Netflix Recommendations

darrenm

Can we get a Netflix recommendations thread going? I've watched a few gems on there I wouldn't have found otherwise and now I'm looking forward to finding out about more.

Please state if it's only available on US Netflix.

My recommendations: 

1. Arrested Development - I'd heard of it but always assumed it wouldn't be my type of thing. I was so wrong. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever witnessed on TV. Final season is Netflix only and doesn't quite reach the heights of some of the previous ones but still very funny.

2. Breaking Bad - Needs no introduction.

3. Zulu - Somehow manages to come out in really high quality HD even though it's an old film.

4. A Bridge Too Far - ^

5. The Tudors - Game of Thrones with slightly less violence and sex, but at least it actually happened.

6. Californication - Hank Moody changed my life.

7. Dr Who (new)

Think that's about it for 'must watches'. I'll add more when I think about them.

Any recommendations of movies or series on there you'd consider must watch?

If you're feeling like something educational then the TED Talks are often worth a watch. If you can find a topic you're interested in, they're only 10-20 minutes long... essentially lectures by leading / famous people in that field.

House of Cards.

It's fairly well known so maybe everyone is already aware, but it's incredibly easy to watch the US only shows. There are several browser addons that will do the job, Mediahint works for http://mediahint.com/install_chrome.html'>Chrome and https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/'>Firefox.

You don't need to do anything else. The same account works, just reload your browser, head over to Netflix via the usual link and there will be tonnes more content. It's a bit of a 'grey area' but I've been using it for a year or so without any problems, you're still paying them so no one seems to care.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I watch it on the PS3 so it's a bit more work and I haven't been bothered enough to do it yet. I think my router does static routing so it may actually be fairly easy.

Breaking Bad!

I've watched two or three episodes of Arrested Development, and I haven't been bowled over tbh.

I might give Firefly and Californication a go.

Â