Speculation: Nacer Chadli (FC Twente)

HalfTimePost

Aston Villa are ­targeting Belgium ­player Nacer Chadli as a new way of trying to keep Christian Benteke.

Villa have joined a host of clubs chasing FC Twente winger Chadli, who only has a year left to run on his contract.

And Villa hope that if they could sign Chadli it may help convince ­Benteke to stay at least another year.

Fulham, Tottenham, Liverpool and West Brom have also been tracking Chadli, who scored 16 goals for Twente last season.

Christian-Benteke-celebrates-scoring-a-pStaying power: Villa want Christian Benteke to stick around for another year

Getty

Although Chadli has played on the wing for Twente, Lambert wants a creative spark to play in the hole and would consider moving the 23-year-old inside.

Lambert may also need to start moving on ­unwanted high-earners Darren Bent, Shay ­Given and Stephen ­Ireland before ­launching a firm bid.

The Mirror

The journo, Matt Law, I think is a Villa fan. Not that it makes too much difference to the fact I believe this is bull.

Edit: Please don't put "Speculation" in title, use the tag instead, Ta

He isn't the fastest - still quick but not Gabby quick. He has a great shot and an eye for the spectacular. Scored a really cheeky chip against AZ Alkmaar earlier last season (at least I think it was him... was either him or Tadic). Very one footed, usually cuts in from the left hand side but can also play on the right and central too.

Would also like his team mate, the aforementioned Dusan Tadic

edit: It was indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzClKQnRk1A

Edited by adz.villa

Villa fan or not Matt Law is one of the worst for talking bull. Don't believe this at all.

Careful mate. If he talks a lot of bull he's probably on VT somewhere.

:) Yes - It's just like a pantomime on here. Can just hear all the VT members now shouting out to VillaAlex: "Behind You!" ;)  :) 

A bunch of people have mentioned this guy since the close of the season (villanwesty88 in particular if memory serves) and I mentioned him in this post.

He's certainly a good player. I'd best describe him as a trickier version of Agbonlahor. An adapted winger who is more a goalscorer than supplier. Where as Gabby relies on his pace and movement to beat a player, Chadli, whilst by no means slow, has a fair bit more on the ball trickery.

Whilst he can play in every position of the winger//attacking midfield roles, in this past season he has been playing exclusively on the left and cutting in on his right foot. This is exactly what Agbonlahor does for us currently and exactly what I expect Tonev to be rotated in to do too. I guess they could be after one more versatile attacking player but I would be surprised.

So whilst he certainly is a decent player and would likely adapt well to the premier league, I think with us already having a starter in his primary position (left wing) and having signed a guy already to likely rotate in that same position, I consider this signing unlikely. It would be a luxury rotation/depth transfer that we don't have the resources for. If he is bought in then I would guess it would be for two reasons: firstly to appease Benteke and secondly, to be adapted to play the central attacking midfield role. Personally, I'd rather have someone more accustomed to that position than Chadli but that's not to say the scouts haven't seen something in him which means he'd be more than capable of that role.

My guess is, with one year left on his contract, his agent is using our name to engineer a move to England by getting his player's name in our press. I think he had been linked with Fulham and Ajax earlier this month.

Wes? - Please  give us your recommendation. Is this guy the dog's?  

I couldn't find out if he had dogs. I would guess he is a cat person.

Edited by Wes

Dempsey last year so we can get tekkers

Don't think that was a smoke screen. We had a bid accepted by Fulham but Dempsey rejected us. I fully believe we would have had Dempsey and Benteke in our squad last season if Dempsey wasn't so set on champions league football which he didn't get anyway. 

Agree 'Czechlad.'

My argument against the Dempsey bid being a smokescreen has always been what if Dempsey had said yes. Our club and manager would have then looked foolish in retracting the bid.

We also seem to be linked to several AM this window so while its not absolute proof that we did want Dempsey last season it may be a pointer towards it.

Â