Thoughts on establishing a coaching team of Laursen, Mellberg and Carew

DJ_Villain

This is by no means going to happen, isnt based on ITK reports or speculation of any kind.

I have supported the Villa since I knew who they were (I'm 28 - probably found out who the Villa were when I was 12)... and since then, I cant think of three players who stuck out as becoming genuine fans of the club and making a real impact.

Mellberg bleeds claret and blue, as does Laursen and even Carew said he would play for us for free... Surely they are all past it to play for us... but not to help nurture our young side and help iron out the creases and the errors.

What does anyone else think?

The strikers don't need coaching, but the defence surely does.

Doesn't follow that those guys would be good at coaching just because they were good players though.

I have always thought (and I am a bit older than you!) that too few of our ex-players go onto our caoching staff.

Obviously Brian Little (he who uses a lake as a running track) and John Gregory have been managers in the not too distant past, and we now have Sid and Stan on the staff, but I agree - surely there are those who want a career in coaching and we can help them out. However, it is one thing to give them a chance but they have to come or to scratch - we are not a charity!

Mellberg still plays for Villarreal doesn't he ? So probably not for a few years.

Laursen Is a must i'd take him on very soon.

And no for Carew. Don't think he'd suit the coaching Philosiphy.

I think it's a great idea bringing ex players through as coaches as they are usually more loyal and know the clubs traditions inside out. But we don't want too many... as mentioned above, some of them can turn out to be a disaster.

Firstly those players need to do with their life what they want to do, which might not be football related. Remember, they're millionaires these days. You'd have to really want to do it for a yearly wage equal to what you got a week as a player.

Secondly, if a coaching job were available, they would need to apply and I suppose be interviewed by Lambert (I would want the best coach appointed, personally speaking). Top players don't make top coaches/managers. How good you were at playing doesn't seem to have any correlation with ability to coach.

Finally, Carew? really? Hmmmm...

Laursen is a good shout and qutie likelly.

I don't think Carew is coach material.

Mellberg is leaving Spain in the summer but he might play on for a season or 2. Not sure if he's into coaching, at least not in the near future.

I would thou like us to someday in the future hire Juan Pablo Angel as a scout and if possible Luc Nilis as a coach

You don't just give your favourite old players jobs based purely on the fact that they were your favourite old players.  If you do that then you end up like Newcastle United. 

• Like 1

John Carew is probably the last person I would want as a coach. I find it strange that all former players are mouted as potential managers and coaches. Why? Sure they have been inside the locker room every day for 10-20 years and knows what is going on, but that is something else than being a charismatic educator. And to put it mildly; being a coach for us and living in Birmingham is probably Carew's last wish right now. He is featuring in movies, buying real estate, partying in Miami and New York and dating supermodels - and probably will for several years to come :)

How about we let the manager pick the coaches he would like to work with in his own structure. Good player doesn't necessarily mean good coach.

Absolutley - thats whats everyone overlooks - Lambert has already chosen his coaching staff. People he has worked with before. No disrespect to the players involved - but if there we suddenley dumped on Lamberts doorstep 'here's your coaching team for next season' - He wouldn't be chuffed.

Carew as a coach? That must be the silliest thing I've ever heard :D

Wouldnt mind Laursen at some point, though. But there is no way for me to know who will make a good coach, and who are better off as a couch.

You don't just give your favourite old players jobs based purely on the fact that they were your favourite old players.  If you do that then you end up like Newcastle United. 

true. but id like to keep them about the place and give them some sort of ambassador role or scouting role like clubs do on the continent and I think United trying to do something similar

Â