Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

that is the same **** who said that their current lineup could tear any side in europe apart after the argie signings and the same person who has stated that hayden mullins is the best defensive midfielder in world football...

amongst several other delusions...

i know he is saying what some of us want to hear, but he really is not the man to "sell" reo coker to us...

as i said, only a few weeks ago, he was slating reo coker and stating that he wasnt good enough for the shammers, when they were being amazingly shit....

a few good games later and hes the bees knees again...

wait for him to leave and we will have signed one of their "rejects" according to the likes of this clearing in the woods....

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not overly concerned about us signing another forward. i reckon carew is going to have a BRILLIANT 2007/8 season. i really do.

i like what MON did in January - he built from the front with the philosophy of attack is the best form of defence, which did work towards the end of the season. however.......

great teams have a strong defence and midfield. we've all seen the great teams of the modern era win silverware because of a solid defence (ac milan, italy etc). my point is that i think MON bought a load of fire power (petrov, young, carew, maloney) to buy time and a place in the PL (i.e a short term fix). I really do feel now that he will start building from the back - if we sign a great DM then i relly feel we#ll start going places.... e.g Wembley.

i mark my words....

feedback anyone

Positives:-

Leadership:

- England Under 21: 18 appearances, 11 as captain. Undefeated as England Under 21 captain. (P11 W7 D4 L0)

- West Ham United: 142 appearance, 100+ as captain, 11 goals. Lead club to promotion and an FA Cup Final.

- Milton Keynes Dons: 64 appearances, 25+ as captain, 6 goals. Club's youngest ever captain.

Physical Attributes:

- Pace: Able to sprint away from most midfielders when he charges forward.

- Power: Very rarely loses a 50-50 with an opposition player when in possession.

- Stamina: Able to cover all of the pitch and then some. Outlasted Gerrard easily in the FA Cup Final.

Defensive Work:

- Tackling: 135 successful tackles made last season. With a success rate of 87.4%. World class statistics.

Fitness Record:

- Injuries: Only had 2 significant injuries at West Ham United.

Other:

- Intelligent: Very well spoken off the pitch during media interviews.

- Experience: Been Promoted, Faced Relegation, Played In Europe, Played In An FA Cup Final, Faced Administration and much more.

Negatives:-

Technique:

- Passing: Has a very limited range of passing, particularly when going forward.

- Shooting: Tends to snatch at shots, making his shooting accuracy very poor. Only 31.8% of shots on target.

- First Touch: Quite often his second touch is a tackle, which leads to counter attacks losing momentum.

Mental Attributes:

- Substitutions: Tends to get easily upset when he is substituted.

- Criticism: Does not respond well to criticism. Be it from the media or from the fans.

- Off Field Problems: Was the alleged 'leader' of the infamous "Baby Bentley" brigade at West Ham Untied.

Goals/Assists:

- Goal Scoring: Scores around 3-5 goals a season on average. Good for a Defensive Midfielder, not enough for a Box-to-Box Midfielder.

- Assists: Gets very few assists, as he plays very few "killer" balls. Needs lots of work on this.

A very raw player who really is the personification of a "rough diamond". Could be mouled into a really high class central midfield talent, or could never really improve technically and progressively get worse as he loses his physical attributes. I think it depends completely on who is his manager for the next 2 to 3 years and whether they have the managerial and coaching ability to turn him into the high class player he threatens to be.

Just read this about Reo-Coker on another site. Made for interesting reading IMO. Wouldn't mind him here, would still maybe prefer Barton though?!

NRC would add to what MON is building though - young, british and pacey. I like.

I really wouldn't like Barton. I was chatting about this to a Uni friend of mine (also a villa fan), and he was confident that MON could tame him. however, even if MON could tame him, it would detract from the rest of the team. and for what? someone who's good in the tackle and can make the odd pass....?

saying that, i'm sure if he started to piss any of the villa players off, carew would grab him by the neck whilst mellberg would **** him up, a la ljungberg

edit: PS i agree it's nice MON is building a british spine.....

from the mail on Sunday really looks like the papers think NRC is coming before Tuesday for 7 milion which i think is a good price,also Luke Young being looked at

Across the city, Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill looks set to start his summer spending spree this week by signing West Ham skipper Nigel Reo-Coker for £7m.

Reo-Coker put in a transfer request at Upton Park eight days ago and, as reported in last week’s Mail on Sunday, Villa were always favourites to land the 22-year-old midfielder. Villa have now opened talks with West Ham.

Villa are also in the chase for Charlton’s England defender Luke Young, although West Ham boss Alan Curbishley was Young’s manager at The Valley and is keen to reunite him with Scott Parker, who is arriving from Newcastle.

I would suggest that the first signing may be a player many of us have never heard of before.

What people need to remember is that ONeill likes to make he's 100% sure on any transfer. That's why he often seems 'rushed; signing people at the last minute, he wants to be sure of it.

There is more football to absorb this week, with European Qualifiers. I'd suggest he or one of his team may be at a couple of games making sure that the players he want really are what he wants before he attempts to sign them.

Well he better hurry up before other teams attempt to sign them if thats the case!!!

Bids don't just come out of the blue. It isn't Football Manager ;)

Clubs are sounded out about availability, players and agents are asked about whether they would be interested....otherwise putting together a bid wouls be a waste of time.

The transfer window isn't even open yet.

I would suggest that the first signing may be a player many of us have never heard of before.

Think you might be right. Its interesting scrolling through todays huge SportingLife 'Paper Talk' section and the only links the papers have come up with are 3 players we have been linked with many times already in NRC, Young and Bellamy. I know its only speculation but it seems the papers havn't a clue who out targets are - and i'm begining to think that neither do we. I'm predicting a few surprises.