Premier League Fixtures 2013/14:Who will lambos lions get 1st game?

Demitri_C

Wouldn't want any of the promoted clubs. Better to play them around christmas time. At home to some mid-table team would be great - West Brom, Fulham, Norwich, etc - would give the guys a chance to start positively and build their confidence which is so important for young teams. Worst case scenarios - away to Cardiff, Man U, Chelsea or similar.

anyone but chelsea.

i dont feel like getting hammered by jose live on tv for the world to see is the best way to start season

i would like an away game possibly norwich

november/december  - man u @ home chelsea away, liverpool away spurs @ home arsenal home city away and get a game against a promoted side at home

Compiling the fixture lists is a hugely complicated process which must be done each year and which cannot even begin until after the Championship play-off final when the full line-up is known for each division.

Some of the preparation though is done in the weeks before when questionnaires are sent to clubs for requests and input on dates to avoid. The questionnaires and date requests are also considered by each club's local police force.

Neighbouring clubs across the divisions are paired together to ensure they do not play at home on the same dates. For example, in the West Midlands Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers will be at home when Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion are away.

Other criteria include:

• Wherever possible clubs should have no more than two successive home (or away) fixtures, excluding cup draws.

• All clubs should have an alternating sequence of home and away Saturday fixtures at both the beginning and end of the season

• Any club away on Boxing Day* should be at home on New Year's Day and vice versa. Local derbies are avoided on these dates but equally, journeys should be minimised.

If possible, clubs should have an equal number of home and away fixtures on Bank Holidays**, if applicable

• Clubs playing in the Europa League on a Thursday will have the option of moving a Saturday fixture to a Sunday so, where possible, these should be home matches

These factors are all programmed into the fixtures computer which then produces a first list for initial review by the compilation team who consider date requests for games which have not been satisfied. Then a second review is done with the clubs, the FA and the national supporters goups It is almost impossible to create a schedule which meets all the requests but many hours are spent planning to minimise the problems and make sure that no clubs is unfairly treated.

source: http://premierskills.britishcouncil.org/learn-english/how-fixtures-are-produced

As usual, we'll get one of the promoted clubs away for our first match

It does seem like we get one of the promoted teams in one of our first few games each season.

I think the fixture list is probably based on the previous seasons to start with before they then adjust for all the different permutations.

The first couple of matchdays often have lottery tendencies. I would prefer getting two top teams in the first two matches. Maybe getting a couple of decent results if we're lucky. Then Sunderland at home, and we're off with a flying start :) The usual crash landing in December, then a secound half of the season like the one we just had. top 10.

Away to Chelsea wouldn't be as bad as away at Cardiff or Palace.

Expect a big loss at any time of the season, and they won't have any form, a point is a great way to kick the season off, a loss isn't deflating. Cardiff and Palace fans will be right up for it and a winnable game becomes a trickier affair.

Away to Chelsea wouldn't be as bad as away at Cardiff or Palace.

Expect a big loss at any time of the season, and they won't have any form, a point is a great way to kick the season off, a loss isn't deflating. Cardiff and Palace fans will be right up for it and a winnable game becomes a trickier affair.

Absolute rubbish.

Our players and fans will be well up for it too. Give me Palace over Chelsea any day. More chance of getting a win on the board, start as we mean to go on.

Man U at home..worked out well the last time.

yep. Utd at home 1st game after a season with a new manager who closely avoided relegation. I like the symmetry! Top 4 and a cup win would be lovely :)

Palace at VP would be nice.

I completely disagree. Promoted sides are at their most dangerous right at the start of the season. Still full of the joys of promotion and the momentum that can go with that. Best to wait for them to have the optimism kicked out of them by some top 4 hidings and then play against a crippled hopeless heap of a team around November :)

I'll take a home tie against any of the lower half sides from last season. Sunderland would be a larf. In fact they'll probably be a larf all season.

• Like 1

I agree latest reports are that Di Canio is going to have them training 3 times a day!

Hopefully we will get them around the back end of Christmas when they are all burnt out and knackered

United at home could potentially prove to be a huge springboard. Don't think they'll be as unstoppable anymore and we nearly turned em over last time out. Our team has improved significantly since then, and if we beat them I think it can spur us on to great things this season. One can dream.

Â