Blunders at work

AndyC

RTO is return to operation. It's the time it takes between a failure and everything working again.

RPO is recovery point objective. It's the time you can go without losing data.

Both standard accepted terms in business continuity.

• Like 1

RTO is return to operation. It's the time it takes between a failure and everything working again.

There is often some debate as to exact meaning of the phrases. Within a lot of Business Continuity sector RTO is often defined as Recovery Time Objective (which in reality is what you have said - so I think of both as being very valid) and RPO is Recovery Point Objective.

Both are standard metrics and terms that are used in Business Continuity and should always be considered for any data

Not considering either can be one of the biggest blunders ever in IT - in my opinion of course :)

Edited by drat01

There is often some debate as to exact meaning of the phrases. Within a lot of Business Continuity sector RTO is often defined as Recovery Time Objective (which in reality is what you have said - so I think of both as being very valid) and RPO is Recovery Point Objective.

Both are standard metrics and terms that are used in Business Continuity and should always be considered for any data

meh RPO will always be  Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

• Like 1

Well that's just cleared up my plain english post then.

"the time it takes between a failure and everything working again" is what I would use in that context. The very fact that in Business Continuity the term RPO can be confused with RTO illustrates my point - which was that gobbledigookbusinessdrivel should be avoided where possible.

• Like 1

then quick as a flash said, and this lady would like the other half.

tumblr_motco2yPGP1rnhusoo1_250.gif

For his quick wit and for you telling the tale today :)

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

In my last job I was the DBA for a 4TB database of a rolling last 30 days of 6 million insurance quotes a day (it was the back end web service for all the price comparison sites to get their quotes from).

It was a circular replicated master-master cluster so any queries other than selects will get run the same on the other server.

There was some corruption in one of the nodes' copy of the database so I had the bright idea to just direct all traffic to the good node and run a mysqldump on the bad node pulling good data from the good node.

The first bit a mysqldump does is DROP TABLE.. which then gets replicated to the other node..

Database screwed while 300 quotes a second are coming in. Worst bit was there was no backup as the RTO is so long as to be unworkable.

So no one could retrieve any quotes from any of the places like confused, gocompare etc because I screwed the database. It gradually filled back up obviously.

I won't do that again!

Can I reword your post for you?

"I was in charge of a big database that handled quotes for comparison websites. It broke a bit, and I decided to fix it but completely busted it."

Use of master-master replication is fine for talking to clients and developers, but I think you need to know your general audience; in this case a load of football fans. I can forgive the real terminology of nodes, replication etc. but in our line of work (which will be similar to yours) the use of "RTO" is regarded as "BusinessSpeak 2.0-prat-talk"

I thought Master-Master Replication meant that there would be two threads about the Portuguese league ;)

Â