Never Been To Villa Park?

b23avfc

I remember around 2006 when London was given the Olympics, there was talk from Randy that the North Stand would be done up and that it would be joined to the Witton and the gap would be filled in.Obviously that didn't happen, they could at least give it a jet wash lol.

I remember around 2006 when London was given the Olympics, there was talk from Randy that the North Stand would be done up and that it would be joined to the Witton and the gap would be filled in.Obviously that didn't happen, they could at least give it a jet wash lol.

Actually what happened is that we gave up the chance to host some Olympic matches as 'ground developments' where planned in the summer of 2012. Which then didn't happen as we averaged 33,000 under McClueless so I guess the board didn't want the ground to have 20,000 empty seats instead of the 10,000 we were regularly getting.

It would have been nice for them to of done it though, 4 or 5 games a season Villa Park could get 48, 000. Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Birmingham City games.

And the season under Mcleish was the same year as the Olympics and the initial plan of stadium investment, so I'm pretty sure the plug would of been pulled before that.

Actually what happened is that we gave up the chance to host some Olympic matches as 'ground developments' where planned in the summer of 2012. Which then didn't happen as we averaged 33,000 under McClueless so I guess the board didn't want the ground to have 20,000 empty seats instead of the 10,000 we were regularly getting.

That's not the truth and Voinjama has already pointed out one flaw.

• Like 1

Well it probably just confirmed it, the crowds did drop from over 40,000 under MON's 2nd  season when the club did sound quite serious about a new north stand, and it went steadily downwards to the car crash season of 11-12.  It was the same time as the recession but I think Lerner realised that Villa do not have quite the fanbase for a 50,000 stadium so its been shelved. Had England won the 2018 world cup bid it might have been a different story though.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Well it probably just confirmed it, the crowds did drop from over 40,000 under MON's 2nd  season when the club did sound quite serious about a new north stand, and it went steadily downwards to the car crash season of 11-12.  It was the same time as the recession but I think Lerner realised that Villa do not have quite the fanbase for a 50,000 stadium so its been shelved. Had England won the 2018 world cup bid it might have been a different story though.

The Olympic football games were turned down because there was nothing in it for the club (margins were that tight it was possible to actually lose money for the games) AND because they could have impinged on ground preparation for the new season - from minor issues such as new screens and summer ground maintenance/pitch replacement to possible ground improvements. I suspect that if there was a decent profit to be made OR the additional games would not have had a possible impact on preparing Villa Park for the new season, we may have hosted.

I agree that a successful 2018 World Cup bid might have changed things. The recession combined with some very average football prevented our decent fanbase from visiting Villa Park regularly in the 40,000 plus numbers Randy would have been looking for. Even sell-outs would tell a story - were there thousands of enquiries turned down after selling out or just a few hundred?

If the Olympic football tournament was so terrible why did Old Trafford, St James and the Millennium stadium host matches? Why did Villa argee to have the matches from the bidding process onwards until about a year before it started? Its only a little thing in the great scheme of things but I still think it was a shame we pulled out.  The only time I have seen lots of people literally locked out of Villa was when we were rebuidling the Trinity in 2000. If I remember we were playing Spurs. We stupidly waited to get the tickets on the day and were sold out. A few of us tried to watch it from Aston Park and then gave up at half time!

Nobody said the Olympic football tournament was terrible, just that after reviewing the detailed figures available closer to the tournament, a decision was made that hosting wasn't worth it. Without access to the facts and precise figures, we can only guess at why other clubs/grounds were happier to host. Greater capacity allowing an element of profit for the larger grounds? Prestige outwaying the 'hassle factor' for chairmen/owners of the smaller grounds?

Nobody said the Olympic football tournament was terrible, just that after reviewing the detailed figures available closer to the tournament, a decision was made that hosting wasn't worth it. Without access to the facts and precise figures, we can only guess at why other clubs/grounds were happier to host. Greater capacity allowing an element of profit for the larger grounds? Prestige outwaying the 'hassle factor' for chairmen/owners of the smaller grounds?

You might be right, but for PR it wasn't great for Birmingham was it? The greatest show on earth and we couldn't be arsed in playing a part?  At least they have VP down for the Rugby World Cup, which is a much bigger event than Olympic footy I guess.

You might be right, but for PR it wasn't great for Birmingham was it? The greatest show on earth and we couldn't be arsed in playing a part?  At least they have VP down for the Rugby World Cup, which is a much bigger event than Olympic footy I guess.

Please don't use 'the greatest show on earth' tag for Olympic football; it really isn't! Also, do you honestly believe there was PR damage for Villa/the city or any PR gain for the likes of Coventry?

Â