Jed Steer

samjp26

I do find it funny how norwich do their business compared to us, they're always desperate to point out how much bigger and better they are but they really show their true small time colours when stuff like this happens :D

Would you get someone at villa as high up as mcnally doing all his talking and business on twitter like a 16 year old girl? 

• Like 1

I do find it funny how norwich do their business compared to us, they're always desperate to point out how much bigger and better they are but they really show their true small time colours when stuff like this happens :D

Would you get someone at villa as high up as mcnally doing all his talking and business on twitter like a 16 year old girl?

I guess he wants to keep the fans in the loop, very amateur though especially when we haven't even made an announcement etc.

The fact they're pissed off means they must rate him though which is good.

God Norwich fans must hate us!

If you look at the tweet its definitely more bitter than keeping fans in the loop. Its classless and unprofessional, this is a premierleague club acting like this...i wouldnt even expect that from a league 2 team tbh.

He makes it sound like were about to pay them 5m compensation :D

• Like 1

If you look at the tweet its definitely more bitter than keeping fans in the loop. Its classless and unprofessional, this is a premierleague club acting like this...i wouldnt even expect that from a league 2 team tbh.

I do question whether they would seek this compensation if it wasn't for the fact it was Lambert signing him for us.

Oh well :D

I do question whether they would seek this compensation if it wasn't for the fact it was Lambert signing him for us.

Oh well :D

Well we'd have to pay it regardless but yea, who cares let them keep acting like little babies. Crying when gabby smashed in the winner ;)

Here's a very interesting read on the potential of our new signing. Not sure how you do links so I have simply cut & pasted it here. Yet another positive step by Paul Lambert it would appear. Enjoy.

Aston Villa have completed the signing of Jed Steer from Norwich City.

Jed Steer might not be a name known to many football fans, but he should be a name to note down, for he could turn out to be the next Joe Hart.

It was announced on Wednesday evening that Aston Villa would snap up Steer on July 1 when his contract at Norwich City runs out.

Steer is a young man with an impressive CV, who at first glance it appears as though Villa have picked up an absolute bargain.

Just 20-years-old, the goalkeeper has been involved in the England set up since 2007, from the under-16s through to the under-19s.

He has already played league football on loan at Yeovil and Cambridge United, experience which he will have found character building as well as hugely beneficial lessons on the pitch.

But if there is one reason to really feel confident about this signing, it is Paul Lambert.

Lambert of course arrived from Norwich City last summer, in acrimonious circumstances, and this signing will no doubt have not improved relationships between the Scotsman and his former employers in Norfolk.

Steer is a player who Lambert has observed at close quarters, through the ranks at Norwich, and even saw enough talent in him to hand him his first team debut in the FA Cup in 2012.

Chris Hughton didn't give him any such opportunities beyond the under-21 team last season, so for Steer the chance to join up again with Lambert was probably a bit of a no-brainer.

He will have a job on his hands to displace last season's player of the year Brad Guzan in goal, but Steer provides an interesting option for the future.

Paul Lambert has been proved right in several of his low-profile signings already, and with talented English goalkeepers scarce, this may prove to be one of the shrewdest deals of the lot in years to come.

Villa fans simply have to trust Lambert, in what he has seen of the player close hand, and believe he feels he has brought a real gem to the club.

I like to think I am balanced about these things. We all know how these tribunals systems work. I personally think that an up front transfer fee of around £400/500k with some with add ons taking the deal up to around £1 million or so if he performs would be par for the course. He has got a lot of potential but ultimately he has played a handful of senior games for Norwich so it is just that at the moment - potential. John Bostock for instance was meant to be the next big thing when Spurs thought they had fleeced Palace at tribunal. But as things have transpired Palace got the best of the deal. Hence why it is unrealistic to be demanding millions for Steer. It just doesn't make sense.

I will be very interested to see where this leaves Shay Given. I presume Steer has come to be Number 2 keeper and place serious pressure on Guzan. Otherwise he is no better off than he was at Norwich (except perhaps financially). As an outsider looking in Given may well be drawing around £2 million a year out of Villa for the next 3 years for contributing absolutely nothing.

As for McNally I can see why he grates on Villa fans after a while. Some of his twitter comments can be confrontational and perhaps even come across as bitter. Opinions will differ on how he handled the whole Lambert affair. I don't think anyone can say he "won" or "lost" that particular fight. Ultimately once a manager or player decides he wants to go then that is it and no one knows exactly what the financial settlement was. Personally I haven't got a bad word to say about him. As a fan I am delighted to see someone who is actively coming out in public and fighting my club's corner. We were an absolute shambles when he took the CEO role. He has shaken the club up from top to bottom and has played a massive hand in making us a debt free Premiership Club. That is a job well done by anyone's standards.

Edited by Cambridge_Yellow
  • Like 1

I like to think I am balanced about these things. We all know how these tribunals systems work. I personally think that an up front transfer fee of around £400/500k with some with add ons taking the deal up to around £1 million or so if he performs would be par for the course. He has got a lot of potential but ultimately he has played a handful of senior games for Norwich so it is just that at the moment - potential. John Bostock for instance was meant to be the next big thing when Spurs thought they had fleeced Palace at tribunal. But as things have transpired Palace got the best of the deal. Hence why it is unrealistic to be demanding millions for Steer. It just doesn't make sense.

