Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The new Adam Curtis film 'HyperNormalisation' is absolutely amazing. I know it's a tough ask, but you should find three hours of your life for it. It's on the BBC iplayer.

Never understood why such things get tucked away in the corner where nobody will see them. Bitter Lake was such a great piece of work that should have got a much bigger audience.

It's almost like the media don't really want us to learn (but then, I guess, they wouldn't have made it in the first place).

Thanks for the tip-off though :thumb:

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 17:58, OutByEaster? said:

The new Adam Curtis film 'HyperNormalisation' is absolutely amazing. I know it's a tough ask, but you should find three hours of your life for it. It's on the BBC iplayer.

The 1st Adam Curtis film I watched. Absolutely fantastic even though it's over 10 years old.

Sigmund Freud's nephew moves to Madison Avenue and creates modern PR.

His theory: People will buy stuff they don't need once you manufacture a fake, feeling of emptiness within them. Then tell them they can fill it with a product. His theories are still in extremely effective use today.

• Like 2

Not seen that one. I've watched "The Mayfair Set" by him over the last few weeks which I've really enjoyed, there's a massive amount of modern history which seems to go completed unnoticed and completely unreported. I'm always really surprised by how much we don't know about the world we live in.

• 1 month later...

Watched a really good documentary about Beitar Jerusalem FC on BBC Four last night. A section of their fans dubbed themselves the most racist fans in Israel, and organised a boycott of games, when they signed two Muslim players. Well worth a watch on iPlayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched "Amy" (Winehouse) last night, by the guy who made Senna, so I was expecting big things...bit of a letdown. Probably cuz I knew the ins and outs already. Still pisses me off how her father and Blake Fielder were such utter scumbags, and just used her as an ATM machine. She deserved better.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Watched "Amy" (Winehouse) last night, by the guy who made Senna, so I was expecting big things...bit of a letdown. Probably cuz I knew the ins and outs already. Still pisses me off how her father and Blake Fielder were such utter scumbags, and just used her as an ATM machine. She deserved better.

Kind of expect it from her fella but not from her own dad.

On 11/5/2016 at 01:30, TheAuthority said:

The 1st Adam Curtis film I watched. Absolutely fantastic even though it's over 10 years old.

Sigmund Freud's nephew moves to Madison Avenue and creates modern PR.

His theory: People will buy stuff they don't need once you manufacture a fake, feeling of emptiness within them. Then tell them they can fill it with a product. His theories are still in extremely effective use today.

Brilliant documentary. This should be taught in schools. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There were 3 documentaries on BBC last year all about the Chinese New Year called ''The Worlds Biggest Celebration"

Although they are no longer on the BBC iPlayerI have managed to find them on dailymotion although they have Chinese subtitles they are well worth a watch as they give an insight into China and some of its cultures. Very fascinating.

Although a year old still very apt give its Chinese New Year right now.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Enjoy.....

There's a really good Chinese New Year documentary called last train home, it's about how over 100m people working in the cities go back home for the week, it explores how people do which is utter madness and also the overall migration of people from the countryside in to China's expanding cities

On 05/12/2016 at 11:22, dAVe80 said:

Watched a really good documentary about Beitar Jerusalem FC on BBC Four last night. A section of their fans dubbed themselves the most racist fans in Israel, and organised a boycott of games, when they signed two Muslim players. Well worth a watch on iPlayer.

I have a habit of picking up a football shirt of a local team whenever I visit a new country. I've got an absolutely beautiful Beitar shirt from about 8 years ago when I was in Jerusalem. Took me a while to work out that it's probably not the best shirt to wear out.

• Like 1

All this Mayhem (2014). Phenomenal doc on Netflix UK right now about two insane Australian skateboarding brothers. Cant say too much without spoiling it if you dont know the story. Great watch - even for someone not into skateboarding like myself

• Like 3

Â