Jed Steer

samjp26

3 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Yeah, said in the match thread he's started to come for it, changes his mind halfway there, tries to back up and just strands himself. Much like the backpass he could've dealt with the other week, can't be caught in two minds, either go or don't.

Same...  Some will still blame Tuanzebe though, because he's not our player...

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just didn't read them. Chelsea standard of taking bit higher than the West Brom players a few years back.

If he starts in FA cup you suspect Martinez will certainly be on the bench in future so that will be one lesson for the manager perhaps.

I think the first 3 went in the same spot. If he dives that side he probably saves them

Backup goalie sitting behind second string centre backs keeps European Champions at bay despite them bringing on newly signed £100 million striker, and yet the majority of comments are about the fact that he dived too early in the penalty shoot out.

I'd say VT is plumbing new depths but I've spent time in the AEG thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Backup goalie sitting behind second string centre backs keeps European Champions at bay despite them bringing on newly signed £100 million striker, and yet the majority of comments are about the fact that he dived too early in the penalty shoot out.

I'd say VT is plumbing new depths but I've spent time in the AEG thread.

Most comments I've seen from neutrals have been that he was shit in the shoot-out too, it's far from just a VT thing, he was just a bit shit last night and unfortunately showed that he isn't a Premier League standard GK.

I don't think he could have punched the cross for the chelsea goal. It's a great ball in and he's never getting there. Maybe his positioning for the shot is affected by him considering coming and stopping, but i don't think he's saving it either

The only thing is that his thought about coming to punch affected the defenders and they were in two minds about whether to leave it. But he's not getting anywhere near the cross or the shot.

It's the creating indecision in the minds of defenders though that means he's not good enough for this level unfortunately

Edited by YLN

Big lol at people claiming he is shit as if being a top half championship level keeper is anything to be embarrassed by. We need to improve our back up keeper position obviously but Steer is far far far from being a ‘shit’ goalie. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, YLN said:

I don't think he could have punched the cross for the chelsea goal. It's a great ball in and he's never getting there. Maybe his positioning for the shot is affected by him considering coming and stopping, but i don't think he's saving it either

The only thing is that his thought about coming to punch affected the defenders and they were in two minds about whether to leave it. But he's not getting anywhere near the cross or the shot.

It's the creating indecision in the minds of defenders though that means he's not good enough for this level unfortunately

I agree the hesitation may have affected the defenders, but he absolutely could have claimed it or punched the ball away. Look at his initial positioning compared to where Werner's header was. You don't think he could have made it to the edge of the 6yard box in two seconds? Let's not forget that although it was a great cross, it's not like it was whipped in at pace.

k3lhEEZ.png

• Like 1

Just watched back the shootout. To be fair, he wasn't really diving that early, it just looked comical because of the manner of the dives and the fact they were to the wrong side. He wasn't far off saving James' pen and in real time I thought he was going to get there.

12 minutes ago, a-k said:

I agree the hesitation may have affected the defenders, but he absolutely could have claimed it or punched the ball away. Look at his initial positioning compared to where Werner's header was. You don't think he could have made it to the edge of the 6yard box in two seconds? Let's not forget that although it was a great cross, it's not like it was whipped in at pace.

k3lhEEZ.png

Are you saying you think it took two seconds for the ball to travel from James' foot to the six yard box? 

You don't come for those. The cross never enters the six yard box, and a moment before, it was at the penalty spot. If it is crossed from the wing then yeah the six yard box is somewhere the keeper should be punching, but not from where the cross came here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

Are you saying you think it took two seconds for the ball to travel from James' foot to the six yard box? 

You don't come for those. The cross never enters the six yard box, and a moment before, it was at the penalty spot. If it is crossed from the wing then yeah the six yard box is somewhere the keeper should be punching, but not from where the cross came here

I get through almost two Mississippis from the time it leaves James' foot until it Werner heads it, so yes, thereabouts.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

I get through almost two Mississippis from the time it leaves James' foot until it Werner heads it, so yes, thereabouts.

I watched it back. You're right. I thought seconds were shorter

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Dont get this. Thought we got Olsen so Steer could be 3rd choice and Sinisalo could go out on loan.

I'm guessing that Steer wants to play football again. Wouldnt be much chance being a third choice behind Martinez and Olsen. He's 29 now.

Â