Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

What's happening to Darren Bent? It's remarkably quiet around him. I'd have thought he'd be the player that people would be clamouring for this summer...

We have never been linked with him at all, only hopeful posts on here...

Who has been linked with him though? Strongly I mean, not just lazy journalism. Spurs? Not really. Liverpool? Appear to be looking at bigger fish.

I'd just love us to go for Darren Bent, but you're right, it's all just basless hoping at the moment.

Nobody has because he is on holiday and not doing anything until he gets back...

Which upon his return will join Spuds!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Let's recap on what we will most likely buy:

GK

RB

CB

D/CM

CF

Putting the 555 pages behind us, do you all think that's what MON is thinking at the moment?

GK

RB

CB

D/CM

CF

Putting the 555 pages behind us, do you all think that's what MON is thinking at the moment?

It is not far from the truth...

However...it might be someone more versatile that can play two places. It seems as we are looking for a central midfielder and a striker first...

GK

RB

CB

D/CM

CF

I think we may be looking for an attacking midfielder or more likely a winger as well, though I think MON may try and cover 7 or 8 positions with 5 or 6 acquisitions.

GK

RB

CB

D/CM

CF

It is not far from the truth...

However...it might be someone more versatile that can play two places. It seems as we are looking for a central midfielder and a striker first...

In your opinion, what is the position MON is prioritising? I think it's RB

i wish. but we haven't even been linked with any right backs yet. have we ?

but what decent RB's are available...? Unless we scour the rest of the world outside of the PL, I'm a little concerned

I think we missed a trick with not signing Jagelka (sic)

i wish. but we haven't even been linked with any right backs yet. have we ?

but what decent RB's are available...? Unless we scour the rest of the world outside of the PL, I'm a little concerned

I think we missed a trick with not signing Jagelka (sic)

you just said it yourself. We will scour the rest of the world and find a great right back. So no need to be concerned.

DARREN: I WANT TO JOIN JOL

By Jim Keat

DARREN BENT is set to turn his back on West Ham's £60,000-a-week offer so he can sign for deadly rivals Spurs.

Charlton's England striker is confident he can form a dream partnership with Dimitar Berbatov at White Hart Lane.

Bent admitted to a pal: "West Ham have offered me incredible money but I'm convinced Berbatov is staying at Spurs and I'd love to play alongside him.

"I believe we could form a great partnership."

Charlton want a staggering £20million for Bent and Spurs have offered £10m — £1m more than West Ham.

Blood

And that could see Hammers boss Alan Curbishley make a shock raid for Spurs striker Jermain Defoe — who handed in a transfer request at Upton Park 24 hours after their relegation in 2003.

A club insider said: "Alan is aware of the fans' bad blood towards Jermain but if they ask themselves will he improve the squad — the answer is ‘Yes'."

"He is a top class striker who did not play regularly for Spurs last season and is desperate for first-team football.

"The European Championships are coming up and Jermain will know he needs to be banging in the goals to be given a proper chance with England."

Defoe is behind Berbatov and Robbie Keane-recently handed a new five-year deal-in the White Hart Lane pecking order and will fall further behind with the impending arrival of Bent.

And Upton Park chairman Eggert Magnusson is ready to splash out on a top-class striker to partner Dean Ashton next season.

From the 'News of the World'.

Nothing to do with Villa but with GlastonSpurs links to both Bent and Defoe (supposedly Villa have made a bid), I thought I'd paste.

No way Charlton are getting 20mill for Bent. If Spurs get him for 10m I'll be gutted!

The same paper also links Saviola to Man Utd for three years on 50k a week. He wouldn't be a bad signing!?! Bit out of our league maybe.

I said Bent to Spuds as well, but was told to pipe down! :roll:

Saviola just sells himself out to who will pay him the most, the bloke is an idiot!

If he moves to Utd i will eat my own head, just his agent fishing for the move!

Positives:-

Leadership:

- England Under 21: 18 appearances, 11 as captain. Undefeated as England Under 21 captain. (P11 W7 D4 L0)

- West Ham United: 142 appearance, 100+ as captain, 11 goals. Lead club to promotion and an FA Cup Final.

- Milton Keynes Dons: 64 appearances, 25+ as captain, 6 goals. Club's youngest ever captain.

Physical Attributes:

- Pace: Able to sprint away from most midfielders when he charges forward.

- Power: Very rarely loses a 50-50 with an opposition player when in possession.

- Stamina: Able to cover all of the pitch and then some. Outlasted Gerrard easily in the FA Cup Final.

Defensive Work:

- Tackling: 135 successful tackles made last season. With a success rate of 87.4%. World class statistics.

Fitness Record:

- Injuries: Only had 2 significant injuries at West Ham United.

Other:

- Intelligent: Very well spoken off the pitch during media interviews.

- Experience: Been Promoted, Faced Relegation, Played In Europe, Played In An FA Cup Final, Faced Administration and much more.

Negatives:-

Technique:

- Passing: Has a very limited range of passing, particularly when going forward.

