Web Browser

Nigel

Which do you use?

I have just had to uninstall Chrome (after years of use) as it was becoming unusably slow due to a memory leak problem.

A quick bit of research to find which was fastest led me to download Firefox.  Now I am no tech wizkid and I as wondering whether there was a better option out there?

I use Chrome because it's the fastest and because I sign in to use the Google hangouts plugin and I love how it links to Google Now. 

I would consider using the new IE if I had Windows 8 as it's supposed to be blazingly fast. 

But given the advantages of Chrome for a Google user, I'll stick with it. 

I use Chrome. But I've always been amused by people so avidly preferring one browser to another.

It really makes very little difference to me.

This was exactly how I saw things untill the slowdown started!

I use Chrome. But I've always been amused by people so avidly preferring one browser to another.

It really makes very little difference to me.

Well in light of recent events, using a google or a microsoft browser should be seen in a new context, no?

I'm happy to give. Google my data in exchange for their excellent free services though.

My worries about PRISM etc. Is to do with where the end will be with monitoring people in 10 or 20 years. If they want to gather data on everyone the will.

• Like 1

Because up until recently IE hasn't even had the technology to display sites properly.

For example when you see a curved box, or image only in the last 2 versions of IE have you been able to do this with code (css) alone in IE. You'd have to use images or whatnot for poxy IE.

All other browsers have managed it fine for years.

Basically IE has been about 5yrs behind for donkeys years and only recently addressing it.

Browser order of preference

Opera - been using it for over 15 years; have it customized (key bindings and layout, mainly) in ways that, apparently, none of the other browsers can handle; tends to handle a massive amount of tabs better than the other browsers (I have 23 open at the moment))

Chrom(e|ium) - mainly for the few sites (e.g. Google+) which don't play that nicely with Opera)

Firefox - mostly use it just for Kindle Cloud Reader now

elinks - when browsing over an ssh connection or debugging something (text-based browser)

Web, aka Epiphany - don't really use, but ranked... adherence to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and the resultant hiding of every configuration option is this browser's only selling point, and I hate the HIG (**** you, Havoc Pennington)

Konqueror - see Web/Epiphany, only s/GNOME/KDE/ ... I **** hate KDE

Safari - see Konqueror, only s/KDE/Mac/

IE - bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Simple question Levi, why?

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

Firefox with Adblock plus (obviously with VT whitelisted ;))  and NoScript to get rid of all of the flashy obnoxious shite on the web. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Chrome is alright, but for some reason, the world's largest ad company doesn't provide an API sufficient to allow NoScript to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Chrome but I'm interested in changing as I don't like Google.

I don’t like Google either, and I’ve just found another reason.

The bbc internet via google chrome looks like this

post-75-0-75243500-1372588675_thumb.jpg

And the exact same page on safari looks like this

post-75-0-00321600-1372588896_thumb.jpg

basically Google is somehow putting their piggin advert contents on a advert free site via their browser. I only recently put chrome back on, because people said it was better. It’s not Google are words removed.

Does that also happen in incognito mode? It doesn't happen for me. I'd blame your ISP before Google for that, but my suspicion is that it's because you are outside the UK (and the BBC devs are still favouring Apple users).

Â