Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Posts in General Chat reminded me that i saw this one a few days ago. I have followed Hooligans TV for a few years out of curiosity on what is going in the eastern european football scene. I would say that the guy commenting that the Swedish firms are the most right wing are wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2018 at 18:38, NoelVilla said:

Posts in General Chat reminded me that i saw this one a few days ago. I have followed Hooligans TV for a few years out of curiosity on what is going in the eastern european football scene. I would say that the guy commenting that the Swedish firms are the most right wing are wrong. 

Good excuse for a mass cull right there.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 23:20, VILLAMARV said:

Watching some of the same arguments about things getting better being made back in the 60's as you can still hear today is rather grounding.

What an amazing film.

Brilliant documentary. James Baldwin, intellectually, could hold his own with anyone.

On 13/02/2018 at 13:48, TheAuthority said:

Don't want to derail the thread but I've never been a fan. Lennon had some talent as a songwriter but they weren't good instrumentalists. (Did you read the Quincy Jones article Xann's posted in another thread? He didn't have a good word to say about them.)

I think it was all about right place at the right time which is after all pretty much the entire pop industry since the Beatles. 

I don't think Quincy Jones has a good word for anyone. Not these days, anyway.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just watched this.

Bloody hell.

My vegetarianism draws ever closer. 

The health benefits are fantastic too.

The dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry and they both contribute untold amounts of damage to the environment.
Come on over to the Vegan side!

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The health benefits are fantastic too.

The dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry and they both contribute untold amounts of damage to the environment.
Come on over to the Vegan side!

I have a good friend who is Vegan and I genuinely do admire it. I just don't think I could ever go completely Vegan for my sanity in terms of food. I don't know what I would eat :D

I'm going to jump to Vegetarianism first and see what happens from there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have a good friend who is Vegan and I genuinely do admire it. I just don't think I could ever go completely Vegan for my sanity in terms of food. I don't know what I would eat :D

I'm going to jump to Vegetarianism first and see what happens from there.

I might start a thread about this and get the opinions of other veggies, save clogging this one up.

• 1 month later...

One_Night_in_Turin_theatrical_release_po

Great documentary from a tournament I adored. My first World Cup and still my favourite. 

Simpler and better times as a football fan and a reminder of what a gentleman Bobby Robson was.

The press were scum back then and still are today! 

• Like 4

Presunto Culpable.

"Two young Mexican attorneys attempt to exonerate a wrongly convicted man by making a documentary. In the process, they expose the contradictions of a judicial system that presumes suspects guilty until proven innocent."

There's a few good documentaries, I'm currently drawing blanks though. I'll be back.

On 26/01/2018 at 09:15, maqroll said:

Essential viewing-

i_am_not_your_negro-878035432-large.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Baldwin is highly intelligent and wonderfully articulate.

To give a brief review, I found it to be slow and not very entertaining. It was about sending a message and provoking thought, whilst telling a story.

Here's an example of the message sent, quite profound, I thought:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing is changed until it is faced."

"The question you got to ask yourself, the white population of this country has got to ask itself, is why it was necessary to have a nigger in the first place.
'Cause I'm not a nigger, I'm a man. But if you think I'm a nigger, means you need it, and you gotta find out why. The future of the country depends on that."

Edited by A'Villan

• 1 month later...

Not sure It's ever been mentioned before but the news of Ron Saunders dementia reminded me of this documentary I saw a while back. Alive Inside.

MV5BODQ3Mzc3NzUwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMx

Basically a guy goes into some care homes in the US and meets some Alzheimer sufferers armed with some ipods.....

If like me, you've experienced elderly relatives and friends suffering from dementia in their latter years it may strike a similar nerve as it did with me, but the underlying premise of this film is so amazingly uplifting and heartwarming.

• Like 1

Â