,151 League TableMatch Centre Sat 22 15:00 H Southampton PREM D 1-1 17,894 League TableMatch Centre Tue 25 19:30 A Everton PREM L 1-0 22,372  

These are the first 4 league fixtures from the season 1992, we also had a very bad pre-season...we finished 2nd this season.

It should matter a darn sight more to the manager than it did last season.

The manager's preparation was wrong in pre-season and we very nearly paid for it with our Premiership status. He got the system badly wrong with the players available and now he has the chance to atone for that during this pre-season so therefore this pre-season in particular is very important to the manager.

He simply must get it right this time with no further excuses. 

• Like 1

Â