Which of the new batch are you most excited about?

BleedClaretAndBlue

232 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the new signings so far excites you the most?

• Aleksander Tonev
    • Nicklas Helenius
    • Jores Okore
    • Antonio Luna
    • Leandro Bacuna
  2. 2. Do you think there will be more additions?

• Yes regardless of sales
    • Not unless we sell first
    • Not even if we do sell some players

I think Jores Okore will be the one who plays the most next season, none of the others look like they are even close to challenging immediately. I think we can all agree on Lacuna just being a player to look out for in the future given the reports on him, but it will be interesting to see how he develops regardless.

I think it's "easier" to come in as a central defender in England, especially as we have seen some good Scandinavian defenders in the Prem in the past. I am from Norway, and our football culture is more on the defensive side compared to other countries in Europe obviously. Henning Berg, Ronny Johnsen, Claus Lundekvam and Brede Hangeland springs to mind. From Denmark and Sweden too with Martin Laursen, Daniel Agger and Olof Mellberg. Sweden and Denmark of course have always developed better attacking players like Fredde Ljungberg, Zlatan (not in the Prem obviously), Dahl Thomassen, Ebbe Sand, Henke Larsson, Thomas Gravesen (midfielder, I know) etc. Norway had Solskjær but he was unique in every way. Helenius will be interesting to see, but I think and I have a feeling that we have to give him at least a season before we see how good he is. He just turned 22 years old and strikers seldom deliver before they are 24-25, especially when they come from a much, much inferior league like the Danish one. Bendtner had his best season for Arsenal when he was 21 or something, but he went through the Arsenal-school and he was an exceptional talent back then. Sure he has gone down in esteem but to his credit he was transfered to Juventus after all.

Tonev and Luna don't seem like the players who will give us anything special when they arrive, but they are cheap and probably handy, so they can offer something regardless. I really doubt that Tonev is better than N'Zogbia from the go, but he starts with a clean slate and that is always nice for a new player. Get a goal in his first game and it can shape him forever.

I don't think we are finished with the ingoing transfers, here's for hoping we get some proven talent so that we can actually challenge for a safe place in the top 10 next season (where we belong!). With the ones we have now, given that Benteke stays as well, I think the season is going to be pretty similar to the last one - and a bit better. Sure we have a great bunch of young players and some who developed nicely in Lowton, Westwood et al, but there is a difference between doing well and being great. With this current squad we will never go down, and that's a nice thing, but I also doubt very much that we will challenge for top 10 unless we get some dominance from midfield.

Next season has many interesting points in it: Lowton, will he be as stable and take the next step up? Could develop into England-contention in a few years. Westwood, a solid player but needs to get more identity to his game and take a further step so we see what kind of player he really is. MANY midfielders have done what he has done already, but many have failed to take that extra step and cement their true playing style. The Premier League is filled with young(ish), hard-working and solid midfielders with a decent short passing game, but then again I hope he takes that extra level during the next season. He is not the one to score from 25 yards five times a season, but I hope he gets some more confidence on the ball, makes some more runs from midfield with the ball in his feet and passes through for our strikers or wingers to estasblish attacks. He did that last season as well, but he often collected the ball a bit down the pitch and gave it away before we had decent runs down the corridors. I have faith in him, more than not.

The ones who are going to shape our season is Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan, Delph and Weimann. Delph is impossible to read and estimate, because he could suddenly get injured and turn back to a shy, albeit aggressive tackler with no confidence on the ball. That is typical when you are young and stay away from the game a long time. Much like Anderson at United and Diaby at Arsenal. All three great talents with attacking passing game and good vision, but all **** by constant injuries. I really hope Delph gets a season where he can focus on his game and confidence, there is a 20M player in there somewhere. Weimann must develop and score more goals, Benteke must just do the same all over again and we are sound.

Get in two players who will give us some experience and automatic strenghtening and we are going places!

in order

Okore

Helenius

Tonev

Luna

Bacuna

Pretty much this - but it does remind me of last year when I disregarded Westwood and to some extent Sylla as being last minute buys just to make up the numbers. I also had pretty high hopes for Bennett for some reason. While Okore seems to be the obvious one it wouldn't surprise me if Bacuna for example turned out to be real quality.

Okore, because of that video and the fact that he turned Chelsea down because he wanted to be sure of getting playing time. It looks like he has the skills and the mentality to go very far.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

& Yes!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Surely more exciting new faces to follow............................soon.

Tonev because barring the odd one off last season we didn't have anyone who could score from distance.

We scored quite a few from distance last season.  In fact, I can't remember the last time we scored more from distance.  Lowton, Benteke, Vlaar, and Holman all scored some cracking long-range goals.

I voted for Okore, because who doesn't want to see a repeat or two of his performance against Chelsea in the Champions League?

Edited by Villain-from-Texas

Like that players are being written off and they haven't even played.

No-one is being written off. Huge difference between writing players off and lowering expecations that are always too high. If WBA or Soton signed Tonev, well we would write him off. Since we got him, then sure he must be the next Ribery or Robben. Makes no sense, and the truth is somewhere in the middle and going from a low-level league to the Premier League is a huge transition. If all the players we have signed the last two years delivered on the general expectancy on here - we would have won the league every year. Another amusing observation; last year Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Vlaar, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Weimann, Gabby and Benteke somewhat got great reviews from the general public on this forum. What is strange is that we flirted with relegation all year and ended up 15th with an abysmal goals in/out record. Again, I am not writing anyone off but I try to be a bit more reflected in terms of blind faith to everything regarding Aston Villa Football Club. I have no problem whatsoever with the young players we are buying, but it also makes me change opinion on what to expect. It is going to be slow and it is going to take time to develop these players together, I just hope Lambert is given the time to make his project pay dividends. We all know that the general lifespan for a manger is +/- 3 years at this club, let's hope that changes.

