Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

I actually thought he did alright last night. Of course the 5-3-2 doesn't do either fullback favors as their CB cover rarely comes out to help.

Not great but Gnarby was generally quiet

We only played 5-3-2 for about 10 mins before Baker went off. After that it was 4-4-2 with Delph on the left. Not sure if Luna crossed the half way line.

Both Luna and Lowton seem to be suffering from the same problem at the moment.

Both tucking in very tight to the CB's, either because they are told to or because they are worried about being done with a through ball on the inside.

Problem is when the ball gets played wide they are then miles away meaning the either don't get there in time to stop the cross (see Luna on at least 5 occasions in first half and too many to count in recent games) or they rush out to close the ball so fast that they cant be properly balanced and are easy to skip past (see Lowton and his wafty lunges ever since he's been back in the team.

Obviously there is a balance here and experienced defenders know where and when to be in certain positions. We are getting it all wrong at the moment on both sides.

I would be very interested to hear G Nev do a critique on these two.

• Like 1

Both Luna and Lowton seem to be suffering from the same problem at the moment.

Both tucking in very tight to the CB's, either because they are told to or because they are worried about being done with a through ball on the inside.

Problem is when the ball gets played wide they are then miles away meaning the either don't get there in time to stop the cross (see Luna on at least 5 occasions in first half and too many to count in recent games) or they rush out to close the ball so fast that they cant be properly balanced and are easy to skip past (see Lowton and his wafty lunges ever since he's been back in the team.

Obviously there is a balance here and experienced defenders know where and when to be in certain positions. We are getting it all wrong at the moment on both sides.

I would be very interested to hear G Nev do a critique on these two.

Our full backs have been doing that for quite a while now.

Beginning of the season I thought his defensive short comings would be outweighed by his gifts going forwards but he's been shocking in that department aswell he's incredibly low on confidence, he's scared to go forwards and try things it always a short run turn back and pass it to guzan 

I thought Luna played better in the second half than he has for a while.

yes me too. Best i have seen him play in a long while!

The only reason he didn't look so bad in the 2nd half was because we were on the front foot and he had to defend far less than in the 1st. He is crap and really shit defender!

• Like 1

I thought Luna played better in the second half than he has for a while.

yes me too. Best i have seen him play in a long while!

The only reason he didn't look so bad in the 2nd half was because we were on the front foot and he had to defend far less than in the 1st. He is crap and really shit defender!

He's been hung out to dry too often:

- 5-3-2 or 4-3-3 gives him NO cover from midfield

- Delph, Tonev or Wiemann playing wide left in a 4-4-2 either defend more centrally (Delph) or never drop deep to help at all (the other 2).

Is it any wonder he doesn't want to break forward? When we lose the ball in the final 3rd again there is NO cover for him.

• 3 weeks later...

The Aston Villa team bus just passed me travelling at high speed on its way to merseyside

Luna was chasing after it with his kitbag under his arm i think he was late and they left bodymoor without him

Think Lambert forgot to tell him he was dropped for the Everton game

Culverhouse was in a car following him yelling GET BACK! WHERE ARE YOU GOING!

• 1 month later...
Â