I will be very interested to see where this leaves Shay Given. I presume Steer has come to be Number 2 keeper and place serious pressure on Guzan. Otherwise he is no better off than he was at Norwich (except perhaps financially). As an outsider looking in Given may well be drawing around £2 million a year out of Villa for the next 3 years for contributing absolutely nothing.

As for McNally I can see why he grates on Villa fans after a while. Some of his twitter comments can be confrontational and perhaps even come across as bitter. Opinions will differ on how he handled the whole Lambert affair. I don't think anyone can say he "won" or "lost" that particular fight. Ultimately once a manager or player decides he wants to go then that is it and no one knows exactly what the financial settlement was. Personally I haven't got a bad word to say about him. As a fan I am delighted to see someone who is actively coming out in public and fighting my club's corner. We were an absolute shambles when he took the CEO role. He has shaken the club up from top to bottom and has played a massive hand in making us a debt free Premiership Club. That is a job well done by anyone's standards.

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that no one can say whether `McNasty` won or lost over the Lambert affair?

He clearly lost................................Big Time!............................(IMO)

Edited by villa-revolution

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that no one can say whether `McNasty` won or lost over the Lambert affair?

He clearly lost................................Big Time!............................(IMO)

Apologies I don't want to hijack this thread. Should be about a very promising young keeper you have signed rather than something which happened a year ago. But I think ultimately I don't think he "lost" if that is the right word. Ultimately Lambert had decided he was off. As you have found with Milner, Downing and Young etc once that happens there is very little you can do about it. It doesn't matter how good you are as a manager or CEO. So it is about getting the best price possible for him (something which to the best of my knowledge is not in the public domain). So I don't really know how you can judge the outcome. The only other way you can potentially judge who "won" is the league position. But again is that a fair assessment? Not really for me. Lambert inherited a complete rabble of a squad and has done very well to improve it. Hughton also did well to carry on where Lambert left off and avoid the second season issues which some newly promoted side have.

I don't think anyone (apart from the odd moron) from Norwich is getting delusions of grandeur as some on this thread have said. In the grand scheme of things Norwich are a relatively small club. We have a 27,000 stadium and have won no significant honours in our history. But there is a lot of potential here. There is no reason why the club can't attract 30,000 crowds and compete regularly in the Premiership. So I applaud McNally for fighting the club's corner as I do think we've sold ourselves short over the years.

I like Villa as a club and I enjoyed visiting Villa park as an away supporter last year. It was a good game and the supporters were welcoming. I take an interest in Lambert still because we will always be indebted to him for what he achieved at Norwich and I feel your and your paths will continue to cross while both are in the same league and Lambert is at the helm. The signing of Steer and the coaches goes to show this.

Edited by Cambridge_Yellow

Apologies I don't want to hijack this thread. Should be about a very promising young keeper you have signed rather than something which happened a year ago. But I think ultimately I don't think he "lost" if that is the right word. Ultimately Lambert had decided he was off. As you have found with Milner, Downing and Young etc once that happens there is very little you can do about it. It doesn't matter how good you are as a manager or CEO. So it is about getting the best price possible for him (something which to the best of my knowledge is not in the public domain). So I don't really know how you can judge the outcome. The only other way you can potentially judge who "won" is the league position. But again is that a fair assessment? Not really for me. Lambert inherited a complete rabble of a squad and has done very well to improve it. Hughton also did well to carry on where Lambert left off and avoid the second season issues which some newly promoted side have.

I don't think anyone (apart from the odd moron) from Norwich is getting delusions of grandeur as some on this thread have said. In the grand scheme of things Norwich are a relatively small club. We have a 27,000 stadium and have won no significant honours in our history. But there is a lot of potential here. There is no reason why the club can't attract 30,000 crowds and compete regularly in the Premiership. So I applaud McNally for fighting the club's corner as I do think we've sold ourselves short over the years.

I like Villa as a club and I enjoyed visiting Villa park as an away supporter last year. It was a good game and the supporters were welcoming. I take an interest in Lambert still because we will always be indebted to him for what he achieved at Norwich and I feel your and your paths will continue to cross while both are in the same league and Lambert is at the helm. The signing of Steer and the coaches goes to show this.

Cambridge-yellow. I still stand by my original comment. We wanted Lambert, McNally wanted Lambert, we got Lambert, end of. Even in your own words, "ultimately Lambert was off"

I agree McNally, pragmatically, still manipulated & sought as much damage limitation via seeking adequate compensation & trying to tarnish Lambert via the local media etc etc to get the best deal in the circumstances from the wreckage. Some might call it sour grapes?

Anyway, in a partial compromise,Norwich paid Lambert what he was due, we paid Norwich what they were due but ultimately we got Lambert. That was the prize at stake, that is what we were both battling for, doesn't matter which way round you try to dress it up. It really is the bottom line, so McNally ultimately lost. Everything else is just a sideshow & an attempt to safe face.

