Weird existential stuff

darrenm

I often wondered about Cloning

as it would presumably be cloned from me as of now  , would that clone be exactly me  , my memories , my mannerisms , my bad spelling  .. and once my clone and I leave the lab  , we come to a junction and I decide to turn left  , would my clone also turn left , or would free will make him decide to turn right ..and which point arguably he is no longer me

Well, if she shall try this out, let's not make a clone of you. ;)

"All I want is the same as everyone:

Why am I here?

And for how long?

And I raise my head and stare,

Into the eyes of a stranger"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

my army of clones shall seek you out   ....

movie_papa.png

Already met them. :D

that's Robs Grandad isn't it ?

I know that these questions are at the very fundamentals of each religion

I don't know about this, Christianity doesn't offer any answers to this tbh, it's about salvation from sin rather than answering the questions above.

I still remember that when I was a kid I used to wonder why I hadn't been assigned to become God, or Jesus. It just seemed so unfair to me. Apart from the crucifixion bit that would have been great :P

• Like 1

I think the feeling that we get of being an entity is an illusion that comes from the fact that many individual parts contribute to form something that appears larger as a whole. You, as in your consciousness or experience of being, is not separate from the physical processes of your body and mind, but a result of them.

Not fully understanding how it works does not prove anything about how it works. Certainly there is no proof of an entity or system of entity assignment.

• Like 1

Not a Cartesian dualist then, Tarjei?

It would appear so, although I must admit I have not heard that term before. I.e. I don't think there is any way that our consciousness can be separated from our bodies.

We are biological machines that adhere to the laws of physics . Decisions that we make can be detected in the brain quite a while before we realise that we are making them .

That reminded me of a quote I heard in a youtube-talk with Dawkins and Krauss that CarewsEyebrowDesigner posted in the universe thread.

When Christopher Hitchens was asked "Do you believe in free will?" he answered: "Yes, I have no choice."

I'm my brain's interpretation of what I perceive around me and how I think I should act in response to what happens around me. In terms of whether or not the stuff that goes on around me is as I interpret or whether anything is as it seems is something I've decided to ignore. And just pretend that things are significant. I add value to things that are supposed to have value attached, for instance becoming a doctor, getting a girlfriend, being happy etc, even though when all is said and done, nothing I do, or anyone else does will matter. In 10,000 years if I made a person who is unhappy feel better about herself, or made my father proud, it won't matter a damn. And further into the future when humans have been locked into the history books as another failed mutation that did their best to pollute a lot of the earth while they were on it, what we have done will matter even less. Those that are dead will not look back on my achievements with any degree of nostalgia and they won't be impressed, or upset by what I have or haven't done, because they are dead and can't remember to breathe, never mind that I was an unmerciful word removed.

If I did not assign value to the things I do, I'd probably just spend all day watching the poker channel, wanking and eating those expensive German biscuits. Convincing myself that things matter is my greatest con

You sit on your own a lot, dont you!

I did have a couple (only a couple) of Honey ales last night and felt that in a moment of clarity I was able to articulate some thoughts on the matter. Apologies for the speeling and grammar, I was typing on my phone.

Anyway, I get what a lot of people are saying about yes it is you, you are your body and mind, you're on ongoing collection of thoughts etc. But I'm thinking of at a really deep level, how are you.. well, you?

How do you become the thoughts which are the uppermost part of your stack?

Think of a computer; it has the physical part which makes physical changes around it.

Then it has the virtual part. A collection of electrons which are in constant flux around the electrically conductive interconnects. This is the software.

Me sitting here and being self-aware is as absurd as that computer program being self-aware. It just doesn't scientifically make sense.

Â