Fulham FC

HalfTimePost

In 2004/2005 Bolton finished 6th place and equal on points with Liverpool. I thought for that season only, they played some good stuff. I remembered they hammered Charlton 4-1 and doubled Martin Jol's Spurs side and I thought Bolton have changed.

Edited by Voinjama

• 1 month later...

As this is the closest we have (or indeed 'need') to a Fulham thread, I may aswell put it here. (EDIT : Title changed.  It's now the Fulham thread)

They've just hired Rene Meulensteen as "head coach" to work alongside Martin Jol.

Rene Meulensteen named Fulham's head coach and will work with Martin Jol

Fulham have announced the appointment of Rene Meulensteen as head coach alongside manager Martin Jol.

The Dutchman, who spent over a decade working at Manchester United, joins the struggling Premier League club with immediate effect.

Meulensteen worked for United as youth team and reserve coach before being promoted to assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 49-year-old left the Premier League champions in June when David Moyes succeeded Ferguson and brought in his own coaching team.

Meulensteen joined Anzhi Makhachkala in July as assistant to Guus Hiddink and was promoted to head coach when his fellow Dutchman quit after two games.

"I have spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed. It is our job to make sure we can bring this vision to life on the pitch for the fans."

Rene Meulensteen

However, Meulensteen was sacked after just 16 days in charge of the Russian Premier League club and has now taken a role alongside Jol.

Meulensteen said in a statement: "I was impressed by the vision of Shahid Khan and Alistair Mackintosh.

"I have spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed. It is our job to make sure we can bring this vision to life on the pitch for the fans."

Fulham FC chief executive officer, Alistair Mackintosh said: "We are all delighted to welcome Rene to Fulham.

"There was always going to be a battle for Rene's services and, with the assistance of our chairman Shahid Khan, we have been able to bring one of the best coaches in the world to Fulham."

I really think Hangeland is suffering what many before him have.  Being a top defender with a shite partner, resulting in said centre back looking crap because he's doing 2 jobs and succeeding at neither.  How many times are we going to see this happen before realising that the central pairing is a partnership and really needs both parties to be competent.

dont know he always looked ropey playing with Aaron hughes who I always thought was the better of the 2. Hangeland used to always get caught out of position. Think releasing Baird has also damaged their defence as he used ot sit in front of back 4 and mop up.

on another note was Aaron Hughes a very underrated player at Villa, dont think he ever let us down in his short spell here

Hughes was a mediocre to decent right back for us and I was surprised when Fulham bought him and made him a starter at centre back.  In fairness he seems to have done better there than he did here.

dont know if he is going to help their crap defence. Hangeland and Senderos are shocking, hard to believe the hype around Hangeland a few seasons back

You can't have seen many games then.

Hangeland, although 32 years old now, has always been a very stable defender. He was and is more than good enough to go straight into our team, to put it that way. Senderos on the other hand follows a long line of defenders that I wouldn't even play for our reserves, like Zat Knight, Titus Bramble and the lot.

• Like 1

Senderos is basically in the same category as the likes of Bramble. Can string together some solid performances for a while but will always revert back to being a liability at some point.

Senderos doesn't even have Bramble's highs IMO. Bramble on his day can be a beast. Senderos doesn't have a beast mode. He only has a 'less than shit' mode.

Aaron Hughes was a horrific player for Villa IMO.

Wow horrific, really?

He was always incredibly average but i never saw him play ever and thought he was horrific.

Yes he was a dependable 6/10. We've certainly had worse defenders in recent time.........

dont know if he is going to help their crap defence. Hangeland and Senderos are shocking, hard to believe the hype around Hangeland a few seasons back

You can't have seen many games then.

Hangeland, although 32 years old now, has always been a very stable defender. He was and is more than good enough to go straight into our team, to put it that way. Senderos on the other hand follows a long line of defenders that I wouldn't even play for our reserves, like Zat Knight, Titus Bramble and the lot.

I'm not sure I'd take Hangeland in our team now. Maybe a couple of years ago.

Â