Tonev because barring the odd one off last season we didn't have anyone who could score from distance.

We scored quite a few from distance last season.  In fact, I can't remember the last time we scored more from distance.  Lowton, Benteke, Vlaar, and Holman all scored some cracking long-range goals.

I voted for Okore, because who doesn't want to see a repeat or two of his performance against Chelsea in the Champions League?

And Karim El Ahmadi scored from long-range too, although it could be classed as a mistake by the keeper. You miss 100% of the shots you don't make though!

No-one is being written off. Huge difference between writing players off and lowering expecations that are always too high. If WBA or Soton signed Tonev, well we would write him off. Since we got him, then sure he must be the next Ribery or Robben. Makes no sense, and the truth is somewhere in the middle and going from a low-level league to the Premier League is a huge transition. If all the players we have signed the last two years delivered on the general expectancy on here - we would have won the league every year. Another amusing observation; last year Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Vlaar, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Weimann, Gabby and Benteke somewhat got great reviews from the general public on this forum. What is strange is that we flirted with relegation all year and ended up 15th with an abysmal goals in/out record. Again, I am not writing anyone off but I try to be a bit more reflected in terms of blind faith to everything regarding Aston Villa Football Club. I have no problem whatsoever with the young players we are buying, but it also makes me change opinion on what to expect. It is going to be slow and it is going to take time to develop these players together, I just hope Lambert is given the time to make his project pay dividends. We all know that the general lifespan for a manger is +/- 3 years at this club, let's hope that changes.

Who has had them high, in fact no-one the bottom line is this topic is about which player are you excited by? Not a thesis about whether we rate them highly or not. It's an opinion, I'd rather this approach than building up players like Sidwell, Shorey, Warnock, remember those days or have they passed you by?

Tonev and Luna don't seem like the players who will give us anything special when they arrive.

The above was your comment, that isn't playing down expectations, that is writing them off by saying they'll basically do sod all in your opinion. No one on here as said Tonev or Bacuna will be Messi or Makelele,we just hope they are decent players and perform well for us. I wish these played down expectations were used on players like Stephen Ireland.

Good post Papillon - I'm pretty sure the Board have already showed they will back Lambert in his exciting project even if & when we get derailed. However, I do think a reality check is in order regarding expectation levels with some of our incoming signings.

Most importantly, however though, is that I feel, the Club is definitely attempting to make progress now & the fans can see it & feel it too..

Okore.

For 2 reasons.

1. He appears to be the highest rated of who we've bought. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it enhances the hype a bit.

2. IF he does turn out to be as good as we think he might, he could help to transform the team. I think we'd all agree that a better defence last season could have given us a very very different season. If Okore urns out to be the business, he could be a hug epart in really sorting the defence, which would do wonders for us.

Who has had them high, in fact no-one the bottom line is this topic is about which player are you excited by? Not a thesis about whether we rate them highly or not. It's an opinion, I'd rather this approach than building up players like Sidwell, Shorey, Warnock, remember those days or have they passed you by?

Tonev and Luna don't seem like the players who will give us anything special when they arrive.

The above was your comment, that isn't playing down expectations, that is writing them off by saying they'll basically do sod all in your opinion. No one on here as said Tonev or Bacuna will be Messi or Makelele,we just hope they are decent players and perform well for us. I wish these played down expectations were used on players like Stephen Ireland.

I think that's a bit unfair. All the guy has said is that, from the limited amount we know about these players presently, it might be a bit unlikely to expect them to come in and be really special right from the off. I don't think there's anything wrong with that opinion, in fact I think it's very sensible.

The thread actually states " which of the new batch are you most excited about ? "

None of us know how these players will turn out but based on the above criteria, my choices in order would be:

Okore ( I did mention him in a post before we were linked so delighted we got him )

Helenius

Tonev

Luna

Bacuna

Couldn't say which is most exciting as never heard of any.. Glad we are getting young talent in early. Happy that Lambert has identified weaknesses and that he has looked to rectify them. Also glad we now have players to play different formations

I'm excited for Okore because if he is as good as we hope, it will definitely improve us for the long term, him being 20 and all. Although, I am most excited about Tonev because we need goals from midfielders and from the very little I have seen of him, he may do just that. Also with the counter attacking style we adopted, the pace of gabby and Tonev would be downright devastating!

I think Helenius will be a savvy purchase and seems genuinely happy to be here, unlike Benteke who has never really seemed that endearing towards us apart from suggesting we are a stepping stone.  I Still beleive the team will stay pretty much the same from last year apart from Luna starting and Okore replacing Baker, and if Benteke stays then the forward players will remain the same.

Aleksander Tonev for me.

Bit of an unknown quantity but a former Bulgarian young player of the year who I read at one point had scouts from 6 teams looking at him. Plus I do like it when we win the race to sign a player who is wanted by a few others (Celtic, Werder Bremen etc...). 

That added to his rocket of a shot and natural two footedness... Plus he looks a real handful on YouTube :blush: .

Special mention to Helenius. Could prove to be our Bergkamp/Laudrup/Berbatov  as he seems to have all the right attributes to be a success.

Edited by NorthEastVillan
  • Like 1

Luna for me. I am hoping he turns out to be quality so I dont have to witness Joe Bennett attempting to play football week in week out.

Â