Glastonbury 2013

coda

Caught most of the Of Monsters and Men showing earlier today, that made my day.

It's been a slow day.

Something odd about seeing The XX as a headline act mind - I loved the first album, but something about their set just seems odd - something about their music just doesn't lend it to "headlining".

Edit - Figured out what it was that this reminds me of - keep thinking I'm watching someone redo Bill Bailey's sketch about Portishead composing the National Anthem...

Edited by CardiffGreens

Edit - Figured out what it was that this reminds me of - keep thinking I'm watching someone redo Bill Bailey's sketch about Portishead composing the National Anthem...

I like the sound of that :mrgreen:

Got to disagree with earlier post here - Public Image Limited's set was great. A little biased as a teenage Pistols' fan and listening to them live in a dank Shoreditch basement for the first time, but I think I finally "got" them after that show.

Didn't tune into the XX. I was so disappointed with the second album I kind of didn't bother...

Dont understand the xx, just awful, switched over to bbc2 and bloody mumford and sons. Bring on the football..

The XX first album is great, comes from a lineage that goes back to the Young Marble Giants, second album is average though, I think their bubbles burst already

Didn't catch Nick Cave...I think I've been put off by the album this year which I didn't dig too much

I liked the new album but the set today was more a greatest hits package anyway inc tupelo, Right Red Hand etc

Oh missed them, shame.

Dont understand the xx, just awful, switched over to bbc2 and bloody mumford and sons. Bring on the football..

The XX first album is great, comes from a lineage that goes back to the Young Marble Giants, second album is average though, I think their bubbles burst already

I liked the new album but the set today was more a greatest hits package anyway inc tupelo, Right Red Hand etc

shame I forgot the xx were on. Quite like them. Yes I think the first album was better. The 2nd one is even more minimalistic but still like it.

Oh my god. PiL's cover of Leftfield's Open Up is amazing

Not really a cover though is it, dunno what you'd all it though. Bloke who sings original does song with different band, its no different to him singing Anarchy with PiL (Which I've seen him do). HaHa I think we'e hit upon a thing that needs a name but hasn't got one :mrgreen:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds were the undoubted band of the festival. I enjoyed Dinosur Jr on Friday, but then I always do! New discovery of the weekend, Goat. Will be investing in their latest (possibly first?) album at some point this week.

Edited by dAVe80

Not really a cover though is it, dunno what you'd all it though. Bloke who sings original does song with different band, its no different to him singing Anarchy with PiL (Which I've seen him do). HaHa I think we'e hit upon a thing that needs a name but hasn't got one :mrgreen:

You know, I thought someone might say that.

Original - Leftfield feat. John Lydon - Open Up

Last night - PiL - Open Up

That's a cover by my book!

You know, I thought someone might say that.

Original - Leftfield feat. John Lydon - Open Up

Last night - PiL - Open Up

That's a cover by my book!

Nah can't be a cover if its by the original vocalist and in this case the lyricist too

Does Paul McCartney cover Beatles songs?

Do Pil indeed cover Anarchy in the UK?

Many years ago, in the heyday of Usenet newsgroups there was a huge argument about the definition of "cover version". There was some guy on there who used to get really stroppy whenever anybody used the term as we are doing here.

His argument was that "cover version" specifically referred to several versions of a song being released simultaneously by different artists - this used to happen a lot in the 1950s.

According to him, the correct term for what we are talking about is a "remake". I suppose a live performance of a song would just be, er... a performance.

Common usage has proved otherwise, I think.

Â