Anyway, I like Norwich, I like their fans (The Chirpy Canary's as a good friend of mine affectionately calls them & this delightful fellow resides less than a mile away from me & we often have many a footballing conversation over the phone about the fortunes of my beloved Villa & his beloved Norwich.

Finally, I also suspect that your deep down answer to the following question which I hope you will answer truthfully & honestly even if only to yourself could prove to be very revealing  as well as tantalising to your original opinion:

Who would you prefer to be managing Norwich City right now if it was solely down to your choice alone & nobody else? Hughton or Lambert?

Given the same choice for Villa (Lambert vHughton) I would take Lambert over Hughton every single time & I suspect so would the majority of Villa fans on this site too, who are grateful that we have secured his services,however I will let them confirm this here if they so desire as I can only really speak for myself & not presume I know every one else's opinion.

Over to you Mr Cambridge-Yellow :)

Edited by villa-revolution

Good debate this Revolution. Refreshing to not see the usual insult chucking you get on some forums.

I would still stand by the point that we don't know if McNally really lost or not. As I said he knew Lambert wanted to go so that was always going to be the case. Alex Ferguson was the best manager in the business but ultimately even he couldn't keep Cristanio Ronaldo when the lad wanted out. So I don't see it as a "loss" on McNally's part. His job was to react to the situation and get the best price he possible price he could for him and to get a solid replacement in. As I have said the financial package we don't know about so who knows whether his hardball tactics worked there or not. He certainly did get a solid replacement in. My evidence is that we finished in a higher position than last year. But clearly we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one which is fair enough.

As for who I would rather was managing us I am actually going to say Hughton. My reasoning for this is that Hughton is a safe pair of hands who I think will be at Norwich for a long time and could build a strong legacy here establishing us a Premier League team for a decent stretch. I can't see him being poached by a bigger club as I don't think he has the high profile that clubs higher up the food chain are looking for. So I think Norwich and Hughton are potentially an excellent fit for each other.  We were not particularly attractive last year but he appreciated that being gung ho was not a sustainable tactic and began to build us from the back. We have a very solid base to work on for this year. He is also very shrewd in the transfer market possessing a good knowledge of both the European and Domestic market (the statistics from last year shows that Norwich gained the most points per £ spent in the Premiership last season).

Lambert has the potential to go right to the very top of the game as a manager. Of that I have no doubt. I love his coaching and his methods. Following Norwich during his reign was a footballing education at times and made me realise how little I actually understand about a game I devote so much of my time to following The problem is of course that the way English football has become Lambert will not feel Villa is necessary the ceiling of his ambitions and will look to move on when the time comes. With all due respect for Villa's history and tradition the way the modern game is Villa don't really have a prayer of Champions League football unless some oil baron starts bankrolling the club. So you may be left as club to pick up the pieces and move on if he does decide to leave. But as shown by Villa's struggles since O'Neill's departure it isn't easy (I am not saying for a second O'Neill was the messiah- he overspent and then ran off crying like spoilt child when he couldn't have more but that's for another thread).

Back in your court Mr Revolution.

Cambridge-yellow? You are being hoisted by your own petard. let me show you why. This is from your earlier post, your words not mine.

The only other way you can potentially judge who "won" is the league position. But again is that a fair assessment? Not really for me. Lambert inherited a complete rabble of a squad and has done very well to improve it. Hughton also did well to carry on where Lambert left off and avoid the second season issues which some newly promoted side have.

So in your above opinion you say "Not really for me" but in your next post above you then use this same criteria to now defend your point. You are contradicting yourself.

As for choosing Hughton over Lambert I may be wrong but truthfully I think you are kidding yourself. I see & acknowledge your point about Hughton being a safe option & potentially a good overall  fit for Norwich & their ambitions. However, you also state that Hughton realised that being `Gung Ho` wasn't a sustainable tactic. It was for Lambo though wasn't it? Do you see the point?

You then go on to extol the virtues of Lambert stating that you think he has the potential to go right to the top of the game. Surely that is the potential you would wish for Norwich? Yes or no?

What happens regarding Lambert & his tenure at Villa Park remains to be seen & I would not be so naive as to imagine he will remain at Villa Park indefinitely because these things happen in football. If however, we are left to pick up the pieces, just as you have had to at Norwich, then that for me confirms my point about you kidding yourself about losing him & then possibly pretending in your heart of hearts that Hughton is better for Norwich than Lambert.

Please be aware also that I do not reply maliciously or to cause animosity, but do so to point out what I perceive as  harsh reality.

Truthfully I think you still pine for Lambo & are living in denial but you really will need to let it go. Also, if it helps, I hated the day Martin O' Neill walked out on us because the ensuing years more or less proved my fears. Those fears are now alleviated by the arrival of the new Messiah Paul Lambert. Norwich's loss is our gain & so back full circle to my original point Paul Lambert won & McNally lost.

The ball is now back in your court Mr Cambridge-Yellow.

V

Nobody in their right mind would take Hughton over Lambert, regardless of the reasoning. I'm not having that at all.

Despite that, I don't mind Norwich as a club or the fans we've had over here. You're welcome.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â