- Shooting: Tends to snatch at shots, making his shooting accuracy very poor. Only 31.8% of shots on target.

- First Touch: Quite often his second touch is a tackle, which leads to counter attacks losing momentum.

Mental Attributes:

- Substitutions: Tends to get easily upset when he is substituted.

- Criticism: Does not respond well to criticism. Be it from the media or from the fans.

- Off Field Problems: Was the alleged 'leader' of the infamous "Baby Bentley" brigade at West Ham Untied.

Goals/Assists:

- Goal Scoring: Scores around 3-5 goals a season on average. Good for a Defensive Midfielder, not enough for a Box-to-Box Midfielder.

- Assists: Gets very few assists, as he plays very few "killer" balls. Needs lots of work on this.

A very raw player who really is the personification of a "rough diamond". Could be mouled into a really high class central midfield talent, or could never really improve technically and progressively get worse as he loses his physical attributes. I think it depends completely on who is his manager for the next 2 to 3 years and whether they have the managerial and coaching ability to turn him into the high class player he threatens to be.

Just read this about Reo-Coker on another site. Made for interesting reading IMO. Wouldn't mind him here, would still maybe prefer Barton though?!

NRC would add to what MON is building though - young, british and pacey. I like.

Only problem is that Barton is a dick! He ain't misunderstood or anything like that, he is just a fully fledged clearing in the woods and is currently trying to get himself a move but won't put in a transfer request because then he won't be entitled to a cut of the transfer. His agent Willie McKay is often quoted and is someone that I regard as a clearing in the woods.

Positives:-

Leadership:

- England Under 21: 18 appearances, 11 as captain. Undefeated as England Under 21 captain. (P11 W7 D4 L0)

- West Ham United: 142 appearance, 100+ as captain, 11 goals. Lead club to promotion and an FA Cup Final.

- Milton Keynes Dons: 64 appearances, 25+ as captain, 6 goals. Club's youngest ever captain.

Physical Attributes:

- Pace: Able to sprint away from most midfielders when he charges forward.

- Power: Very rarely loses a 50-50 with an opposition player when in possession.

- Stamina: Able to cover all of the pitch and then some. Outlasted Gerrard easily in the FA Cup Final.

Defensive Work:

- Tackling: 135 successful tackles made last season. With a success rate of 87.4%. World class statistics.

Fitness Record:

- Injuries: Only had 2 significant injuries at West Ham United.

Other:

- Intelligent: Very well spoken off the pitch during media interviews.

- Experience: Been Promoted, Faced Relegation, Played In Europe, Played In An FA Cup Final, Faced Administration and much more.

Negatives:-

Technique:

- Passing: Has a very limited range of passing, particularly when going forward.

- Shooting: Tends to snatch at shots, making his shooting accuracy very poor. Only 31.8% of shots on target.

- First Touch: Quite often his second touch is a tackle, which leads to counter attacks losing momentum.

Mental Attributes:

- Substitutions: Tends to get easily upset when he is substituted.

- Criticism: Does not respond well to criticism. Be it from the media or from the fans.

- Off Field Problems: Was the alleged 'leader' of the infamous "Baby Bentley" brigade at West Ham Untied.

Goals/Assists:

- Goal Scoring: Scores around 3-5 goals a season on average. Good for a Defensive Midfielder, not enough for a Box-to-Box Midfielder.

- Assists: Gets very few assists, as he plays very few "killer" balls. Needs lots of work on this.

A very raw player who really is the personification of a "rough diamond". Could be mouled into a really high class central midfield talent, or could never really improve technically and progressively get worse as he loses his physical attributes. I think it depends completely on who is his manager for the next 2 to 3 years and whether they have the managerial and coaching ability to turn him into the high class player he threatens to be.

Just read this about Reo-Coker on another site. Made for interesting reading IMO. Wouldn't mind him here, would still maybe prefer Barton though?!

NRC would add to what MON is building though - young, british and pacey. I like.

to be fair, macgill is a complete and utter c-unt....

clueless to the end and his opinion is to be taken with a large gin, rather than a pinch of salt, because he really is that **** stupid....

seriously, ignore anything that clearing in the woods says, because he really is the opitomey of fickleness/thickness/stupidity/idiocy/being a clearing in the woods, etc etc...

was only a few weeks ago that he was slating curbishly, eggertsson, reo coker, boa morte, tevez, ferdinand, etc etc...

i cant state this enough, but he really is thick as **** pig shit and makes jade goody look like she deserves the nobel peace prize...

Bent admitted to a pal: "West Ham have offered me incredible money but I'm convinced Berbatov is staying at Spurs and I'd love to play alongside him.

"I believe we could form a great partnership."

He has a very formal way of speaking to his 'pals'.

The same paper also links Saviola to Man Utd for three years on 50k a week. He wouldn't be a bad signing!?! Bit out of our league maybe.

Are you kidding, i along with others have suggested this guy about 150-200 pages back or so now and we all got slammed for it or that the player himself was shit / not leaving! :o