Jed Steer

samjp26

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Approaching nearly 10 years?

wow he has witnessed a lot here..

he was signed under Lambert wasnt he?

I remember him being touted as a high potential young keeper, how time flies!

What’s the deal with Jed? Is he 4th choice keeper now? Always seems like a top pro but just wondering what he gets out of being so far down the pecking order when there’s a useful player there at Championship level

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

What’s the deal with Jed? Is he 4th choice keeper now? Always seems like a top pro but just wondering what he gets out of being so far down the pecking order when there’s a useful player there at Championship level

He seems to pick up horrific injuries constantly, he would be a decent championship level keeper if he could remain fit.

Doubt he will get a new contract, it expires in June.

Would also explain the appearance of sanisalo on our bench for several games, maybe getting him used to 1st team squad, large crowds and the intensity of premier league games.

Out of all the Lambert signings, I wouldnt have thought he would be here a decade on! Tbf to him he was really good for us in the championship and I remember how good he was on that 10 game streak for us, especially saving 2 pens against west brom to take us to wembley! He was unlucky not to get the opportunity to be our number 1 in our first season back imo.

I can't help but feel for him. His body has not let him develop as it should have. When he's played he's looked very capable and made some great saves I can still recall.

In a just world he wouldn't be earning just 10k(perhaps) but 40k and playing every week.

It's down to him for me, his body won't let him be a No.1. I'd give him a deal as a 3 and on the basis he sounds like a top professional and fully respected member of the GK union.

• Like 2

Yeah think he's been finished for a while now. He can do a job at Championship level, he's clearly keen to get out and play games with the amount of loans we've sent him on over the seasons. But there aren't any professional clubs around who would take on a sick note as their first choice unless their ability is far above any alternative they could hire, which would push him down into league 1/2. Your first choice needs to be ready to play week-in week-out and your second choice needs to be dependable and safe imo. He's neither unfortunately.

Nothing against the guy, he's still had a good career and written his name into our history. 

• 1 month later...

https://theathletic.com/4530863/2023/05/18/jed-steer-aston-villa-contract/?source=emp_shared_article

Aston Villa cult hero Jed Steer is set to leave the club after nearly a decade.

The 30-year-old is out of contract in June and has not been offered a new deal.

It means that Steer, who was inspirational in the 2018-19 promotion-winning season, will be looking for a new challenge in the months ahead.

If Gregg is to believed (and on this case I think he's likely on the money), Jed's time at Villa is coming to a close. Ten years, fantastic memories from that promotion run. Really sad that his injuries prevented him olaying much since we came up, he'd have been a much more capable second choice if available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

https://theathletic.com/4530863/2023/05/18/jed-steer-aston-villa-contract/?source=emp_shared_article

If Gregg is to believed (and on this case I think he's likely on the money), Jed's time at Villa is coming to a close. Ten years, fantastic memories from that promotion run. Really sad that his injuries prevented him olaying much since we came up, he'd have been a much more capable second choice if available. 

I’m not convinced he would’ve, he was decent in that run in, to get us promoted but I never felt he was prem quality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

% of which is attributable to Steer for us getting promoted?

I'm willing to say Jed Steer saved Aston Villa...

Impossible to say. 

When I think of that promotion season, the players that immediately come to mind are (in position order) Steer, Mings, McGinn, Grealish and Abraham.

There’s a few after that who deserve a special mention (Elmo, Hourihane, El Ghazi). In truth, I feel all the team have to take some credit.

But Steer is one of my standouts, in part because of how it all turned out. We went through Gollini, Johnstone, Nyland, Moreira, Kalinic and Bunn all standing between the sticks in the Championship while the keeper who would eventually prove to be THE successful number one is the guy who’s been there on the sidelines for years, or bombed out on loan, almost never getting a game for us. Quite possibly one of the most unlikely heroes we’ve ever had.

I don’t think we would be a premier league side without his contribution and if he is to depart I hope the club in some way acknowledges him at our final home game. He deserves a proper send off, he’s definitely earned it.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When I think of that promotion season, the players that immediately come to mind are (in position order) Steer, Mings, McGinn, Grealish and Abraham.

Bang on the money here. It's worth mentioning that when Mings came in we were elevated to a different level defensively, and none of us could understand the circumstances that led to Mings somehow not being a regular for PL Bournemouth. This was the kind of under the radar defensive signing that Manchester United used to pride themselves upon. But those penalty shoot out saves against our local rivals in such circumstances are worth a statue alone. History turns on such performances as Steer put in, no matter how short a time. Integral.

• Like 1

Â